Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 4runner, what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
86 4runner, what do you guys think?

Ok im totally new to this, I also didnt know where to place this thread so I did my best. ive been looking around at 1st gen 4runners (because they are awesome) and I came across this one.

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3953211594.html

I need the truck for camping and hunting and later down the road modding it up. Im not to mechcanically inclined, but im going to try to teach my self, if I buy it I would get the chiltons guide and work on it by myself (not taking it into the shop), what are your guy's opinion? The guy is willing to part ways with her for $2,000 with out the extra part listed in the ad. Shes not pretty and kinda beat up but would she be a good buy or should I hold out and wait for something not as beat up? I also got some close up of some of the problem areas if need be. Thanks for all your help and support.

1stGenYoda
Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I guess there idea of a rough body is quite different then mine!! looks better then all of mine

This is a hard call to make take it for a ride see how it drives

Make sure 4X4 system works both high and low.

It appears well taken care of.

You can`t fault someone for having new parts I understand that all to well

I have seen different driving styles cause things to fail.

You might need to be putting in a clutch replacing the brakes the normal things that need doing.

Has the timing chain been done

Try and find a Factory Service Manual for whatever you end up with.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 PM

I have given it a test drive and the gears and clutch seem good, although I think the fan clutch is bad because the fan doesnt quite down. If you take a closer look you can see the dents and some rust starting, also shes been in a wreck here are some pictures of it closer.

86 4runner, what do you guys think?-forumrunner_20130820_004552.png

86 4runner, what do you guys think?-forumrunner_20130820_004537.png

86 4runner, what do you guys think?-forumrunner_20130820_004617.png

It also might have a cv axle or two bad because a full steer it make a noise (not belts, more of a clicking sound) and the guy said shes out of time.

I think the timing chain was one of the extra parts he had, dont remember if it was done or not, by him at least

It still has the owners manual too.

Last edited by 1stGenYoda; 08-19-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 AM

What happened to it that it had to have a "reconstructed" title? That worries me for you more than anything else.

IMHO, 2k tops is about what its worth WITH the extra parts, but thats just me.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It looks to be in great shape. These trucks are 20 plus years old and tend to get neglected on maintaince so its condition isnt a big surprise as far as that goes. Price is going to vary depending on your area.

A Factory Service Manual can be found on ebay for a reasonable amount if you are patient enough and keep looking. I do not care for a Chiltons Manual. It is to vague in some areas. A Haynes Manual is set up alot better for someone with little to no experience. With a FSM,Haynes, and this site, there is about all of the info that you will need to get it to the shape that you want to be at.

As far as being in a wreck, I would have a bodyshop to check it out and make sure the repairs were done right or if it needs to be done. I cant see the damage in the pictures and even pictures dont show what damages there maybe.

Sounds like the owner has tried to make you aware of its problems but expect more. It is better then any one that I started with and I have 3 runners. 2 on the road and 1 waiting to be worked on someday/month/year???
Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd jump all over that in Pa.. Unless the frame is rotten or bent. 4runners locally are non existent..

The "R" title is a tricky thing, a lot of people won't touch them. Keep in mind it does not take much to total a vehicle any more.. Really, I had a bent bumper and a tweaked fender on my 89 F150 and it was totaled. I understand folks that would walk away from an "R" title but it's becoming a fact of life. Unless you planned to flip it , It wouldn;t bother me as long as nothing obvious wasn't repaired correctly. Honestly no one will know unless you show them the title.. If people are passing on it because it was totaled, good for you. It's close to a 30yr old vehicle.

I would step up and buy the spare parts also try $2500 cash in hand.

just my opinion, I'm sure this is different on the west coast..
Old 08-20-2013, 04:41 AM

for 2k, i would jump on it too! check the frame for rot, the motor if it craps out is fairly simple to fix, replace. these are getting so hard to find. GET IT!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:44 AM

when you turn the tires at full lock they are hitting on the bump stops. that's what usually makes noise. when you get it just smear some grease on the bolt ends every once and while and the noise stops.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 AM

Red face

If I did not have two 4Runners of that generation and needed one I would buy it!!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 AM

Ya the guy has some extra parts but if I do go for it, ill buy her without the parts and get my own lafer to save money now and get some better parts later (like better shocks than just stock replacements)

What does frame rot look like?

