Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

87 4runner SAS wont turn right :((

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4runner SAS wont turn right :((

hey guys.. got a question to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

was comming back from camping-snow wheeling over the weekend.. made the 2 hour trip home with no problems. was at a stop and making a right hand turn. midway through the turn it was like i lost power steering.. but even worse i could not steer it to the right.. even when i tried to muscle it just wasnt moving, after making a 3 point turn i was heading straight down the road again. at the next light i turned the wheel left and right with no problems at all.. steered right just fine. made it pretty much all the way home from there and it did it again when at a stop sign and making a right hand turn. i parked the truck last night, came out today and it still will not turn right. i dont see any visual problems at all.

the truck has welded spiders in the rear with arb in the front. i did use the arb over the weekend so im hoping its nothing with the front locker.

you guys have any ideas as to what i should look at first or a way to diag and find otu what is going on?

sorry for the long write up but i am very concerned
ty for your time

oh yeah and there are no problems when steering to the left

Last edited by CreepyCrawlr; 12-12-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Stripped gear in the box? Got enought power steering fluid?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:28 PM

the power steering fluid is fine so im guessing that means its the gear box. figured it was just wanted to make sure it wasnt soemthing else before i went and got a new gear box
ty for the reply
Old 12-18-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Does the steering wheel turn right at all? Or is it locked up?

When you turn left, does it turn It right to a sertain spot then stop or once you go left there is no going back kinda thing.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 12-18-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 AM

Wont turn Right or left sometimes

Hello, I have a 87 with S.A.S and a locker in the front that does the same thing. I don't think its the gearbox though, because it only does it for me when im in 4x4 and the front hubs are locked in. When i unlock 1 hub it wont do it, or when both hubs are locked in and it acts up if I back up a few feet sometimes it allows it to steer again.. This is driving me crazy also. I have checked for steering bind, ect... When it does happen it feels like someone put my wheels in a vise. Has anyone else had this problem or have anyother solutions besides the gearbox? thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I bet both of you guys that had/have this turning issue have a broken birf bell..... and a chunk of it broke loose and is catching sometimes when you try to turn.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by clintpetes815
Hello, I have a 87 with S.A.S and a locker in the front that does the same thing. I don't think its the gearbox though, because it only does it for me when im in 4x4 and the front hubs are locked in. When i unlock 1 hub it wont do it, or when both hubs are locked in and it acts up if I back up a few feet sometimes it allows it to steer again.. This is driving me crazy also. I have checked for steering bind, ect... When it does happen it feels like someone put my wheels in a vise. Has anyone else had this problem or have anyother solutions besides the gearbox? thanks!
clint---reading your thread again, it looks like you have something else going on....are you sure the gear ratios match each other... front and rear? excuse the double post

Last edited by ZUK; 03-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM

same thing happens to me on my 86 4x4 truck when either i turn left or right it seems like the front wheels are locking up and seems like my rear tires are jumping ass if the diffs were locked, i have a feeling its the CV axles
Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its normal for it to buck in 4wd on dry pavement, as your t-case couples your front and rear axles together with no slip on it like an awd center diff would have in other models.

Broken cv or birfield can cause no steering.

Before you slap a box on, jack the truck up and put it on jack stands. Try to steer. Disconnect the tie rod at the wheel one at a time and see if you regain steering. With it disconnected, steer the wheel by hand while spinning the wheel to see if it turns. If everthing turns fine when disconnected. move on to disconnecting the drag link at the pitman arm on the steering box. Then try steeering. If it still doesnt steer then you have a bad steering box.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clintpetes815
mine does the same thing what was the problem?? Im lost on mine. birfield?? Thanks Michael dye.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Dye007
mine does the same thing what was the problem?? Im lost on mine. birfield?? Thanks Michael dye.
If you have a locker in the front you won't be able to steer very well at all when your hubs and the locker are engaged, every wheel on your truck is turning at the same speed. if you are on hard pack or pavement and try to turn when stopped one side tire needs to roll backwards a little while the other side rolls forward and it can't do this with the locker engaged

Last edited by akwheeler; 05-25-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts