Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a Pull Pal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mounting a Pull Pal

Anyone have a Pull Pal, and if so, how did you go about mounting it or storing it?
Thanks in advance.
Josh
Old 01-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I've had one for years, never used it much, mainly because I don't have a good way to carry it. I do plan on adding a munting bracket for it on my rear bumper tire carrier.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:17 AM

phalanx...

Garvin Industries makes a roofrack mounting system. I believe it sells for something like $80-$90. I haven't seen it in person yet, but it seems like you might be able to adapt it to fit your rack.

robb
Old 01-26-2004, 08:35 PM

Im thinking this might work with a little modification

Yakima Multimount
Old 01-28-2004, 09:39 PM

What kayaks are those on your Runner? They look like Ocean Kayaks but the front of the yellow one doesn't look right.

My dad and I have 5 Ocean Kayaks, and 4 Necky kayaks(2 sea, and two whitewater).
Old 01-28-2004, 10:18 PM

The yellow kayak is a Cobra Fish n Dive, The grey one is a Cobra Explorer.
I mainly use the Fish n Dive for fishing the bays and along the coast. I got the smaller Explorer as an extra for friends.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:29 AM

A few months ago I would have scolded you for buying a slow, poorly built kayak. I still have the same views as far design and quality, but I'm no longer a fan of the Ocean Kayak/Johnson Outdoors company. Let's just say, when your sales are up, all your dealers are happy, your employees are working hard, you have people doing twice the work they are paid for with a smile on their face, why the heck would you fire your Sales Director? They did a few stupid moves leading up to this, and have done a couple stupid moves after too.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:51 AM

The kayaks I have get the job done I guess. I really wasnt looking to win any races or do any serious touring, if so I would have picked up a Necky or Seda. Mainly I just paddle out a few miles to the kelp beds and have at it. With all the gear on board like a bait tank, sonar, tackle, more than a few rods, and an occasional yellowtail or white seabass, a 36" beam comes in handy. In terms of the quality, yea there not fiberglass or kevlar, but the polyethylene really takes a beating. I also dont mind the factory defects that are a few hundred bucks cheaper.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:05 AM

That's cool. When I lived in San Clemente, I'd paddle about a mile out to the kelp beds, tie my kayak to them and I'd spearfish for calicos. I would occasionally fish from my kayaks too. I have a friend in Oceanside that goes out routinely 3-5 miles out and gets the big stuff. I'll try and dig up a few pics.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:19 PM

Aaanywho. The Pull Pal fits nicely in a double rifle case. Ill probably just take the case and strap it or bungee it to the roof rack for trips.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Phalanx
Im thinking this might work with a little modification
I did... The Yakima Mulitimount works great as a Pull Pall mount for a roof rack.

The plastic clamps that came with the rack to hold the mount to a bar werent strong enough to keep the mount from moving so I drilled two holes in one of the main roof rack bars and monted them directly.

Weak bar clamp
(It does work with lighter stuff like paddles)

Drilled directly thorugh a bar on the Yakima roof rack
(Theoretically you could drill and mount these anywhere where the pull pall can fit. With longer bolts you could mount it to tube bumpers/rollbars etc)

Here are the mounts on the bar

For the straps I used two 2 foot straps from Northwest River Supplies. I didnt trust the thin rubber straps that came with the mount. The NRS strap has a "bite" buckle to keep the Pull Pal that much more secure on the trail.

The straps were than strung through one of the buckles the pull pal was laid on in the mounts. To secure the blade the strap was strung though two of the slits and then back through the second buckle on the mount. The rear end was just strung through the two mount buckles over the pull pal.

Heres the front end secured

And the rear

Cool part is the Yakima Multimount is only about $40 bucks.

Last edited by Phalanx; 04-09-2004 at 06:37 PM.