Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4runner 22re running rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4runner 22re running rich

So here's the scoop. I got this track and drove a little. had some blow by so decided to rebuild the motor. After tearing it apart I ended up replacing the pistons and the cam. So I have all new bearings and baskets and everything has been rebuilt and remachined. I put it all back together and now its running so rich it is puking black smoke. The plugs are burnt from this. I haven't driven it and won't until this problem is fixed. I have looked at the fsm and can't figure anything out. The cold start injector time switch is good. And the computer isn't throwing any codes so I'm at a loss. can anyone help me?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
is the cold start injector leaking? While torn down did you service the injectors? Have you messed with the tps, afm fuel filter or any other fuel delivery system on the efi?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Did not service the injectors as they were fine. I did not have this problem till after rebuilding it. the cold start does not leak. I put in new fuel pump and filter I have not messed with the tps other then voltage testing as described in the fsm. U can feel and here every injector firing properly. When I put it back together I lube the injector rings before installing as normal. I have replaced the afm and it is testing normal and like I said before there are no codes being thrown. I don't get it.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First just unplug the CSI wires from the CSI at the manifold. Are you sure its Black and not Blue from oil?

Second check the O2 sensor, it can be broken and still not throw codes. You may have broken it during the pull. Chassis harness plug is under the drivers seat. R&R seat to save yourself trouble.

Your plugs can only be fouled black with soot, or wet with gas. They cannot be burned, I have drag cars the run rich just to make sure they do not go lean, cause thats really bad and will melt spark plugs. Wet plugs are bad too because the gas washes the oil from the bores.

Did you touch the pressure regulator on the fuel rail? Maybe you cranked the pressure up?

Make sure all hoses and vacuum lines are right & tight, one of the vacuum lines (VSV) controls fuel pressure at startup.

Also did you use chrome or moly rings on the rebuild?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot
First just unplug the CSI wires from the CSI at the manifold. Are you sure its Black and not Blue from oil?

Second check the O2 sensor, it can be broken and still not throw codes. You may have broken it during the pull. Chassis harness plug is under the drivers seat. R&R seat to save yourself trouble.

Your plugs can only be fouled black with soot, or wet with gas. They cannot be burned, I have drag cars the run rich just to make sure they do not go lean, cause thats really bad and will melt spark plugs. Wet plugs are bad too because the gas washes the oil from the bores.

Did you touch the pressure regulator on the fuel rail? Maybe you cranked the pressure up?

Make sure all hoses and vacuum lines are right & tight, one of the vacuum lines (VSV) controls fuel pressure at startup.

Also did you use chrome or moly rings on the rebuild?
sound advice and check, double check , and check again your grounds.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Standard issue injector rings from schucks. I will check all that stuff thanks for your help. If anyone's got other ideas me know. And the plugs have soot on them. And yes I'm sure its black smoke not blue. I'm not burning oil for sure. I was originally then I replaced the valve seels and no more leak.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:37 PM

I have. I have checked double checked and triple checked all my connections as that was a problem for me before.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Sorry. What is CSI?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:44 PM

And what will plugging it do?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you but I would suggest proof reading what you write before posting. I had a hard time following what you were trying to say. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:35 PM

I have been since the first post. Thanks. I'm using my evo phone so the auto correct is a bitch
Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by YoderRunner
Sorry. What is CSI?
cold start injector. Unplugging it and so on is to see if it's leaking.

Last edited by mightymouse; 07-03-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 PM

Hey mighty mouse Long time no see. what ever came of your truck that caught on fire??? what are you working on now???
Old 07-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Unplugged the connector so it wouldn't fire.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM

You've covered most of the bases that i start to check automatically. X2 on the o2 sensor. My only other guess (yes just a guess) could be a leaky or faulty injector. Can you take a couple of pics of the plugs for us? Might give some more direction. When you do find the answer please make sure to post up the steps it took to solve the problem. I'm rooting for ya. If you have yet to do so start trouble shooting via the fsm. http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/
Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Try and reset the efi system by unplugging the efi circuit breaker in the fuse box. Then make sure your timing is correct, both cam and ignition.

The only other thing would be to see if the CSI time switch is operational. There is a procedure for testing it in the FSM and on 4crawler's sute. It might be staying on and dumping fuel into the system.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Might have missed it, and I'm not sure if it's possible.... but >>>>>>

Could his Fuel Pressure Regulator be toast? Maybe the Damper? These will NEVER throw codes.... and I THOUGHT they could cause a rich condition.

Only other thing on the "too much fuel" end, AGAIN, I'M ONLY GUESSING, not sure it's possible, lol)>>> Injector Resistor. I'm not sure a bad one would result in more fuel....just too much voltage(12v instead of 5v).

PS> I, too, would test the AFM, ....if it's not allowing enough air, MAYBE it could cause a rich condition? Eventually, YOU WILL get codes, because that type condition will QUICKLY screw up the 02.

Wishin you the best, man! Sorry for your issues.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-03-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Try and reset the efi system by unplugging the efi circuit breaker in the fuse box. Then make sure your timing is correct, both cam and ignition.

The only other thing would be to see if the CSI time switch is operational. There is a procedure for testing it in the FSM and on 4crawler's sute. It might be staying on and dumping fuel into the system.
You know, this stands out as well. My buddy has had some issues with the dizzy being off quite a bit.... he was WAY RICH and tons of black smoke. Pulled the v-cover, dropped it in right, voila! He also had an issue within the harness relating to the injectors..... WHEN it ran, it would CLOUD the garage with black smoke... But then, that thing was REALLLLLLLLLY hard to start, due to the injector wiring issues.(Pins No.10-No.20)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:05 AM

So I have tried disconnecting the CSI after its started and idling and it makes no difference. I have replaced the O2 sensor already as it threw a code for that. I don't know what else to do now.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 PM

As the Jerkinator says, "I'll be bock", lol... Sorry, gotta run for a bit, so I'll have to refresh on this one... But DON'T GIVE UP, Yoder!

Quick Reply: 87 4runner 22re running rich