Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Tires: Bridgestone Revo VS Toyo Open Country AT??

Old 02-22-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires: Bridgestone Revo VS Toyo Open Country AT??

Hey guys I'm needing to buy new tires for my 97 4runner and I want your imput on the subject. Most of my driving is on road ,however I want an all terrian tire. I'm considering the Bridgestone Revos or the Toyo Open Country ATs. I can get the Revos for $558. and the Toyos for $486.(does not include mounting/balancing). Since most of my driving is on the highway I'm also considering gas mileage ,noise ,snow and mud differances between the tires if there are any. Which one of these tires do you guys think is the best all around tire?
I had Michelin LTX ATs on my tacoma, which are the best tires I have ever had ,however they dont make them in 265/70r/16 for my 4runner. I have also had the LTX MS but they just packed up in the mud.
Revos or Toyos ???????
Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

i have the revos and for 95% road use they are great. quite, long lasting, and great in the rain. as far as off road... they are good except for the snowy stuff... but good tires all the way around
Old 02-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

nitto's, the terra graplers get a great review, thats my opinion i just dont like either that you are currently considering, the ltx m/s is a great tire but i can see how you had trouble in the mud. nittos have a good price as well
Old 02-22-2006, 07:31 PM

I've had the Toyo Open Country A/T's for over 2 years. They balance and ride better than the Michelin LTX M/S tires I had previously.

They have better traction in all conditions than the Michelin's did.

I'd say they are my favorite truck tire to date.

Toyo has also been the #1 rated tire for quality, for the last 8 years.

BTW, Nitto is a subsidiary of Toyo.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:55 PM

I've had the Toyo Open Country on mine for awhile now. I also had them siped. Mine is driven mainly on the street, so they have seen all seasons. They do great. I had the siping done to them to give them more flex and help on water covered roads. No detection of hydroplaning. I've also went out and tested them off road several times.

They're a great tire and I'd buy them again for an all around application. Ohh...almost forgot. Road noise = VERY minimal after siping too
Old 02-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

i love my new toyos coming from bfg at ko's
Old 02-22-2006, 09:42 PM

i agree, when i got my 99 Runner Ltd it had some open country a/t's with like 40% tread left. I did some research for tires and at the end of the day i just put on some new 265/70/16 open countrys. They grab well, drive well, and the noise level is stupid. I can have my window down with my head out the window and i cant hear a thing. Also i got the P-rated so they are quite forgiving over potholes. Alot of guys swear by the nitto terra grapplers and if you compare the tread design they are very similar as pointed out that nitto is a subsidiary of toyo. I was thinkin of goin that route but I have no need for a D Range LT tire.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

I ve had the revos for 2 yrs now with over 60% left of tread after 35-40k miles. quiet and work very well in rain
Old 02-23-2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by 02SE
I've had the Toyo Open Country A/T's for over 2 years. They balance and ride better than the Michelin LTX M/S tires I had previously.

They have better traction in all conditions than the Michelin's did.

I'd say they are my favorite truck tire to date.

Toyo has also been the #1 rated tire for quality, for the last 8 years.

BTW, Nitto is a subsidiary of Toyo.

Just wondering if you noticed any mileage differance between the Michelins and Toyos?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:09 AM

They may not make the LTX A/T's in a 265/70R16 (31"), but they do make them in a 265/75R16 (32") which will fit your 4Runner fine (3% bigger). I put the LTX A/T's on my 99 at 80K and am now at 145K and have LOTS of tread left.

If you like the Michelins, use them again, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Revo's or Toyo's either but they probably won't give as many miles as the LTX A/T's (although I don't have direct experience with them since my Michelins last so long...).

hupptoy
Old 02-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The LTX M/S is more or less a strictly street tire so I am not at all surprised they didn't work for you in mud (they aren't too hot in heavy snow either). The idea mud tire and the ideal road tire are on opposite ends of the of the spectrum. You want big gaps in the lugs to clear mud/deep snow while big gaps on the road make the tire very noisy and increase rolling resistance (which directly affects gas mileage). So in order to get a tire to have favorable attributes in both on and offroad performance, a compromise needs to be made.

The Nitto Terra Grappler and the Toyo Open Country are essentially the same tire casing with a different (yet somewhat similar) tread pattern. The design gives a great compromise of on and offroad but is angled slightly more towards onroad use since the tread blocks are diagonal and highly overlapping as you look across the tire (which makes it more quiet on road and handle better). These tire claim to have a UTQG treadwear rating of 500 (very long tread life), but also keep in mind there are many factors which will influence actual results

The Bridgestone Dueler Revo is also a good quality casing but this tire is angled slightly more towards offroad use and thus it would clear mud or deep snow better than any others mentioned here. These tire claim to have a UTQG treadwear rating of 500 (very long tread life), but also keep in mind there are many factors which will influence actual results

The Michelin LTX M/S is a great street tire and is going to be the most quiet out of all of the tires mentioned. The compromise you make will be in the offroad capability. The tire/tread design is actually similar to a big rig steering tire (Michelin is basically THE big player in that market) and so you can pretty much guarantee good road characteristics will result. The interesting thing to note here is that the LTX M/S load rated tires (C, D, E) have a treadwear of 500 while the non load rated are only 440. I am not sure exactly how this translates into actual tire life (I had the non load rated LTX M/S and they went 65k with maybe another 10-15k still left if you ran them to the wear bars), but good to note anyway. I also doubt that on average the Toyos/Nittos would be easier to balance than the Michelins since Michelin does make the best casing out of any of the brands mentioned (hence their price).....individual experiences may vary.

