Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Engine Ticking Revisted - Sound Clips

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Ticking Revisted - Sound Clips

Trust me folks, I have read every possible ticking thread there is on this internet, and I kind of have an idea what my engine tick is all about (3.4L V6).

It's definately nothing EVAP related, as this is a completely different sound at a completely different location. I know for a fact it's coming from the engine, and if anyone could help me pinpoint the problem via the sound clips I would appreciate it. It's driving me crazy especially since I think it's getting louder.

Is it something I have to worry about? Something I can fix. It's annoying, not in the cab but the engine doesn't purr like it should from the outside, it's loud enough for others to hear it too.

Any help is appreciated, if you need me to try something or answer any questions I would be willing to because I want it gone!!!

Here are the sound clips:

http://www.marko3xl3.com/sounds/engine_tick_1.wav
http://www.marko3xl3.com/sounds/engine_tick_2.wav

It shouldn't be too hard to make out, just listen closely, it's a pretty prominant sound compared to the rest of the engine.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:10 PM

I've got the same thing to a lesser degree... yours sounds like a diesel! Mine sounds like it's up top but it's hard to give location to sound sometimes. I may get an automotive stethoscope to narrow it down, have you tried that yet?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98LimitedCustomized
I've got the same thing to a lesser degree... yours sounds like a diesel! Mine sounds like it's up top but it's hard to give location to sound sometimes. I may get an automotive stethoscope to narrow it down, have you tried that yet?
I didn't use an automotive stethoscope, I just used a nice long garden tool which is metal at the bottom with the a hollow handle up top, works just like a stethoscope. I held it up to the EVAP components and to my ear and I can definately hear their clicking (which is silent without my poor mans stethoscope) so I know it works. I have also tried holding it up to my headers, valve covers and the intake but I wasn't able to intensify the clicking. And I definately don't like the diesel sound . Anyone have any other ideas, I really don't wanna have to ship it to the dealer yet
Old 10-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id try and pull the codes from your computer...it may be throwing codes just not lighting up the check engine light.

maybe you need a timing belt?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Ah, I'd have to say forget the timing belt.... that breaks and you don't run.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Nic

This might sound crazy, but when was the last time you changed your oil? My Camry started ticking a few months back. It had never done that before even though it is an older high mileage car. I changed the oil/filter and it quit. I don't why it was oil related, the oil in the car was not that old.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

The timing belt sticker says it was changed less than 10k miles ago (when it was being "certified" at the dealer). I changed the oil about 1k miles ago (Mobil 1 5w-30).

Good idea about the codes, I am gonna go borrow a reader from autozone and see what's up, hopefully nothing.

I just hope it's nothing bad, but either way I still hate that loud ticking sound, doesn't sound THAT much like a diesel in real life .

Last edited by marko3xl3; 10-17-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost sounds like your Valves. Id pull the valve cover and check em
Old 10-18-2005, 08:10 AM

When you say Headers do you mean the stock exhaust manifold?
If you do then ignor this message.

Do you have the TRD Headers? If you do I would check for a small crack at the collector above the O2 sensor.

I have the TDR Headers and I have a small crack there that I can hear the tapping sound. I can hear it coming from around the passenger side wheel well.

Good luck finding the noise.

KOda4
Old 10-18-2005, 08:14 AM

How many miles do you have on the truck? Did it start right after your oil change? Does the tempo (not that its musical to our ears ) increase with engine speed?

I would consider what Mike said and check the valve clearance. Also if its not under warranty then consider doing it yourself as its not very hard for a first timer with manual/yotatech help.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:02 PM

Check the fuel injectors. I've heard them click like that before, Try a can of good fuel injector cleaner (seafoam, techron...?). Since it's so prominent you may want to used a concentrated dose! If that doesn't work them I'd start investigating valve train nose. Could be valves out of adjustment, plugged oil return, lifter or something else.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Which cylinder # does the sounds seem to be most prominent?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ive got a tick like that, (almost a knock) but mine is diffently comming from the bottom end.

(ill see if i can shoot a quick vid of it)
Old 10-18-2005, 12:22 PM

I have the same ticking on mine and a buddy who has a Taco has the same thing. It gets more noticeable as the engine warms up. I think it's the nature of the 3.4. If you find anything, let me know.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, that does sound like a diesel.

It is either valves or an exhaust leak, but it sounds alot like valves to me without hearing the engine in person.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:29 PM

i have an '88 3.0 that sounded exactly like that, but LOUDER. the dealership said it was a rod knock and that i would need an overhaul or a replacement. i thought it was BS so i asked some friends. i even verified with a poor man's stethoscope that the clicking wasn't coming from the engine itself. i tried some seafoam in the crankcase and gas tank and that quieted the noise down a LOT. after reading the boards, i'm thinking the noise could be from lifters, injectors, or valves. hopefully they just need some cleaning.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

My makes a ticking sound more like metal tapping noise. It seems to very audible near the spark plugs holes near the driver side.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

I do have the stock exhaust manifold, I just call them headers anyways .

I have tried a seafoam treatment and even techron (per directions though) and it really didn't help much. This has been going on for longer than one oil change already too.

The fuel injectors might be the culprit but I don't really know how I would find out without sending them for testing and cleaning.

The sound sounds to be coming from the drivers side and the most rear cylinder looking at the engine from the front, I don't know which # that would be though.

I also know a friend who has a Tundra V6 with the 5VZ-FE and it definately does not tick. It's a 30k engine, and mine is a 123k engine which makes me think it's the valves because they do tend to get off-spec, and maybe that's the same thing on yours and your buddies AZ4ME. And yes, it gets more noticable as it gets louder.

I don't think it's an exhaust leak, because when I had my muffler installed, they checked that so that's pretty much out of question.

kevin444: Mine does not sound as much as a metal noise really, but we still might be having the same issue?

About taking the valve cover off, I gotta say that I have never opened up a car that much and I really wouldn't trust myself with it right now especially since it's my DD and I need it every day. Eventually enough...

My only option then seems to be to take it to the dealer for a valve adjustment, how much does that usually run as far as $$$? A lot of people say they did that and it didn't get rid of their ticking, but in my case I am optimistic.

Maybe I should also try to run through some seafoam in the gas tank, intake again and maybe even the oil and let it run through for some hundred miles and then change the oil, we'll see.

I hope I answered everyones responses, you guys have the best ideas. I'll keep you updated for anyone else who has this problem, maybe they can fix it too.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

Have you checked your Spark plugs? A badly lose plug can make a ticking sound. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NathanBERG
Have you checked your Spark plugs? A badly lose plug can make a ticking sound. Just my 2 cents.
Might be, but that will be fixed when the valve covers come off. Anyone know how much the dealer charges for a valve adjustment?

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Revisted - Sound Clips