Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1990 4runner fuel line replacement

Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 4runner fuel line replacement

I'm not very good at this and my Haynes manual is missing. I see yet another problem with my more-worthless-by-the-day machine: the fuel line is leaking (spewing actually) where it connects at the top of the engine on the passenger side. I'm assuming I will have to replace the line from there down to the fuel filter. Like I said, I know only enough to keep me away from a real mechanic some of the time. Can anyone give any advice on this? Is it something I can do with the usual tools? Is it even something I can do at all, since I don't know what the hell I'm doing? I'm pretty short on money or I'd just take it in. This is only one of about six other serious problems, but I don't think I should operate the thing at all until this is fixed, even if it's a temporary fix just to get it to the shop a few months from now. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:36 AM

Can take a pic of the leak and where exactly it is? Or a very detailed description(engine size ??), There is a junction for the fuel line by the frame, accessed thru the front pass wheel well. So you won't be replacing the line to the fuel filter.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a flexible high pressure fuel line between the fuel rail and the hard line that goes to the filter.

Your 90 4-runner is probably similar to this 93 FSM:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html

Last edited by mt_goat; 11-20-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:46 AM

The engine is a 3.0L. It's the high pressure flex line that's leaking. Right around where it connects to that... "thing" with a 90-degree angle which goes into the engine. How difficult is that to take out? Like I said, I don't have a manual, which is dangerous for me. I have to try this myself if I can, because I'm dead broke and this is my only means of transportation - no buses or anything else out here (rural area).
Old 11-20-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SunFox
I'm not very good at this and my Haynes manual is missing. I see yet another problem with my more-worthless-by-the-day machine: the fuel line is leaking (spewing actually) where it connects at the top of the engine on the passenger side. I'm assuming I will have to replace the line from there down to the fuel filter. Like I said, I know only enough to keep me away from a real mechanic some of the time. Can anyone give any advice on this? Is it something I can do with the usual tools? Is it even something I can do at all, since I don't know what the hell I'm doing? I'm pretty short on money or I'd just take it in. This is only one of about six other serious problems, but I don't think I should operate the thing at all until this is fixed, even if it's a temporary fix just to get it to the shop a few months from now. Thanks for any help.
Well, first off, apologize to you mechanic. We have had plenty of the fuel pulsation dampners leaking and it leaks around the area you mentioned. Will require removal of the air plenum. Its a spendy part. I think close to $95! Carfeful, fuel runs on the starter motor area, could mean "fire". I might be wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SunFox
The engine is a 3.0L. It's the high pressure flex line that's leaking. Right around where it connects to that... "thing" with a 90-degree angle which goes into the engine. How difficult is that to take out? Like I said, I don't have a manual, which is dangerous for me. I have to try this myself if I can, because I'm dead broke and this is my only means of transportation - no buses or anything else out here (rural area).
I'm assuming by "that... "thing" with a 90-degree angle which goes into the engine.", you mean the connection to the cold start injector? There is the fuel line going to it as well as an electrical connector? Are you leaking right at the "90-degree fitting"? If so, there are gaskets there that could be leaking. Or is the line itself actually damaged and leaking?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Ran into this myself where the rubber portion (about 2 feet from the engine) expanded, breaking a metal clamp and allowing the threaded portion of the metal tube to began sliding apart. This caused fuel to leak near the starter.

Looking at the 20 year old fuel line and rusty fuel filter - Does anyone know if the entire fuel line can be replaced with a full tank of fuel? If I disconnect the fuel line at the tank and engine using a catch, does this seem to pose an issue?

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited by BeenYota; 09-04-2011 at 02:20 PM.