I am surprised no one has ever tried the new Goodyear Fortera HL or Tripletread tires because they should also be very high treadwear (about 540), but will not be nearly as good as the Revo or the Grappler/OC for offroad use because of the lack of tread gaps. The HL is even closer to a big rig steering tire design (Goodyear is also a big player in this market) than the LTX M/S so my bet is it would give you very long tire life and also very low road noise.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-23-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:45 AM

How about the Yokohama Geolander A/T's? I have them on my 4Runner and I love them. They are awesome on road in all conditions and they do great off road to.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by brokefence
Just wondering if you noticed any mileage differance between the Michelins and Toyos?
If you mean gas mileage, I noticed no difference.

If you mean treadlife, it's a little early to tell. But at this point they have lots of tread left, and I wouldn't be surprised if they lasted as long as the LTX M/S.

Both tires were the same size, LT 265/75R 16 load range C.

The Michelins lasted a long time. 70,000 miles. But they required constant rebalancing. Every 3000 miles, they would need rebalancing. Actually they would need it before that, but that was how often I would get them rotated.

The Toyo's have a much better ride, and haven't needed rebalancing since they were initially installed.

They weren't balanced with any fancy adaptors (Haweka), or on a special machine (Hunter GSP 9700) either.

IMO, the Michelin's are way overrated.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:07 PM

Well...there IS one thing I forgot when I previously posted. It took them 3 different times to get my Toyo A/T's balanced right. Seems there was something wrong when two different people tried balancing them. Even though I was told that they were 100% balanced by each of them. I had to give them a ration of ÅÅÅÅ because they never got it right the first time and they were spose to be the best there were at balancing tires. One guy that tried it, told me that he'd stake his job on it.

After they were done, I hit the streets and continued to the freeway. Well, the tires were out of balance at 38mph, and again at 63mph. I went back the next day after work to let the guy who balanced them know, but the guy beat me to the draw. He came at me with a big grin saying "well...their dead on aren't they?" I laughed out loud and said... "You better start looking for a new job bud". He said "WHAT?" I just laughed. Then I told him that it was worse now than it was before he touched them. The guy got mad.....which I expected.
I pulled the truck in the bay and he was spittin nails. He pulled every wheel off the truck and commenced spinning them up. I just stood there smoking a cig and watched from a distance. After about 25 minutes passed and he had one left to spin, he turned to me with a dumb founded look and stated.....you're right !!! I can't get the damn things balanced...seems 3 of the tires are bad.

I just gave the guy a smirk.

The establishment [Les Schwab] I purchased the tires from sold me the tires for half price due to me having to waste 6 hours of my time so they could get it figured out....LOL
Old 02-23-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by sasquatch
Well...there IS one thing I forgot when I previously posted. It took them 3 different times to get my Toyo A/T's balanced right. Seems there was something wrong when two different people tried balancing them. Even though I was told that they were 100% balanced by each of them. I had to give them a ration of ÅÅÅÅ because they never got it right the first time and they were spose to be the best there were at balancing tires. One guy that tried it, told me that he'd stake his job on it.

After they were done, I hit the streets and continued to the freeway. Well, the tires were out of balance at 38mph, and again at 63mph. I went back the next day after work to let the guy who balanced them know, but the guy beat me to the draw. He came at me with a big grin saying "well...their dead on aren't they?" I laughed out loud and said... "You better start looking for a new job bud". He said "WHAT?" I just laughed. Then I told him that it was worse now than it was before he touched them. The guy got mad.....which I expected.
I pulled the truck in the bay and he was spittin nails. He pulled every wheel off the truck and commenced spinning them up. I just stood there smoking a cig and watched from a distance. After about 25 minutes passed and he had one left to spin, he turned to me with a dumb founded look and stated.....you're right !!! I can't get the damn things balanced...seems 3 of the tires are bad.

I just gave the guy a smirk.

The establishment [Les Schwab] I purchased the tires from sold me the tires for half price due to me having to waste 6 hours of my time so they could get it figured out....LOL

I bought my Toyo's at a Les Schwab store too. No problems with my experience though.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:07 AM

I had almost decided to buy the Toyos because they are cheaper in price, now with one member having 3 bad tires and a balance problem I still dont know.
Has anyone else had problems balancing the Toyos?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:18 AM

Tires can be "balanced spot-on" on one machine and "way out of balance" on another. The machines get knocked out of calibration. Check the machine's calibration date.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 PM

Toyo AT review.

Mostly highway driving but monthly offroad Western CO.

I went through 3 sets of more expensive Bridgestone Dueler somethings on my '98 4Runner SR5. 50k rated but I never got close. Max 35k.

Tried a set of the Toyo AT's with the more aggressive tread since we go offroad and have snow issues at our place on the Western Slope in CO.

Better mileage and traction with the AT's. My last set will reach 40k easily. Very quiet for the aggressive tread, stable, no flat-spotting, possibly the roundest tires I've ever owned with almost no wheel weights needed to balance. (and they just don't seem to go out of balance.)

I will put a third set of the AT's on by winter. Very pleased.