86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 22re 5 speed clutch/transimission problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 22re 5 speed clutch/transmission problems

Truck is a 1991 ex cab 4X4 22RE 5 speed. I just got this truck a week or so ago and have been researching here to try and narrow down my problem….I bought this cheap, knowing that it had some transmission issues. The PO says he thinks it needs a new pressure plate. I agree somewhat, but I’d like to get some expert feedback here so I have a handle on how to solve my issue. i've gotten some clues from reading here, but I wanted to spell out all my issues and see what you guys think.

With engine off, I can shift through the gears fine. Engine will not start with clutch to the floor. I have to use the clutch override button to start the truck. If not holding the brake, the truck will move immediately, just like if the clutch was not all the way in.

If started in neutral, it will not go into reverse while running, it grinds if you try. It usually will not go into 1st unless forced. It sometimes will go into 2nd easier and I can slip it to start off in 2nd. I usually have to start it in gear if I want it to move.

Once under way, shifting is very hard from 1st to 2nd, then easier from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th, but not smooth. I have tried shifting in the upper gears without the clutch depressed and it seems about the same. If I double clutch it seems to shift a little easier.
Clutch does not seem to slip, which seems odd. My last truck if you hammered on the gas, you could feel it slipping telling me the clutch was wore.

Downshifting is about the same…if I go down through the gears, it’s notchy, but I can usually get through them. If I throw it in neutral and coast, I cannot usually get it back into gear. I then have to shut it off, put in first and restart with the clutch override button.

Clutch lever is spongy, feels like it has too much freeplay, so I plan to adjust that.

Clutch lever bracket seems ok, but i haven;t gotten a good look while someone depresses it yet, so I plan to double check that.

PO just installed new master clutch cylinder and slave cylinder and bled the lines. It is possible that there is still air in the system….not sure, just a hunch.

So, given the above info, any expert advice? I am ok buying a clutch kit and flywheel and replacing, then bleeding the system again, but if you think its more that that, I would look for a used tranny. There is one nearby that was gone through 10,000 miles ago…(truck was rolled)

Any advice is much appreciated. This is a super cool little truck, but it currently is a bugger to drive around town…once up to speed on the highway it purrs along nicely.
Thanks!

Last edited by Bandaman; 02-01-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 AM

I would think if you replace the clutch and resurface or get a new flywheel you'll be good to go. Maybe throw some Redline MT-90 in the transmission while you're at it.

I bought a OEM Aisin kit when I replaced the clutch in my 90 back in August.

Good Luck.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 PM

it sounds exactly what my 88 did this summer check your tranny bolts mine backed off and the tranny separated from the motor i could stick my finger in between the gap. but if its been driven a long time like that it needs a new clutch it puts a lot of stress on it being like that. mine lasted a day after i tight-end the bolts.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 AM

when you say clutch is spongey iwould look into bleeding the clutch master and slave cylinder.you say they were replaced but ive personally had bad clutch master cylinder.if you cant bleed out the sponginess id say you probably have defective master cylinder or slave cylinder.good luck.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 PM

I've been swamped, but I finally got some time to work on the truck today...discovered that the clutch pedal mounting bracket under the dash is cracked....allowing everything to flex so much that it was like only pushing the clutch in about half way.

Anyone know where to find the bracket? Is it available from Toyota? Got a part number? I'd like to get a new one and then gusset it, but if not available, I'll have to repair this one.

Temporarily, I have used some SS safety wire to keep the bracket from flexing...damn truck shifts perfect!!! So easy fix so far, but looks like a pain to get this bracket out.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you've got a dealer nearby, check availability and price tomorrow morning; Meanwhile check the price at 1sttoyotaparts.com or your choice of online dealer. If the actual dealer isn't a ripoff, get it from them. Otherwise, order it from web dealer. Either way, you need to replace the bracket. THEN check the bolts, the master/slave/fluid, and the other stuff.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:42 AM

I had this exact same problem on my '90 extra cab. Yes, this bracket is a pain to replace. It's available from the dealer, I don't remember how much it was. You do want to get it from the dealer because they have an updated part for this. They changed the bracket and made it much stronger so that this won't happen again.

