Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1990 Toyota 4Runner 3VZE vaccum line gas leak??

Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Toyota 4Runner 3VZE vaccum line gas leak??

Hello,
I have a 1990 Yota 4Runner SR5 3.0L 4X4 with the 3VZ-E motor, I have recently replaced the timing belt, the water pump and thermostat, the cam shaft belt tensioner,and the cam shaft belt idler. while I was pulling all of this out I decided to do an EGR & Pair removal, I made sure I marked all of the vacuum lines while removing everything, but following the recommendations from (2) posts about where the vacuum lines go after doing an EGR delete, I believe something isn't right...here is what is going on, after replacing the timing belt, and replacing all of the fluids the 4runner started right up, (I was pretty happy since I am not a mechanic at all) the vehicle runs better then ever, but when I shut it off all I can smell is gas leaking, and I can see it dripping onto the ground, but I cannot find where it is leaking from, my question is could I have put a vacuum line in the wrong place?? what could I have done wrong, any help would be very appreciated...( and hopefully since my last post I will actually get help and not get my post hijacked!)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The answer would be sure you could have put something back in the wrong spot, Not sure that would make it drain fuel. Go over the placment untill you're certain it's all hooked up correctly. You're the only one that can see it, so unless you can provide good clear pictures (Overview, and details with good light), you're on your own here kinda.

If you can see it on the ground you just need to follow it up to the source. Could be loose or broken connections, or maybe the charcoal can. But those are just guesses, because you didn't mention where you found the puddle.

P.S. Your thread wasn't hijacked just slightly detoured when you weren't posting responses to peoples suggestions Did you get the codes figured out, hint: they yell you what to check in the far right column sometims with page numbers even.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
The answer would be sure you could have put something back in the wrong spot, Not sure that would make it drain fuel. Go over the placment untill you're certain it's all hooked up correctly. You're the only one that can see it, so unless you can provide good clear pictures (Overview, and details with good light), you're on your own here kinda.

If you can see it on the ground you just need to follow it up to the source. Could be loose or broken connections, or maybe the charcoal can. But those are just guesses, because you didn't mention where you found the puddle.

P.S. Your thread wasn't hijacked just slightly detoured when you weren't posting responses to peoples suggestions Did you get the codes figured out, hint: they yell you what to check in the far right column sometims with page numbers even.

Sorry for the delay getting back with you, I been under the hood trying to trouble shoot the problem, I thought I had put the vacuum hose on wrong, but that wasn't the case, some how while putting back together the motor after the timing belt fix, in one of the late night fixes, I stupidly did not put the bolts back on that hold the fuel rail & injectors down, so that problem solved. As for the codes when I did get them to come up I found that the O2 sensor code came up (code 21), and also code 51, the switch condition signal. But anyway I do have it running right now, hearing some noises under the hood that have me scratching my head, and I drove it the other day and now my speedometer doesn't work, and the O/D light will flash on and off once in a while, I may have knocked the sensor loose when I was replacing the bulb for the CEL light in the instrument panel.
anyhow, thanks for your help.