Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

22r engine help

Old 09-09-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r engine help

ok, how do i get more power out of this 22r 4 banger. i got the sr5 model. the only thing i've done to improve it was cut off the muffler and put a straight pipe through it. what about removing the air conditioning unit and replacing cap and wires and plugs. how much hp is lost to that fan? any help here would be appreciated. or websites that i could look on for info. i also heard something about running these engines on propane. that might be down the line if i ever figure out how to do it.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From my experience, the only reason I know of (someone else might offer more insight) that people run off-roaders with carburetors on propane is to traverse steep inclines. With a carb, on a big incline, the bowls can empty out and the floats won't let them fill up because of the incline, which the propane induction solves.

As far as more power, breathing is the name of the game, more air in, more air out, more power. More flow in through better air induction and more flow out through that staright pipe should help a little. Getting rid of accessories always helps. An easy fix for the A/C drag is if the belt only runs the compressor, take it off and that takes care of that. No more power loss and all the A/C components are still there, should later you decide you do want air. A fan if I remember correctly sucks about 5 hp out of a motor. Thats a rough guess, so don't hold me to it.

A tune up, if it hasn't had one in a while will always help. Cap and rotor, plugs and wires, if needed, can give a vast improvement in power. Remember to change the air filter too. I worked on a 94 4Runner with the dirtiest air filter I had ever seen. Changed it and saw not only a little more umph but 5 mpg better at the pump.

Hope some of this helps!
Old 09-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Banned

www.lcengineering.com www.downeyoff-road.com check those out....
Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by colsoncj
From my experience, the only reason I know of (someone else might offer more insight) that people run off-roaders with carburetors on propane is to traverse steep inclines. With a carb, on a big incline, the bowls can empty out and the floats won't let them fill up because of the incline, which the propane induction solves.
Depends on the design of the carb. Some will overfill the bowl(s) and flood the engine.

You can't get too much extra power out of a 22, unless you move up to forced induction. Your next choice is an engine swap.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good call Shane, thanks for the help, either condition, if I remember correctly, the propane allows you to keep on runnin at any incline.

I also agree with Shane, without forced induction or other real expensive mods, your not going to get too much out of it. If you want some power, and have a bit of money to spare, search on the forum for a 7mgte swap or something similiar. I remember seeing a thread about someone who swapped one in.