Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit True Trac

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit True Trac

I am starting to gather parts for my sas and right now my main concern is the front differential. Right now I am running an aussie in the front and a true trac in the rear and it seems pretty stupid to me to do a sas and leave the front open. I will end up having a less capable rig than a started with. Also, I am on a fairly tight budget, so the stock birfields will have to do for now. That being said here are my questions.

1. Can a take my true trac out of the rear and put it in the front? I know it will bolt in, but I thought that I read somewhere that true tracs are directional and can't be swapped from the rear to ther front very well. I have been thinking of doing this and putting an aussie in the rear.

2. If the true trac does work in the front, will the it be to much for the stock birfields? My true trac seems pretty tame, but I don't have any experience with birfields either.

3. Would I just be better off trying to sell my true trac and buying an aussie and an open carrier and hoping that the stock birfields last until I can afford to buy longfields or something similar.

Any input would be appreciated. I haven't been able to find any solid information on whether true tracs are directional or not.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:04 PM

I am running a welded rear and a tru trac in the front and it works good. You should be able to put the locker from the rear to the front. Tru trac is a limited slip locker, so you wont break any axels in the front. And from past experiance, its hard as hell to sell a tru trac, so i just kept mine and have never had a problem out of it.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned 'cause I was 4runnerchevy also banned

Yes you can take the TT out of the rear and put it in the front. I had one for years but it was toooo tame. The birfs will be fine.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Alright thanks, I guess I will put the true trac in the front and put and an aussie locker in the rear. How does the welded rear handle on the pavement? I have heard some people say they like it better than a locker because it is more predictable and I have heard some people say they hate it.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:44 PM

I like it better then the locker for that exact reason. I run the spool in the rear and welded front I won't go back.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:02 PM

86toylet, how is the welded front as far as turning, ive heard you cant turn when lockup in front and rear. Just wondering how you like it?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:08 PM

It is tougher, but I have a little assistance with the Hydro-Assist and twin sticks. Its just a different kind of driving.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 PM

would you have a welded rear in a daily driver? Is it better, worse or the same as a locker in the snow/ice/rain?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 88toypickup
would you have a welded rear in a daily driver? Is it better, worse or the same as a locker in the snow/ice/rain?
I would but thats me. If your in the snow, use a locker, and don't lock the front unless its selectable. I used to live in Tahoe, and I had the Detroit locker in the rear and TT in the front. It takes getting used to, and kinda scary on ice, but once you get experience its pretty nice.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:43 PM

that's what I will probably end up doing. I will probably end up with the true trac in front and an aussie in the rear. Maybe I will try a welded rear for a while before I buy an aussie, I have a couple of extra open carriers.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 PM

how do the tires ware with the rear welded or with a spool mine is a daily driver but i like to be prepared when i go offroad as i do this offten. But still need it for work and such 32x1150x15 bfg a/ts and 4.88s and 3 in lift
Old 04-06-2009, 05:47 PM

Tires get worn pretty good, just buy some new ones. Pay to play.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:53 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I HATE, I know that's a strong word, but it's still not sufficient, I mean HAAAAATE the trutrac in Molly's rig.

The trails you need a SFA for, you need a real locker. The first time you have a wheel in the air and are trying to do the brake-locker thing and getting frustrated because you know you would walk it if you could just get power to the proper side you'll know what I mean.

If the choices were trutrac front/aussie rear or aussie front/welded rear, I'd be welding that rear carrier in a heartbeat (and be saving up for a Detroit or ARB), tire wear be damned

Last edited by tc; 04-06-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 86toylet
Tires get worn pretty good, just buy some new ones. Pay to play.
Damn right. Seems lost on most people these days.

Originally Posted by tc
I HATE, I know that's a strong word, but it's still not sufficient, I mean HAAAAATE the trutrac in Molly's rig.

The trails you need a SFA for, you need a real locker. The first time you have a wheel in the air and are trying to do the brake-locker thing and getting frustrated because you know you would walk it if you could just get power to the proper side you'll know what I mean.

If the choices were trutrac front/aussie rear or aussie front/welded rear, I'd be welding that rear carrier in a heartbeat (and be saving up for a Detroit or ARB), tire wear be damned
x2 billion.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree about the TT as well... I'm actually using Ike's old one (I think?) in the rear of my rig and I have had one in the front for a while. For medium stuff they are pretty cool and the brake-lock thing usually works. But the more I have used it the more that I feel that a solid half-shaft lock-up is the only way to go for anything challenging.