Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

92 Pickup differential and rear axle housing questions

Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 Pickup differential and rear axle housing questions

On my 1992 Pickup - 4x4, 6 cyl, Extra Cab the rear pumpkin ball (axle housing) has rusted/rotted through and is leaking badly. To correct it, I figured I would just get a used rear axle assembly and swap out the whole rear end, but I've come to realize that finding one with the same ratio as mine (4.30 - axle code G284) is harder than finding hen's teeth. Although I am very capable mechanically (I just replaced the front CV shafts, which got interesting!), I've never worked on or replaced a rear end on anything, so I don't know much about it. Since I only need the housing, I am hoping that I can get any axle assembly that works with my model regardless of ratio and simply bolt the differential/carrier from mine into the new (used) one. Is this possible and if so, is it as easy as it sounds?

I'm hoping someone can answer the following -

Are the axle housings same for 4Runner as for Pickup?

Are the housings different for ABS and non-ABS? In the service manual pics, it looks like the ABS stuff bolts up to the diff/carrier, not the axle housing.

Are the rear axle housings identical between 2wd and 4wd?

Are the rear axle housings different for different ratios?

If it is possible for me to simply put my old differential and axles into another housing, what year and models have a rear axle housing and brake assembly that will work for me? Note that my brake backing plates are pretty rusted so I would like to use the ones from the rear end I purchase rather that use my old ones.

I has come to my attention recently that new OEM Toyota parts are obscenely expensive - to the point where I would never even consider buying them, so replacing with new parts is not an option.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM

Axle code is G284

BTW - my axle code is G284 which means I have the 4.30 ratio.

Ken
Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not just patch the hole?

How bad of a leak are we talking about here. I live in Canada where the salt is layed down as thick as anywhere and I've never seen a rear dif housing rusted through to the point of leaking. If it's not structural just have someone plug the pin holes with mig welder and keep on motoring!!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Google "ErikB Toyota differential"

Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by podski
On my 1992 Pickup - 4x4, 6 cyl, Extra Cab the rear pumpkin ball (axle housing) has rusted/rotted through and is leaking badly. To correct it, I figured I would just get a used rear axle assembly and swap out the whole rear end, but I've come to realize that finding one with the same ratio as mine (4.30 - axle code G284) is harder than finding hen's teeth. Although I am very capable mechanically (I just replaced the front CV shafts, which got interesting!), I've never worked on or replaced a rear end on anything, so I don't know much about it. Since I only need the housing, I am hoping that I can get any axle assembly that works with my model regardless of ratio and simply bolt the differential/carrier from mine into the new (used) one. Is this possible and if so, is it as easy as it sounds?

I'm hoping someone can answer the following -

Are the axle housings same for 4Runner as for Pickup? No, 4Runner is coil sprung

Are the housings different for ABS and non-ABS? In the service manual pics, it looks like the ABS stuff bolts up to the diff/carrier, not the axle housing. Depends on whether its 2 wheel or 4 wheel ABS. 2 Wheel ABS and non-ABS housings are the same

Are the rear axle housings identical between 2wd and 4wd? No, 4wd is spring over, 2wd spring under and smaller

Are the rear axle housings different for different ratios? No, 4WD has same housing regardless of ratio

If it is possible for me to simply put my old differential and axles into another housing, what year and models have a rear axle housing and brake assembly that will work for me? Note that my brake backing plates are pretty rusted so I would like to use the ones from the rear end I purchase rather that use my old ones. 89-95 EXTRA CAB ONLY

I has come to my attention recently that new OEM Toyota parts are obscenely expensive - to the point where I would never even consider buying them, so replacing with new parts is not an option.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
Answers above in RED.

Pretty sure most of this has been covered before, but if not, there ya go.

Might spend some time searching next time as well
Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 84foyota
How bad of a leak are we talking about here. I live in Canada where the salt is layed down as thick as anywhere and I've never seen a rear dif housing rusted through to the point of leaking. If it's not structural just have someone plug the pin holes with mig welder and keep on motoring!!
The truck is not here with me right now. I dropped it off at my brother's to have body work and painting done. I had noticed the oil spots where it had been parked in my driveway, so when I dropped it off I took a quick look expecting it to be a seal. When I saw the oil coming right out of the house I thought uh-oh. It is really bad flaking rust and I could pull chunks off easily with my finger. I didn't look at it much closer, but I got the feeling that I may well have been able to push my finger right through. It was bad enough that I didn't even consider trying to repair it. This is definitely not a pin hole problem. I just kinda figured I could just replace with a rear end from a junkyard. I'm finding it's not quite that simple though.

Ken
Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Answers above in RED.

Pretty sure most of this has been covered before, but if not, there ya go.

Might spend some time searching next time as well
Thanks a ton for the info - it is very helpful and exaclty what I was looking for.

BTW - I did spend about 45 minutes searching here for the info but most of what I found was scattered tidbits mostly dealing with 4Runner, which as you point out is not compatable with my pickup. I did find one post that suggested that carriers can be swapped, but it didn't tell me what housings would work for my year/model.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Google "ErikB Toyota differential"

Great info.

Thanks,
Ken