Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Factory Alarm: To Beep or not to Beep.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Alarm: To Beep or not to Beep.

About 50% of the times that I arm/disarm the factory alarm the electronic "Beep" does not beep. The alarm works correctly and it locks/unlocks all of the doors as it should, I just don't know why it doesn't "Beep" sometimes. Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions of what could be the problem?
Old 01-08-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
???

Not sure if this might help, but I thought I'd mention it.

My 2000 Maxima had a factory alarm on it that was selectable. You could turn it off, or turn it on at will.

If you had it selected to beep at arming, you could make it silent by holding a door open when arming (no beep). If this is the case, and you've had the doors all closed while getting intermittent results, then maybe a door pin switch is on its way out.

Good Luck.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:26 AM

That sounds like the case. On my '98 BMW M3, the factory alarm would allow to me to make the arming or disarming silent depending on the remote. I think if I held the arm and disarm buttons together, that was how to make it silent and not silent.

Danny
Old 01-08-2003, 07:38 AM

the alarm on both mine and my moms car has a vallet switch, and switching or pressing it in some pattern while the car is in the on position would turn on and off the beep. I always bump mine with my leg or feet cuz its down in the footwell.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:29 AM
96SR5Limited

i have the exact same problem,,, MOST the time it doesn't beep but every once in awhile it will beep. Also sometimes.. when i press the button to arm and lock the car.... ill arm it then try the door to see if it worked and the doors will still be unlocked and the alarm is not armed so i have to do it again.. but somtimes it will lock it its weird..... i want to know how to make it always beep and not to beep when i want.... im clueless......i went to the dealership the toyota one. and asked how to work the alarm and they said the bottom button did NOTHING not a thing..... so i dunno? ne help?
Old 01-08-2003, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Factory Alarm: To Beep or not to Beep.

Originally posted by Runner4 About 50% of the times that I arm/disarm the factory alarm the electronic "Beep" does not beep. The alarm works correctly and it locks/unlocks all of the doors as it should, I just don't know why it doesn't "Beep" sometimes. Anyone else notice this?
My '96 started doing this about a year ago, just once in a blue moon or two. These days it's about 50% of the time. It seems to track with the cold, i.e., it's more likely to not do it when it's colder. But "colder" here is only about 40 degrees.

I haven't looked into it, but I suspect that there may be a relay involved which is just showing it's age.

96SR5Limited said...
...and asked how to work the alarm and they said the bottom button did NOTHING not a thing
That's not quite true... It's used in some of the feature programming. Here's the programming manual for the RS3000:

http://www.toyotaguys.com/viprsalin.html

Check the first page of the section called "RS3000 Programming & Adjustments".
Old 01-08-2003, 11:15 AM

I'm not sure if this is any help, but a few people have already mentioned this, but on my Xterra I have the keyless entry and factory alarm. And I can activate/deactivate the horn beeping (instead of a beep, my horn honks when I arm the alarm) by holding down the arm or disarm button for a couple seconds. I'm not sure how it works on the 4Runners, but possibly one of the buttons on the remote is stuck?

Good luck with it

-Braden
Old 01-08-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by 91Runner ...by holding down the arm or disarm button for a couple seconds.
Eeek! Don't do that on a 4Runner! That's the Panic mode!

You'll set off the alarm, and the only way to clear it is to put the key in the ignition and turn it to ACC.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:00 PM

Alarm

This is for factory TOYOTA alarms only. ( I DONT KNOW )
IVe seen this problem before. I two cases i was the intergrated relay causing intermittin no lock or no un-lock. But the beep 50%
of the time is weird. I belive that other customers have complained but was unable to duplicate at the time.

Tonight i will search the TSB's. I will try to post my findings tonight or on FRIDAY.

Seeya then. Kxpaul.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:38 PM

When I start walking away from the truck and click the remote to lock it, I do not hear the beep sometimes. I have noticed that the sound is actually very soft/low. It's kind of the visual thing... if you see the lights flash then you can hear the beep. But if you don't, half the time you won't hear the beep. But this dosen't shouldn't happen if you are standing right next the your ride.

Just my .02.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks mpulver!!!

I have really wanted to get that stupid autolock/unlock feature off ever since i got the car! and now i don't even have to go to the dealership!

Also, my truck has just started doing the same thing and as this is the first winter Ive had the truck (and i have noticed it does it when its cold too) it would make sence that its a relay...

Last edited by turboale; 01-08-2003 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by turboale Thanks mpulver!!!
You're quite welcome. I'm always happy to give back to those I've learned from!

I have really wanted to get that stupid autolock/unlock feature off ever since i got the car!
This was a special issue for me...

My rear hatch light switch is stuck closed, so if I unlock and take too long to load something into the back, then the truck will lock again and of course the alarm will reset.

A couple of times the light switch has freed itself while I still had the back open. Which means... HONK! HONK! HONK!.... HONK! HONK! HONK!

Then it's a mad dash to the door, unlock, pop the key in... argh.

...(and i have noticed it does it when its cold too) it would make sence that its a relay...
Cool.. Good to hear that someone else can tie the weather to this. I'll have to get out the Chilty and see what I can find.

Mark