Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

97 Toyota 4Runner Battery light/DRL issue

Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Toyota 4Runner Battery light/DRL issue

Hey guys, I am new to the forum, and coming to you from Nova Scotia, Canada. . . seems that you guys have a decent amount of traffic, and I am hoping that someone here is knowledgable enough to give me a hand with an wiring issue. . . .My brother has a 1997 4Runner limited with the 3400V6. He had just recently purchased the truck from the original owner, it has 312,000kms on the clock, and is in remarkable shape, it has been dealer maintained its whole life. . . .When he had purchased the truck, the battery light was on solid in the dash, and did not go out, or dim at higher or lower RPMs. The previous owner had it check at the dealer before selling it, and the dealer had told him that the altenator was on its way out, but would be fine.I have worked in the automotive industry for several years now, and work at a speed shop and deal mainly in electric and wiring. I had purchased a reman altenator directly from Toyota, and doubtfully swapped it into the truck, and the battery light did not go out, as I had suspected it would not. At this point and time I had noticed that the DRLs in the truck were not working as well. Luckily enough for me, I have a friend who has a 1998 SR5, and had swapped parts and pieces from truck to truck. DRL module, relay, resistor, altenator, battery, etc. etc. and the battery light and DRLs still do not work in my brothers Limited, but with each part I switch, the donor truck always functions flawlessly. The only reason I figured there was a coralation between the DRL and the charge light is that the battery light in the dash is triggered through a single wire (black with a yellow tracer) that goes from the back side of the altenator, to the instrument cluster. This wire also runs to the DRL module. . . I had checked through the wiring briefly, and had decided that I needed to do some more researching before I dug any deeper into the truck, and here I am now. lolThe truck charges just fine. . . and the battery has never gone dead in the truck. The battery is also brand new from Toyota (previous owner had it replaced a month before selling it). My brother had called me just the other night to inform me that he had gone out to the truck, started it, and the DRL's came on, and the battery light was out. . . then later that evening, the running lights did not come on again, and the battery light stayed on. For a month straight the truck had a battery light, and no DRL's, and for the last week, its been hit or miss with each time the truck starts as to whether the DRL's come on, and the battery light goes on. . . . I had asked a mechanic I know at Toyota if he was familiar at all with this problem, and he had told me that there is an issue with a wire that chafs, or breaks in a connector but he has never had to deal with the issue first hand, so he does not know where to go to find this broken wire. . . .So. . . . sorry about the novel, but I am soon ready to pull my hair out trying to sort out this issue with this truck. I am REALLY hoping that someone here can give me a hand and help me out and somehow point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot guys.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue on my 1994

Did anyone ever solve this issue ?