Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck

Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck

After a year of part-time research and bar stool philosophy I am headed to pickup a wrecked 97 VW Passat this weekend, which contains a good running 1.9TDI 1Z diesel engine. I am also starting to acquire additional required parts that will be needed to transplant this German engine into my 1994 Toyota pickup. I will be documenting the entire process for the benefit of others who have thought about doing this swap, to see what it takes and also my own twist on this engine swap.

I chose this engine for several reasons

1. Ease of installation-there is at least on company that sells a "adaptor kit" to adapt this VW engine to certain Toyota transmissions. I have purchased a bell housing off of a truck that had a 22rte in it, this will allow me to hook this engine up to my R150 transmission and not have to make any additional modifications to the drive train. I will have to fabricate engine mounts and move the oil pan drain to the rear of the oil pan, but this is only a minor operation in my books.

2. Less weight and more power-The TDI engine is about two hundred pounds lighter so there will be less weight to be pushed around. The TDI with a little bit of tweaking will have more power than my 3.0VZE has. There is a lot of support for these engines for replacement parts and performance upgrades and tuning.

3.Less to break, I will tossing the computer controls for this engine and replacing the injector pump with a mechanical hybrid pump, so wiring to the engine will be very minimal.

Here is a list that I have compiled so far or parts needed to put a 1.9TDI into a 94' Toyota 4x4 with five speed R150 transmission.
-22rte transmission bell housing
-Acme Adaptor kit-(adaptor plate,machined 22re fly wheel,hardware
-oil filter re-location kit(the stock oil filter locations would prohibit the engine from fitting)
-Fuel/water separator/filter-I will be removing from the passat
-Electric radiator fans( engine does not have fan attached and would be to far away from the radiator
-inter cooler(needed for good engine performance to cool down the pressurized air)
-clutch kit, after reserch I will be going with a 1600lb marilin clutch
-radiator hoses(I will have to buy long flexible sections to make the hookup to my stock Toyota radiator)
-modified hoses to hook up my power steering and a/c
-Mechanical injector pump from these guys-http://www.tdi-engines.net/RebuiltMTDIPump.htm I will be going with a 12mm pump instead of the 10mm pump for some more power right off the bat
-exhaust tubing-I will be going 2.5" or 3" to make sure the EGT's stay down when I crank the turbo psi up
-Manual boost control (this was formerly controlled with the computer, but I want simplicity and will be loosing the engine computer)
-I will be using pre-fabed engine mounts from ACME engineering that are used for a Suzuki bolted to the engine, and welding up new mounts to the truck frame and sandwiching the original Toyota rubber mounts in there
-Non a/c serpentine water pump pulley and appropriate new accessory belts
There will be a few more small parts that I will add as I go and compile a final list. Below I have taken a few before pictures and of a few parts that have arrived so far.
Attached Thumbnails VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck-100_0903.jpg   VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck-100_0905.jpg   VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck-100_0913.jpg  

Last edited by hunter 4321; 11-22-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Sounds like a great idea. What are the plans for tire size and gear ratio? What tweaks are you planning for the little dub motor?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Sub'd, sounds like a cool project. I would love to do this swap one day.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Right now I am running 33" tires and 4.10 gears, it creeps slow enough for me in 4low right now and has no problem running highway speeds. I plan on seeing how it runs with the new injector pump, I will be adding a good sized intercooler then I will crank the boost up a few psi, adjust the fuel flow and see where that gets me. If that's not enough, I will replace the injectors, and replace the exhaust plumbing and turbo. I am sure that it will have all of the power that I will need with very little modification.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
its nice to see someone that goes beyond what im going todo and actually doing it! lets keep the pictures coming! subscribed!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 PM

subscribed! only seen a few of these and im excited to see how it turns out!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in! Still contemplating a swap like this in my 88.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:13 AM

theres also acouple of videos on youtube with a guy that did this swap.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:16 PM

1.9TDI 1z

Went down to Houston today and picked up the vw with the donor engine. Engine is in great shape and running nice and smooth just as expected for some German engineering. This engine sounds great, pretty quite for a diesel in my book, can't wait to crank the power up a bit on this thing and have that turbo spooling up under my Toyota hood.
Attached Thumbnails VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck-100_0924.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM

