Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4 - Replace Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4 - Replace Engine

Hello everyone,

I have a basic knowledge of Honda only. I replaced couple Engines and Transmission on Honda Civic between the year of 1996 - 2000, but I NEVER TOUCH TOYOTA at all.

I just bought a 99 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 V6 with 240k miles. It's an automatic. The Engine is bad due to the # 5 Cylinder Block and the Head Gasket. I know it's a big job and painful but, in this case, I plan to get it done by myself. I want to replace the Engine, so I need your help on the steps and pictures if you have them written on somewhere. Thanks.

Last edited by Newby; 01-23-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Newby
Hello everyone,

I have a basic knowledge of Honda only. I replaced couple Engines and Transmission on Honda Civic between the year of 1996 - 2000, but I NEVER TOUCH TOYOTA at all.

I just bought a 99 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 V6 with 240k miles. It's an automatic. The Engine is bad due to the # 5 Cylinder Block and the Head Gasket. I know it's a big job and painful but, in this case, I plan to get it done by myself. I want to replace the Engine, so I need your help on the steps and pictures if you have them written on somewhere. Thanks.
I'm not sure that there's a complete writeup on a 3.4 swap. Get a FSM or Haynes manual and label, label, label as you go. It's really not that complicated.

Unbolt trans from motor, unbolt motor from bay, unbolt y-pipe (on passenger side, down to exhaust), disconnect cables/hoses/wires, and take out old motor.

Whatever new motor you get, depending upon how many miles/condition, consider doing a timing belt service and valve cover gaskets while you have the motor out. They're much easier to do while you have the motor out. Also, you may as well go ahead and get intake manifold and intake plenum gaskets and some RTV to avoid trips to the parts store.

There are a couple of really nice writeups here on how to do the complete timing belt service.

Then, just reverse the process. I'm not a mechanic, and have only learned on my 4Runner, but with the help of a mechanically-inclined buddy, it took us two days to do the swap. That included trips to the parts store, a couple mistakes (one of which required dropping the oil pan again, scraping gasket again, and re-installing).

As far as tools go, you will need a big 19mm socket to turn the crankshaft pulley bolt, both to do the timing belt service, and to turn the motor to unbolt the flywheel from the torque converter. This bolt is torqued to around 220ft/lbs, so it's hard to get off. If you don't have a breaker bar, you'll likely need one. Even more so for the camshaft bolts (I think they're 16mm or maybe 18mm) which are nearly impossible to get off without a SST or a homemade belt holder tool.

Also, you'll need a lot of socket extensions, with a swivel to get the trans bolts out. They're not fun, but not really that difficult, just tedious. Same for the flywheel bolts.

Also, you'll need a 24mm socket to get the oil cooler off. You may not need this if your new motor comes with one, but mine didn't so I had to swap from my old motor. If you do swap the oil cooler, get a new o-ring and sealing washer. (Look around for the part numbers for these, the o-ring goes against the block, behind the cooler, and the washer goes under the bolt).

With adequate preparation, patience, and the right tools, you can do it. Best of luck to ya!

EDIT: If you do decide to go through with it, post pictures along the way here and if you hit any snags, the kind folks of YT will surely be willing to offer advice.

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 01-23-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Thank you so much for your help and subjection. I'll try to post as many pix as possible in here. I'll try to get the Haynes Manual but if you don't mind, can you direct me to the FSM or any Repair Manual Service and the complete Timing Belt Service links?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thank you so much for your help and subjection. I'll try to post as many pix as possible in here. I'll try to get the Haynes Manual but if you don't mind, can you direct me to the FSM or any Repair Manual Service and the complete Timing Belt Service links?
Here's the writeup I used to do the timing belt. You can obviously ignore almost half the steps that have to do with working while the engine is in the car.

http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...lt/timing.html

Here's some part numbers for you. You might be able to re-use the plenum gaskets from your new motor, but they're cheap, so you may as well replace them. Also, just FYI, the intake manifold gaskets will probably be crap (both were on 2 donor motors I had) and they're not cheap. I got a FelPro set for around $80 if I remember correctly. This isn't a big deal, just figured I'd give you the heads up. I was a little surprised at the price.

Valve Cover Gaskets: 11213-62020
Plenum Gaskets: 17176-62040
Oil Pan FIPG: 00295-00103 (you can just use RTV black from the parts store)
Oil Cooler O-Ring (goes under cooler against block): 90301-67004
Oil Coooler Washer (goes under bolt on top of cooler): 90210-22001

Here's a link to a 2002 FSM, which should be mostly the same. I didn't even really use my Haynes manual during the swap, except when we did the valve covers. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known to use a little RTV at the half-moons when replacing the valve cover gaskets. Aside from that, you have a complete timing belt writeup, and everything else is just reversing what you've already done. But, it's good to have something to refer to if you get stuck somewhere or are unsure of something. Also, good for torque specs, since you'll be doing a lot of unbolting and rebolting.

http://tacoma.site40.net/4Runner_96-...es/repair.html

Also, if you're planning to do the timing belt service, you should look on Ebay for some kits with all OEM parts that are much cheaper than buying the parts at the dealership. With a quick search, you'll find timing belt kits that range from $100-$400. Some have less stuff, some have lower quality stuff. I got one that was around $375 or so, but it came with everything, and all OEM stuff from Toyota.

Keep us updated! Best of luck to ya!

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 01-24-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM

98SR54RUNNER, thank you so much for your kindness on everything (the Timing Belt Writeup link, the FSM link, etc). I strong believe that the Writeup is very helpful for me. I'll try to search for the Timing Belt Kits on ebay. I'll get back here to let you know very soon.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM

I've done this recently.

I used this thread mostly.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...e-removal.html

Used a JDM engine from JDM Engine Depot in Jersey. Feel free to PM me if you got questions.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

98SR54RUNNER, thank you so much for your kindness on everything (the Timing Belt Writeup link, the FSM link, etc). I strong believe that the Writeup is very helpful for me. I'll try to search for the Timing Belt Kits on ebay. I'll get back here to let you know very soon.
No problem man! Lots of people have helped me out around here, I'm just glad to be able to pay it forward.

Here's a link to all the timing belt kits on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...r+3.4&_sacat=0

Here's the kit I got off Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-TIMIN...4a37e8&vxp=mtr

You can go cheaper, but most around here would highly recommend getting all oem stuff for the timing belt replacement.

Just post back here if you have any problems or issues along the way. There are a lot of people here that are far more knowledgeable than I.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM

Mordgier and 98SR54RUNNER, thank you so much for your kindness. I hope they'll help me a lot for those Writeup and ebay link. God bless you.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah! I did it too with a lot of help from buddies on here.

My thread is here or you can G00GLE darn motor swap.

Make a journal on here so we can help.

See ya