Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

06 Tacoma with aftermarket alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Tacoma with aftermarket alarm problems

I was looking through the forums for an answer, but couldn't find one, so here goes:

I have an after market alarm (Viper, though I don';t know the model) for my 06 Tacoma. It will not unlock the doors anymore. I will lock, remote start etc. It has been this way for about 7 months, but I finally got a bit frustrated with hitting unlock to turn the alarm off then unlocking the doors with the key.

Previous advice seemed to be replace the batteries, which I have. I have tried the original keyless entry modules, still no go.

What should I be doing? The dealer looked somewhat clueless to it when I asked them a while back.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 AM

in the drivers side kick panel, the lock wire should be blue with a black stripe, and the unlock should be solid blue. check to make sure the factory plug didnt come loose somehow, as well as check the lock plug on the brain. If it is a viper, the plug should be white with a blue and green wire coming out of them. check those to plugs and see what happens.
or you can just find the lock wires on the vipers brain, and follow them down to the point where they are tied in, check to make sure all connections are solid. does the door lock switch work inside the truck?

J
Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM

The lock switches work inside of the truck. So its gotta be loose on the Viper end then, right?

Not much of a gear head, but gonna go fumble around and take a peek regardless.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 AM

i would still check the factory plug as well as the viper plug, just to cover all bases. The viper brain will be a black box, that should have several harnesses going to it. most likely it will be somewhere up in the left corner of the underdash tucked away and zip tied to something. another easy way to find it is to just follow the wires that are coming off the ignition harness and they should lead you right to the brain. can you hear the relay clicking when you hit the lock/unlock? that will sometimes also help you locate the location of the brain, just follow the clicking sound.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 AM

The only clicking I hear is when I use the vent anymore. I think I have a leaf in the blower, but that a different problem.

I looked under the kick panel and found the blue/green wire (which I assume was from the viper unlock) was severed by the emergency break. Unfortunately, I only found one end of it and don't know where it was severed from. Could you point me where it should be before I try to put them back together?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by palkjdg
The only clicking I hear is when I use the vent anymore. I think I have a leaf in the blower, but that a different problem.

I looked under the kick panel and found the blue/green wire (which I assume was from the viper unlock) was severed by the emergency break. Unfortunately, I only found one end of it and don't know where it was severed from. Could you point me where it should be before I try to put them back together?

you are going to have to find the brain then if the lock wires got cut. The door lock plug will be a small white plug with 2 wires, one green and one blue. then just splice them back together, you may want to extend the wires and re route them so that this doesnt happen again. be sure to secure them out of the way of anything that moves, best method is a zip tie. you should be able to hear the door lock relay attempting to lock/unlock when you hit the remote. the rely should be built into the brain so that will hopefully help lead you to where the brain is located. is it a remote start system as well? if so, remote start the truck while you are under the dash and you may also hear that relay clicking from the brain. it will be a faint clicking so be sure its quiet where you are working

Last edited by drpdmazda; 09-07-2011 at 10:27 AM.