I have made a bit of progress, I have pulled the donor engine out of the passat and started to prepare for installation into the Toyota. Everything is going real smooth so far the fly wheel came off with out any problem, the adaptor plate bolted right up, and the new flywheel and pilot bearing pressed right into place like a glove. ACME did a great job on the adaptor kit. I bolted up the R151 bell housing and it looks like it is all going to bolt right into place on the R150 no problem. I have been working on deleting the EGR system by unbolting it and making a block of plate on the exhaust manifold. I will also be modifying the intake manifold by cutting of the area that is facing towards the back of the engine and has the EGR valve in ling, it looks very restrictive and as I have read, it will end up clogging up the intake manifold as the diesel soot and crank case venting makes for some nasty plaque build up that leads to power loss. Also, I will soon start on moving the oil pan drain to the rear of the pan, as I have seen from others that have done this swap, the stock oil drain will end up on top of the front differential. There is a nice flat spot on the back end of the oil pan ready for an oil pan drain to be put in. Now just waiting for the mechanical injector, pump water pump and looking for a non A/C water pump pulley and a couple shorter belts as I am getting rid of the VW a/c pump since the pump will not allow the engine to fit as the steering box is in the way. I will be fabricating a bracket to use the original a/c pump that came on the v-6. Most people I have seen doing this swap don't do a/c, but it gets good and hot down here in Austin Texas and it is working great right now, you could make ice in the cab, and there is plenty of room on the drivers side of the TDI and a bunch of threaded holes from the original engine mounts to bolt on my fabricated bracket and it will easily hook up with a longer v-belt pulley which will be tightened with the power steering pump.
Attached Thumbnails VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck-100_0927.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by hunter 4321; 11-22-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 PM

im sure a good write up on this swap would be much appreciated!
Old 11-22-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
awesome! can't wait to see some pics of the progress!

btw, are you going to go all the way with your build and make it bio-fuel/veggie oil capable? that would be sick! i'm all about that kind of stuff...someday I plan on having an Fj40 that runs on veggie oil.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Let me know if you need a hand, I can day trip it to Austin one weekend to lend a hand on a cool project!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
awesome! can't wait to see some pics of the progress!

btw, are you going to go all the way with your build and make it bio-fuel/veggie oil capable? that would be sick! I'm all about that kind of stuff...someday I plan on having an Fj40 that runs on veggie oil.
I would like to, I need to do some research to find out how this engine reacts to the use of this fuel. I started to build a small bio-diesel plant a few years ago but never got going on it. I will definitely be running a small amount of 2-stroke oil in the fuel as the new ultra low sulfur fuel does not lubricate as well and a small amount of 2-stroke oil seems to help amend this issue.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Let me know if you need a hand, I can day trip it to Austin one weekend to lend a hand on a cool project!
If I end up needing a hand I give you a shout
Old 11-23-2010, 11:56 AM

HUNTER--this is a great project--i am right here in Austin and would love to check out your project....

or help out a bit--let me know--but i definetly want to check it out.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 PM

I got some more work done today preping the engine, but not much. Engine mounts have been installed and I have found that these mounts made for the 1.9td are a bit tight near the water pump and oil cooler on the 1.9TDI, so I will have to modify the passenger side engine mount to better fit and allow for my cooling lines to fit properly.

Also took off the intake manifold to start my modification cutting off the section that contains the EGR valve, to provide for better air flow and to keep the intake from clogging up. I had a big surprise as I removed the intake manifold which was enough oily soot to fill up a large coffee cup or a coke can, I can't believe this engine was running as well as it was, restriction was anywhere from 1/4 to 2/3 clogged, and It was still pushing the passat around pretty good. Once I clean this manifold and clean the head out with a bunch of seafoam, this thing is going to have some good power.

I also located a non a/c water pump pulley needed to deleat the a/c pump which is nessasary for intallation into a toyota truck. I will be posting a picture of the new setup and a part number and new belt sizes when I get the part in next week.
Attached Thumbnails VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck-100_0957.jpg   VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck-100_0956.jpg  
Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 PM

itchin-bay! my 89 dually blew her gaskets last week at 91k. already have paper weight out of engine bay but WHAT TO PUT IN? what do you ballpark yer total at if u work for free? i live in austin and brenham.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:34 AM

Subscribed!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by bubbacrow76
itchin-bay! my 89 dually blew her gaskets last week at 91k. already have paper weight out of engine bay but WHAT TO PUT IN? what do you ballpark yer total at if u work for free? i live in Austin and brenham.
To do it right, I am just going to through $3000 out there which is my target budget for my swap, though I am hoping to end up less than that. You could probably do it a lot cheaper, but I did not have time to sit around and wait for the best deal on an engine. I will have a break down of my cost posted after the dust has settled on this project. My main cost was the engine, I am over my budget of $3000 right now, but hope to recuperate some of my funds with the sale of the donor vehicle and the 3.0VZE that is in my truck after I remove it and get the head gasket fixed, I will probably be selling this with computer, wiring harness and bell housing, and emission equipment, so if anyone wants to swap a 3.0VZE to a R151 trans, or replace your 3.0VZE it will be up for grabs later on in December or early January.

I am hoping that with this swap, over the next two years as I am mainly commuting to school with this vehicle, the difference in the amount of fuel that I burn will offset the amount the money that I am putting into this vehicle. Most of the trucks that I have read about that people have done this swap have been getting between 29 and 35 miles per gallon. I drive like an old man most of the time, so I am hoping to get some good mileage after the swap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW 1.9TDI into 94' Toyota truck