Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Jerk/Jolt at low speed Braking-Vibration.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jerk/Jolt at low speed Braking-Vibration.

I have posted a similar thread like this before for my step dads truck. He did not really care for the jerking/jolt at low braking and said it didn't bother him so i kinda forgot about it....... HOWEVER! I myself have recently bought(Back in August 2011) a 2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtra-cab V6 3.4L(5VZFE) 4WD. I told myself that i would not ever buy another yota and only ever keep driving my 86 4runner and my 81 pick-up(project truck). But a friend of mine's bank was having a huge killer deal for used car loans at 2.49% intrest!!! I was like Oh em gee i'm on top of that..... Anyway... off topic.

My tacoma does the same thing my step dads truck does only its a little worse.... and unforutnatley it bugs the living hell out of me and i'm trying to remedy the problem.

Ok heres what it does.....

And low speed Crawl braking, like when coming up too a stoplight and creeping to a stop there is a heavy jolt/jerk that comes from the rear of the truck. Its kinda like someone dropping a cinder block in the bed of the truck feeling. But once the jek/jolt has pasted at that particular stop it will no longer do it until i drive it a few miles or few hunderd feet and repeat another slow crawl stop. Now the jolt/jerk is worse the slower i creep to a stop. But if i just pull up to the light and stop like kinda fast it won't happen as much OR once i let of the brake to take off from the stopping postion it will jerk/jolt.

There is also one other thing with i think is tied into the same issue area. Every time i take off/accelerate from a stop i have drive line vibration for about 1-2 secs then its gone and there is no vibration at all ever any other time except when i take off at a light or from a stop. <-- Kinda vibration like your spining your tires in the rain.

Interesting eh? Bugging the Sh%$#%t outta meh!

I've tried a few things already:

-Replaced Rear brake drums
-Re-sufaced Factory Drums
-Sanded brake shoes
-Re-adjusted rear brakes x5 ---^
-Greased Drive shaft(s) and U-joints and Yokes

^--- All of which made no difference at all.

I have few other slight ideas of things to do... -_-

But.. >_< Opinions?

Name:  177.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  80.3 KB
64K miles

Last edited by Kiroshu; 03-30-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like the slip yoke in the rear drive shaft needs greased.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Unfortuantely that is not the problem.... Well i mean i've greased it twice.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 AM

Anyone... Q_Q
Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 PM

Nobody? I've been told by a few Tacoma owners it seems to be common issue... 193 views... >_<
Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the U-joints, gotta think of what is all involved in the rear end coming to a stop, you have the drive line that is slowly spinning, axles and axle bearings and then the drum brakes that you have already ruled out. Check your u-joints for play, if thats not the problem then move on down the list. Usually a vibration accelerating from a stop is going to be bad u-joints, the jolting could be the rough spot that gets amplified when turning slower.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Well i mean thats the thing... I thought that when it first started happening shortly after i bought the truck that it was in the drive shaft and that either 1 or more u-joints were worn... however both the front and rear u-joints are tight and have no play at all....
Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 AM

An update!

This is a long time update and an old post >_<...

But yea about a month ago i finally decided to replace the driveshaft center support bearing with a brand new one from toyota.(200$... -_-) While the drive shaft was out i decided to grease it fully with lithium grease recommended by none other than toyota ^_^.

I also removed all those dumba$$ washers someone put there as well...

Ok awsome deal in progress after replacing the bearing and greasing the shaft entirely my vibration on take off is totally GONE! Which is sweet because it was bothering me so much. And for about 2 weeks after that the jerk/jolt was pretty much cut down by like 90%.... however after about 3 weeks... 4weeks... the jerk/jolt has re-appeared... the vibration on take off is gone still and forever but the jerk/jolt has returned...its still not as bad as it used to be but its there and still mind boggling.... The only other thing i was planning to replace which is sitting in my house right now are the rear shocks...

I got a pair of brand new straight from toyota rear shocks... i'm hoping this helps some... i plan to put them on soon when i have the time....

Happens with steady braking and coming to a stop but once you let off the brake... it Jolts from the rear then its fine until ofcourse i stop again...

anyone got any other ideas? ^_^ thanks

Last edited by Kiroshu; 06-21-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you looked at the leaf spring bushing and the shackle bushings? Is the rubber dry rotted and gone from them...? This could be where your play is coming from.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Have you looked at the leaf spring bushing and the shackle bushings? Is the rubber dry rotted and gone from them...? This could be where your play is coming from.
Yea i thought that too but i checked the springs and everything looks fine... no play with weight applied or not... i mean the truck only has 67k miles...
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 AM

Another slight update... replaced rear shocks with the OEM toyota ones and it seemed to help a little but not entirely....
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM

Have you checked your axle seals...if they have any leaking it will gum up your brakes. Sounds exactly like what my rig did with bad seals...try stopping in a gravel paring lot to see if your tire hangs up and drags in the loose gravel.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 PM

^-- thanks for input but unfortuantely no the seals are not leaking at all rear brakes are dry ^_^

My next and prob last plan of action i'm going to take toward this is to disassemble the rear brakes entirely and lubricate them.....

Thinking maybe sticking brake shoes on the contact sufaces on the backing plate....

Running out of ideas as you can see...

If doing this does not fix it.... i will prob just let it be and try to live with it... i guess...

unless some other thoughts come into play...
Old 06-30-2012, 03:56 AM

Ive been playing around more with the truck and it seems if perform very hard and erratic stops the jerk/jolt seems more exagerated....

It kinda seems like something is slipping or like.... pumping? Feels weird...

Still need to try lubricating the brakes... been soo busy at work... and its like 110 degrees out side.... >_< BLEH
Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Have you checked your transmission mount?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure its coming from the rear?
Could be a sticking front brake caliper
Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 PM

I have since sold the truck still never resolved the problem entirely. Seems to be the nature of the beast. As I recently purchased a new 2012 Tacoma that does the same thing but not as bad. Think its just design.