Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Power steering fluid and ATF dexron 2 different?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems to just be the pump in my case(s)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I got my 92 4runner it had power steering fluid in the power steering pump and it leaked out in about 2 hours. ALL of the fluid leaked out in a couple hours!

So I replaced it and put power steering fluid in it and it still leaked, so I replaced the fluid with ATF (after I found out it took that and not PSF).
I replaced a seal or two and it doesn't leak anymore
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 AM

mixing power steering fluid and atf?

this info has been useful to me as well, thanks! I was just wondering if my toyota already has power steering fluid in it, can I top it off with atf dexron 2?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Sorry, abe. Not going to let you disect this one. See post #27.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-25-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: To avoid a totally senseless argument
Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PS ... many off the shelf "PS" fluids are re-labeled brake fluid. These are miscible with ATF in the sense that alcohol mixes with oil, like fuel system "drier" liquids are isopropyl or some other alcohol: they mix with water and oil. They are hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water. It does not promote seal flexibility and doesn't lubricate constant volume pumps the same way petroleum can.

As for DexIII and such, Dexron III is no longer produced and hasn't been for years. Newer Dexron standards are compatible with older ones in as much the same way new synth motor oil is compatible with the old dino oils. It may work well if the seals are in good condition but you're going to leak if the seals are bad and don't put modern automotive 15w30 in an early 90's motorcycle.

Off the shelf "Dex/Merc" is pretty much the only solution for anyone needing Dexron III.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-24-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:16 AM

ATF major components according to MSDS Solvent Refined, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic Distillate , Power Steering Fluid major components DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM) SOLVENT-REFINED HEAVY PARAFFINIC; BASEOIL

Last edited by Pat8942; 08-25-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like they're basically the same thing then. Which I've always suspected(or rather known). The only significant differences would be the lack of red dye and friction modifiers in PSF vs. ATF. What would lead me to believe that? Simple. Because I'm old enough to remember when many outlets used to sell a universal product labeled "Automatic Transmission And Power Steering Fluid" right on the front of the bottle. The stuff I used to buy back in the early 90's labeled as such came in a clear bottle available at NAPA(and just about everywhere else that sold automotive fluids) containing a red colored fluid which would be indistinguishable from many modern day Dexron III equivalent ATFs(Dex/Merc, Dexron III/Mercon, Mercon Dexron III, Dex III/M, ATF D/M III, ATF M/D III, D/M-3, DM-3, MD-3, ATF D/M, D/M ATF, DM ATF, etc., etc., etc.) IIRC, it was actually equivalent to Dexron III and back compatible with Dexron II and Dexron. And I used it on many occasions to fill the power steering systems and the automatic transmissions in my vehicles. There didn't even used to be a such thing as "Power Steering Fluid", it was all ATF(and PSF, or to be used as either).

So there! Stick that in your pipes and smoke it young'ns!

And NO. Power steering fluid IS NOT relabeled brake fluid. They aren't EVEN CLOSE to the same thing. And therefore their miscibility is IRRELEVANT(NEVER mix brake fluid with ATF or PSF). That was THE dumbest thing I've heard come out of a certain someone's mouth(sorry dude, that was retarded, you should edit that post out of existence, I would). There's essentially 3 types of power steering fluid available. The type that meets GM, Chrysler, and Ford specs. Or the type that meets Honda specs. With the third type being those that don't state on the label that they meet any OEM specs, and are considered to be universal, as they will mix with any OEM type power steering fluid. But they really shouldn't be used for anything but topping off PS systems, where the desire would be to use strictly OEM PSF.

And, just because the stuff sold nowadays isn't licensed or regulated by GM as "official" Dexron III ATF, doesn't mean it's not equivalent to it. BTW, there's no other Dexron-type ATFs being sold aside from Dexron VI(and there's never been a Dexron IV or Dexron V). So your choice for a Dexron-type ATF is limited to III(equivalent) or VI. That's it, PERIOD. And YES, VI is back compatible with III, II, or original Dexron.