I took a look underneath, but nothing that really caught my eye... there was some build up... I think?? Im not really sure, like I said I am totally new to trucks, 4x4's and what not, ive got a corolla right now that I treat like a truck and its time for a change.

I drove it to a guy (a dude in his 20's) but hes had 86-94 toyota trucks all 4 bangers and he said this one is rough and would pay 2 TOPS. But he flips cars too.

I told the guy ill give him an answer in the next day or so, and as far as the wreck? I think he bought it like that, he bought her back in april of this year, is there any way to check to see when the R title was put on? Without spending like 30 bucks for a carfax?

1stGenYoda

Last edited by 1stGenYoda; 08-20-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:39 AM

86 4runner, what do you guys think?-forumrunner_20130820_073739.png

86 4runner, what do you guys think?-forumrunner_20130820_073751.png

86 4runner, what do you guys think?-forumrunner_20130820_073800.png

These are more of the "problem areas" and the dents look bigger in person the picture dont show the dents too well

1stGenYoda
Old 08-20-2013, 07:53 AM

As a 1st gen 'Runner owner I can say that for $2k I would buy it.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:59 AM

I know Ive got to put some money into her and the guy has already put some into her.

I guss im just looking for a clear understanding of body rot, to make sure shes not going to fall apart on me lol
Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1stGenYoda
I know Ive got to put some money into her and the guy has already put some into her.

I guss im just looking for a clear understanding of body rot, to make sure shes not going to fall apart on me lol

take some time and poke around the classifieds... A nice clean original runner with a rough interior just sold for $5500 and I bet there was a line to get it.

There's a first gen here in PA with no lower body panels selling for $2500... If I didn't just get my 94 truck, I'd be buying this out from under you and gladly dropping $1000 for shipping. But this is north east talking. Have you seen better truck out there? You know better than us. I'm only going by the pics you provided if you're on the fence then just pass. There's nothing worse than getting in over your head..
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 AM

Ive seen some better 4runner but for alot more money too, I cant afford anything over 3K really (for cash in hand). She drives pretty straight and interior is pretty clean, i think he said the top has never been taken off as well, but does that mean the seal would be shot?

I can keep you guys up dated and if I end up snatching her up ill post a picture of her with a newly painted top and rims (the old spray paint budget job)

and if i get her ill have to find some Oregonians to wheel/camp with and help me out lol

You guys got any places to look for parts and replacement? Ive got a pick-a-part pretty close and I guess i could search the internet and something, but is there anything specific that has help any of you guys out?

Thanks for all your help, and giving me some ideas of what to look out for.

1stGenYoda
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 AM

Just had to chime in. I think that is a screamin' deal!

CV joints pretty much never go bad so long as the boots are intact. If you are worried about them, just check that.

Frame and body rot do not seem to be problems on the west coast the way that they are in the rustbelt.

I think a few dents are a good thing on a truck. If you buy one that is pristine, you won't want to do anything fun with it. Buy it, run it into a few trees and have a blast with it, and I bet you will still find someone on Yotatech here that will buy it from you in 10 years for $2000.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM

My plans for her if I get her is to paint the top and the rims black, and fix the fan, and check out the cv? full steer issue, and make sure shes in time.

my guess is that if she hasnt been too abused in the past she will last me for a but with regular maintenance.

you guys out there with the 22re, 1st gen 4runners, any regrets on buying them or just a blast with minor headaches, but something that can be easily over looked?

it would be my first 4runner, truck, 4X4, old car. alot to think about but im feeling better about it and am thinking about jumping on the opportunity...

1stGenYoda
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
The only thing I was going to say was to point out that it would be very easy to paint the top black with Rustoleum but I see you are already considering it. I just posted a link to download the Factory Service Manual in an earlier thread today. Download on to a flashdrive cause it's a couple of thousand pages. Search my name for my last couple of posts. Gottta go or I'd find it for you.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks that should help alot, also save me from buying the haynes or chilton guide right?

1stGenYoda
Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Red face

Well All I can say is just spend time reading the threads on the first generations

Only you can decide what it is you want .

that age 4Runner is in good shape compared to the ones in the great salt belt.

One I have to restore needs a floor and the front cab mounts the body looks like it was in a demolition derby .

Quick Reply: 86 4runner, what do you guys think?