Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just finished installing TRD headers on my 3.4 4runner...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished installing TRD headers on my 3.4 4runner...

Well i just had the 8hr chore of installing headers on my 98 v6 4runner, and i am glad that the ordeal is finally over.

I have advanced mechanical skills, i have been working on cars for the past ~10years. I wont say this was the worst/hardest thing that i have done, but it comes DAMN close falling in the top 5 somewhere. I read all the threads on this forum and many other forums saying that its a BIG chore to do, i thought "it cant be that bad." Well it was, too many things to list were a pain in the ass. If i hadn't done it at my friends shop, i would still be going at it right now.

So now my 4runner has the k/n intake setup, and the TRD headers with straight pipe to the stock muffler. I took out the cat with the header install. I actually was going to go with the OBX headers (they are EXACT copies of the TRD's), but because i got a brand new set of TRD's for 450 i couldn't pass up on that deal. The headers are for 99+ trucks, but they fit fine on my 98 4runner (auto and 4x4) we did have to do some mods here and there but nothing drastic.

The power results, well the results right now are ok. I wont lie i was kind of let down. I thought it would make a decent noticeable difference, and the power difference is noticeable but below my expectations. The throttle response is GREAT now. The sound of the intake sounds GREAT also. Those are two things that made big differences. They pretty much make up for the power i didn't make. I dont want to down play the headers like they didn't make much power, they did make noticeable power. But i guess coming from a Honda/Acura back round i was expecting slightly more power out of a header.

Next up that i am going to do is maybe run straight pipe all the way back, has anyone ran a 4runner with straight pipe all the way back? I am wondering on how loud it will be?

I was also thinking about removing the muffler and just putting in a resonator, or WORSE case scenario some type of straight through muffler.

I need to pull out the stock muffler. I know that its KILLING the flow of the motor. I know once i pull it off the headers and intake will shine more and the truck with run a lot stronger.

Also, anyone have a link or instructions on a pre 98 to 99+ MAF wiring instructions? I had a link but i lost it....
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
as its been said before headers on a none supercharged motor dont do much as for the straight pipe that prob just make it worse need some back pressure
Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
link to maf mod which i did and has been working just fine

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...=3915.msg36654
Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Elton
as its been said before headers on a none supercharged motor dont do much as for the straight pipe that prob just make it worse need some back pressure
yeah i didnt think about back pressure. since the truck is usually in the mid-range and low-range i think if i do remove the muffler it would loose a ton of bottom end torque and mid range power...i guess il keep it on for now, i might opt for some kind of straight through muffler eventually...

Originally Posted by Elton
link to maf mod which i did and has been working just fine

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...=3915.msg36654
Thanks for the link, that's the thread i was looking for...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM

Congrats on the install! I still wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats thinking about how much of a PITA it was. Gotta love that rumble though.

Get a S/C. Like Elton said, that's the only way you're gonna reap the real benefits of those headers.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Yeah eventually i am going to get a sc, how is the gas mileage on your truck with it on?

Thats the only thing that's holding me back right now, i dont want to get bad gas mileage after i put it on. I drive it quite a bit that's why i opted for the headers then the supercharger....
Old 07-15-2009, 01:00 PM

Hey Nerologic. If you happen to get any mileage numbers with your headers you should post them up.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nerologic
Yeah eventually i am going to get a sc, how is the gas mileage on your truck with it on?

Thats the only thing that's holding me back right now, i dont want to get bad gas mileage after i put it on. I drive it quite a bit that's why i opted for the headers then the supercharger....

16-17, not bad, would probably be better if I was a little easier on the gas. Most of my driving is stop and go though.