I wish I could remember more about the replacement, but it has been around 3 years ago since I did it. I will go outside later and take a look, see if I can remember anything. I will try and make a short write-up about it. I remember it took quite a while, and was a total pain in the a$$, but it can be done. There might be a write up about it already. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Here is a really good thread for this issue, and there are others that I haven't looked at yet. Just search for 'clutch pedal bracket'.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...fatigue-32667/
Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks a bunch! I did read that thread and a bunch of others last night....sounds pretty straight forward, but also a PIA since I'm a pretty big guy...

Local dealer wants $180 or so for the part....online they are from $135 to $188.....looks like 1sttoyotaparts.com is the cheapest unless someone else knows of another place.

I told the local dealer I could get it online for $135...they then even told me their cost at $130....so rather than make $5, they turned down making a deal....I would have paid like $145-$150 just to get it locally, but not $50 more then online.....I don't understand...I'd rather make a bunch of sales at low profit, than lose the sale totally. All they are going to do is grab it from the UPS man, then I pick it up, they make a few bucks for 5 minutes of work..

Ok, I'm climbing off my soapbox now. LOL

I did go to the U-pull-it scrap yard at lunch....the only Toyota like mine has been scrapped! durn it....they did have a 4runner with the bracket, but I decided I would rather have a new one....hopefully its stronger and plus I don't want to pull the part out of two trucks...ugh.

Last edited by Bandaman; 03-22-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM

I ordered part # 55106-35050 from 1sttoyotaparts.com

With shipping it was $149 or so.....For what little cash I got in this truck so far, it seems like a smart move to spend a little more on this new bracket rather than weld up the old one and hope it doesn't break again... I hate doing things twice, especially if its a PIA once.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 PM

Cool, you won't regret it. As soon as you get that job finished and get back from a successful test drive, take a deep breath and be glad you won't have to do that again, at least not on that truck.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the help!

I just got an email confirming that my part has shipped, but it says it is part # 55106-89128 ????

Did Toyota change the part number, or are they sending me the wrong part? It is quite a but cheaper at $107...so I am concerned that it is not the correct part. Anybody work at a dealer who can check for me, please?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM

I dug out my old receipt from when I bought this part. The 89128 is the correct part number. And I paid $139.82 + tax! That was in Las Vegas though, I guess everything is more expensive there.

Have fun putting it in!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 AM

Actually, in digging deeper, they had given me the #35050 bracket, and it wasn't correct. I had to take that back because I have a return ticket on that exact part number, and the 89128 is what they gave me that actually fit.

That receipt was dated 12/19/06, so no wonder I don't remember much about it!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM

thanks again! I contacted the vender and they verified that Toyota Changed the part number....I added my VIN to the order and 1sttoyotaparts.com says this is the correct part for my VIN...Good for them for knowing what's going on. I'm glad that I will be getting the improved bracket, especially since it is like $28 cheaper than the part I originally ordered.

Anyone wanna come put it in...I'll hand you beers....lol I'm sure it will be a fun challenge
Old 03-25-2010, 02:37 PM

If you can't find anybody to put it in for you, don't hand yourself too many beers while you're installing! Wait until after it's finished!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:03 PM

i have to do the same thing to my brother's 4 runner! where are you located? pay my gas, and i'll come fix it...
Old 07-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Guess I'm feeling lucky...

Here it is 2017, and the bracket on my 92 4x4 22re just gave out. I bought this thing used from a little buy, fix, and burn auto dealer in 2004. I've got some huge size 13 feet, and weighed in at 325 lbs at one point. I'm about 100 lbs less now, and sheesh, it finally gives way? It appears to be the original bracket too.

Anyway, with all of these threads about the issue, you'd think that there'd be a recall by now. I suppose if it hasn't killed the prerequisite number of people, it's only worthy of a couple of TSBs.

I can only find it called out as the Support for the Brake Pedal if anyone is still looking to buy new. MSRP is currently $212, but it looks like $155 on up for online. Not looking forward to the job, but can't wait to get my baby back on the road!

Thanks for another great thread on a hidden common problem!

Gotta LOVE YotaTech!

Last edited by ZeusKitty; 07-07-2017 at 05:29 PM.