Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

86 Turbo pickup motor/swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Turbo pickup motor/swap questions

I have missed my old truck and decided I wanted another toyota. Tonight I bought an 86 turbo truck, Cleanest truck I have seen of this age EVER. The bad is that the turbo is blown and the guy said a shop diagnosed it with needing a top end rebuld/new cylinder rings (The motor will run and even drive as is, just very low on power with the turbo not working) I have a couple options, I am not very mechanicly enclined. I could get a shade tree mechanic off craigslist to rebuild it (not going to be able to afford $100/hr labor) or I was wondering if I could get a regular 22re to swap into it...or open to other ideas....

Looking forward to making some toyota friends and hearinging thoughts on which direction I should go. Thanks for the input!
Attached Thumbnails 86 Turbo pickup motor/swap questions-turbo.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
The original motor has oil passages for the turbo stock, the 22re does not also different compression for the turbo, my advice save the cash and get it rebuilt, I'm sure someone else will chime in for possible other differences.

And of course save the money and do it right will be cheaper in the end, and lets see some more pics of this turbo monster

Last edited by Discombobulated; 01-28-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM

i looked into a good rebuild and by the time I pay someone to do it right, ship it off to oregon rebuilders, get it back and put it back in im going to be about 2500-3000, I bought it for $775 and I think i could sell it for 2k, I posted it on craigslist for 2300 and already had a few hits on it. I may sell it and just try to find one running and driving...seems like the smarter option, but it would be cool to have a turbo....
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by John Wondra
i looked into a good rebuild and by the time I pay someone to do it right, ship it off to oregon rebuilders, get it back and put it back in im going to be about 2500-3000, I bought it for $775 and I think i could sell it for 2k, I posted it on craigslist for 2300 and already had a few hits on it. I may sell it and just try to find one running and driving...seems like the smarter option, but it would be cool to have a turbo....

You got such a good deal to begin with to get a sweet running truck you will be in the same boat possibly with more miles and no turbo??

You don't have someone local that can rebuild??

I mean if its clean everywhere else you paid 775 for a turbo truck so you dump 3k into it and 3750 BAM your done? Clean turbo truck for a pretty good deal I think anyway.

But I looooove turbo trucks so I might be nuts

Something to ponder on anyway, let us know what you do!!

Last edited by Discombobulated; 01-29-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 PM

ok so here is an update....I have dug arround and researched it for quite some time....here is what I came up with...

Oregon engine rebuilders W/lifetime warranty (they said they will mod it for 20%HP gain for about $300) total of 1500 (shipping $350)

found a local mechanic that will yank it and put the new one in for $400

the only thing I need help with is how to rebuild the turbo.....anyone have thoughts or know a place that people have had good results with? I called one place and they said $300 to rebuild it....

im sure there will be 2-300 dollars worth of random things, belts fluids and such....

anything I should watchout for or tips? I have never done anything like this before and am kind of nervous to throw this kind of money at the truck and have something major go wrong....thanks everyone! I will post pictures throughout the process....
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to remove the exhaust flange on your ct20 turbo and check for cracks between the wastegate and the exhaust turbine housing. They are prone to cracking. If it is cracked...it's a boat anchor! If it's okay you can buy rebuild kits for these, if you try to take it apart yourself, the retaining nut on the shaft is left hand thread.
A common upgrade turbo for these engines is a ct26 off of a 7M-GTE supra, do a search on this you will find that there is not a lot of work to this upgrade. Also if you want to know more about these engines check out this website. Many of your questions will be answered here. http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 AM

I might just do that turbo upgrade! Between that and the upgraded parts I'm going to put into it during the rebuild I'm guessing I'd be close to 200hp, which would be kinda fun! Thank you for the reply! Motor should be coming out later this week!