Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 22r Backfire and Bogging

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Wid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 22r Backfire and Bogging

So today, I purchased my first ever Toyota, an '88 22r 2wd 4speed Toyota Pickup. Starting out in first, the car boggs down, and slowly, studdering up to about 10mph, it'll start smoothing out and running fine, 2nd gear is pretty good, and 3rd gear is Okay, but at 65mph, I try to go into 4th, and the car wont gain speed, it'll just try, and backfire and studder. Everyone has been saying valves, or just 1. But I want to see what else it could be.

Thanks in advance for your advice, I appreciate it!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 AM

Hi, wid, try new plug wires.. fuel filter is an easy chance.. top of fuel tank, look under rear passeger side wheel well. post updates on how your doing, its how we all learn.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Wid

Thanks! I'll check them all out today, and post back in a few hours.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It sounds like it could just need a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. It is also a good idea to adjust the valves and check the ignition timing.

My cousin has a 22R that he was running with an out of adjustment and stuck open exhaust valve for a long time. I do not remember it stuttering or backfiring, it just had a severe lack of power. I had a Tacoma that would stutter at low RPMs and it turned out to be the ignition wires.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Wid

Well, I haven't had the time to get any work done to the thing, but I am going to do an oil change, plugs, plug wires, cap&rotor, and fuel filter. Hopefully the problem goes away with all that. I know a couple things wont matter, but they are needed. Also a new air filter. Current one is a little burnt up from the back firing. :| Oh, and the clutch fluid reservoir, that goes through the firewall, is leaking Dot3 break fluid all over my floor mats... Anybody know how to fix that problem? I was thinking of just putting gasket maker goop on there and tightening it back down, so I don't risk drying out the clutch ever again. Think that'll work?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 AM

If your leaking brake fluid into the cab then its time to replace the clutch master cylinder, just putting goo on it will not stop the problem, sounds like you have a few projects to tackle but once you are done you'll have an awesome truck! You might even get like many of us on here who own more than 1. Good luck, ask questions, everyone here has been in your shoes at least once. We are here to help, some would even lend a hand if they were closer.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:16 AM

My father Has a 22-RE in a 1992 PU and had the same problem after months of adj valves and timing he just took the head off of a 310,000 mile engine and has not had any problems since. it has been a year and a half now. On a note He also changed the mas air flow box off of the donor truck.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Goop will not fix the clutch cylinder. Even if you get it to not leak, it will eventually get bad enough that the clutch will not disengage. Clutch master cylinders are fairly cheap. I would recommend a factory AISIN one. You can find them on eBay for a good price and I think Marlin Crawler also sells them. I have installed a few master cylinders and I have noticed a big difference in the pedal throw and feel with the AISIN cylinders compared to the some of the cheap ones.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Wid

I actually just bought a replacement head for $25! So, I'm going to put that on in addition to of those tasks. And thanks for the advice about the master cylinder. I'll get right on buying a new one. But for now, top it off and drive the beast. Haha.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:40 AM

22re killing me

Originally Posted by Rusted Rooster
Hi, wid, try new plug wires.. fuel filter is an easy chance.. top of fuel tank, look under rear passeger side wheel well. post updates on how your doing, its how we all learn.
HI everybody I have a similar problem I have a 1989 22re 4×4 5 speed truck .I bought it and first had the engine rebuilt,I thought I would be on easy Street when I got it back boy was I wrong bad wrong I dropped it in first thang I need was a wiring harness (engine) got it installed it ,it would run but not right so I did the norm,replaced plugs wires fuel filter,fuel pump, Air breather mass air flow ,knock sensor, throttle position sensor, alternator,and a few other thing ,of course I would test it after installing parts the truck starts great but soon as I put in first or reverse and let out on the clutch it just bogsdown back fires will barely get moving oh I also puts a new distributor and timed it about a million times I got it at 5 degrees right now ,funny thing is when I do get to move it has like a sweet spot on the pedal ,it's when I just let off of it will stop studdering and back firing and take off on it's own till it's time to shift to 2nd and it goes back to messing up again ,it acting like maybe the throttle position sensor ain't right or I didn't install it right or it's just a big pile of junk !!! Very flustered with this thing it's been awhile work on this thing about to drive it off in the creek and let it sink ,can anybody help me please