Last edited by okie81; 07-15-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

An SC won't effect mileage too much if you stay off the boost and accelerate reasonably since I'm sure there is a throttle bypass sensor which the SC won't make boost below a certain rpm or throttle position.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
An SC won't effect mileage too much if you stay off the boost and accelerate reasonably
That's somewhat true, before the fuel mods I could get up to 19 mpg on the highway; that was just with the s/c, headers, exhaust and no programming. It came at a price though= ping!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NEro... are you done with Hondas?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:35 PM

Hahaha I will never be done with Honda's. My CRX is still in the garage (unfinished) and i am going to get a 8th gen civic SI to daily around the end of this year. Daily driving the 4runner is killing me with its mileage since i am used to Honda's LOL

But nice runner, sucks that you tipped it though....

As far as mileage i am getting better gas mileage now that the headers are on. The past few days i was getting on it all the time just to feel the new power. And today i drove normal. I think i am getting at least 1-2 more miles per gallon. I don't have to floor it as much, and i notice the trans not down shifting much. One thing i did notice was even-though i was flooring it a lot the first 2 days it wasn't sucking as much gas down as it would before the headers. I will try to get an accurate count of my mileage this next weekend.

Regarding the blower i am already looking for a charger, i already read searched all over the place and pretty much got the impression that you end up with near the same gas mileage. Some people have noticed slightly more, some slightly less. So since its near the same mileage i am going to slap one on w/o any fuel upgrades since gas mileage is a concern for me.

One thing that i haven't found much info is on the differences between the 1st gen and 2nd gen charger. Is the 2nd gen charger a little better or A LOT better then the silver 1st gen?

I have seen 1st gens for cheap, but second gens for only a few more hundred. I am just trying to see if the second gen is worth the few extra hundred...

Last edited by Nerologic; 07-15-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nice well we both have a CRX and a 4runner..

the tip over has been fixed, and now I have a sunroof so its fine..

I'll hit you up when we go wheelin
Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 PM

One thing that i haven't found much info is on the differences between the 1st gen and 2nd gen charger. Is the 2nd gen charger a little better or A LOT better then the silver 1st gen?
Overall, they're both very dependable, powerful and for the most part trouble-free.

That being said, it seems to me though that supercharger issues on this forum often involve the 1st gen's.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Outsane
nice well we both have a CRX and a 4runner..

the tip over has been fixed, and now I have a sunroof so its fine..

I'll hit you up when we go wheelin
Yeah i recall u did have a CRX also, mines like 90% done just don't have the cash right now to finish it register it and tune it. Soon though hopefully haha

But ya im down to go wheelin, i just don't get to crazy on the rocks im to paranoid to mess up the truck haha

Originally Posted by okie81
Overall, they're both very dependable, powerful and for the most part trouble-free.

That being said, it seems to me though that supercharger issues on this forum often involve the 1st gen's.
Hmm.

But they pretty much both make the same power?

I am going to look more into this. Hopefully by the end of the year i can find one at a reasonable price. I will prolly install it as soon as i get it, i know it cant be worse then the headers LOL
Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 AM

how does no cats with stock muffler sound??

i've been wanting to do this, i just want my truck to be slightly louder, not as loud as a strait through muffler
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by atistang
how does no cats with stock muffler sound??

i've been wanting to do this, i just want my truck to be slightly louder, not as loud as a strait through muffler
Sounds a bit beefier. Not much louder, i wish it was a bit louder/stronger.

Its worth to do because it will free up some power, a thief wont steel the cat (this happens a lot from where i live) and it gives you a better sound.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:25 AM

Sounds a bit beefier. Not much louder, i wish it was a bit louder/stronger.

Its worth to do because it will free up some power, a thief wont steel the cat (this happens a lot from where i live) and it gives you a better sound.
did you find someone that makes a test pipe or did you just cut the flanges off?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by atistang
did you find someone that makes a test pipe or did you just cut the flanges off?
They had to weld it. Since the header was going it the old cat needed to be welded to the flange given in the TRD kit.

I will snap some pictures to explain....
Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so now that you have no cats did you use the URD kit to simulate the O2sensors or does your vehicle have one O2 sensor before the cat?