General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Removing lug stud, ran into a problem

Old 09-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing lug stud, ran into a problem

I have 3-4 total stripped lug studs and I finally got out to replace them today. I have read many many posts and articles about replacing front lugs on a 2000 Taco and apparently I should be able to pound it out with a bhp through a slot in the back. I looked over the back of the hub/disc assembly thoroughly and found no such slot. There is one small area where I can barely feel the disc turning but I can't feelt he back of the studs. I figured I would try pounding on one of the studs at various positions til maybe I felt it give. Well, I found the sweet spot. My problem is, after a few medium pounds, the stud popped right out but didn't come out the other side. When I spin the wheel, I can hear it bouncing around in the bottom of the rotor/hub. If I shine a light inside the rotor from the bottom and look up from the bottom, I can see it bouncing around in there. My problem is...how the heck do I get it out of there? And where is this supposed slot for when I do the others on here? It got dark real fast so I had to call it a night. I loosely put the wheel and remaining lugs back on and will go back out in the morning. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

anybody? im about to go out and work on it again having kind of a clue what i doing...
Old 09-10-2006, 08:57 AM

I had to take off the whole rotor to change my broken front studs, it is a huge PITA. I had to remove the rotor, pound out the damaged stud, and then pull a new one back through using the lug nut with a few washers to act as spacers. You will want to repack the bearings after the rotor is back in place. With the rear drum brakes you can just pound them out without removing too many parts, but I had no such luck on the front disk brakes of my '97 T-100. For your sake, I hope the Tacoma is easier. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

i just finished the job. it was a pita to get my rotor off but i finally got it. once i put the the rotor back on and it was securely in place, i was able to slide the caliper back on and do all taht good stuff. i pulled the new lug in as tightly as i could but one question that could make this easier...how do you stop the front wheels from spinning? i guess i could ebrake the rear and shift into 4wd and reverse (for safety), but i hadnt done that previously and the 4wd wasnt engaging right away. anything i can do for in the future? also, why do you need to repack the bearings and how do you do that? i took it on a test drive around the parking lot and brakes worked fine and all was well. is it really necessary?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:16 AM

to keep the wheel from spining its the same as chainging tires just snug all the lugs down then take the truck off the jacks and torque al the lugs.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 AM

Hey i have a 95 chevy lumina and i have already replaced the broken lug nut stud but not i cant get out the ones that are just old becuase they are too long to knock out does anyone know how to get them out? Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Brown_09
Hey i have a 95 chevy lumina and i have already replaced the broken lug nut stud but not i cant get out the ones that are just old becuase they are too long to knock out does anyone know how to get them out? Thanks
Here is a game that I learned a long time ago on Sesame Street.

Toyota Tacoma, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Tundra, Chevy Lumina, Toyota Pickup.

Which one of these doesn't belong...

You probably won't get very many good answers over here... since you posted in the Toyota Tech Forums. Non-Toyota questions belong in off-topic.

That being said, I don't know the brake setup on '95 Chevy Lumina's, so I can't help you.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 04-07-2015, 11:02 PM

Dont suppose you have pictures?

I have a front stud snapped and not excited on getting in there.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2015, 02:03 PM

Yea mine snapped off my 94 pickup right after I got done repacking my bearings. Will I need to repack them again when I repair my lug stud, since I just did repack them?

Last edited by keithbrents; 06-01-2015 at 02:08 PM.