And YES, you can use PSF in your Toyota power steering system. Because the lack of red dye and friction modifiers means NOTHING to the power steering components. I've done it, and it didn't matter. I've mixed PSF and ATF and it didn't matter. Straight PSF actually made it operate quieter. Some people use motor oil without issues. Anecdotal evidence claiming that PSF causes leaks actually proves NOTHING. Those leaks were most likely pre-existing, bound to occur or worsen with the use of ATF or PSF, and/or unlikely to have been remedied by a continued use of ATF only. PS system seals will fail eventually REGARDLESS. And there's really nothing that's SIGNIFICANTLY different about a Toyota PS system that "requires" ATF vs. other OEM's PS systems(who recommend using PSF). That's what Toyota recommends because that's all there used to be, and the red dye and friction modifiers do no harm to the system. They, like many other engineers, also know not to change a succesful routine(or mode of operation) once it's established. Will they ever change their recommendation to use ATF in their PS systems(assuming they still do)? I doubt it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-25-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pat8942
ATF major components according to MSDS Solvent Refined, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic Distillate , Power Steering Fluid major components DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM) SOLVENT-REFINED HEAVY PARAFFINIC; BASEOIL
That's like saying gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, butane, propane, naptha and paraffin are the same since they're all "distillates" of petroleum.

The MSDS should state the proportions of said chemicals. Please post that also.
Otherwise, you're on the hook for saying ATF and power steering fluid are identical, which we know they are not. And anyone quoting you or offering you "props" is a lemming.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-25-2012 at 10:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (02-17-2019)
Old 08-25-2012, 09:57 PM

Well, I suppose I stand corrected. It's not the first time I've made a mistake and won't be the last time. But at least I don't gloat over proving someone wrong like some "certain mouth's" tend to do. And I will never bury anything I say by deleting posts: that is disingenuous at best and outright lying. I'm not ashamed of comments I make- right, wrong or otherwise... so why hide it? I'm not like you and won't lower myself like you will:
Originally Posted by MudHippy
...(sorry dude, that was retarded, you should edit that post out of existence, I would).
That disclaimer should satisfy you as well as everyone that knows better.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-26-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:38 AM

Buick Enclave

Is it OK to use Prestone power stearing fluid on a Buick Enclave?
Old 06-03-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by lucyluu3
Is it OK to use Prestone power stearing fluid on a Buick Enclave?
You Buick owners manual should have a "Recommended Fluids and Lubricants" section. That will tell you what fluid to use in their power steering system.

Prestone advertises that their fluid is good for all American vehicles, including GM, so unless you see something contradictory in the owners manual, you should be ok.

Last edited by rustypigeon; 06-03-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:18 PM

thank u

Originally Posted by MudHippy

Sounds like they're basically the same thing then. Which I've always suspected(or rather known). The only significant differences would be the lack of red dye and friction modifiers in PSF vs. ATF. What would lead me to believe that? Simple. Because I'm old enough to remember when many outlets used to sell a universal product labeled "Automatic Transmission And Power Steering Fluid" right on the front of the bottle. The stuff I used to buy back in the early 90's labeled as such came in a clear bottle available at NAPA(and just about everywhere else that sold automotive fluids) containing a red colored fluid which would be indistinguishable from many modern day Dexron III equivalent ATFs(Dex/Merc, Dexron III/Mercon, Mercon Dexron III, Dex III/M, ATF D/M III, ATF M/D III, D/M-3, DM-3, MD-3, ATF D/M, D/M ATF, DM ATF, etc., etc., etc.) IIRC, it was actually equivalent to Dexron III and back compatible with Dexron II and Dexron. And I used it on many occasions to fill the power steering systems and the automatic transmissions in my vehicles. There didn't even used to be a such thing as "Power Steering Fluid", it was all ATF(and PSF, or to be used as either).

So there! Stick that in your pipes and smoke it young'ns!

And NO. Power steering fluid IS NOT relabeled brake fluid. They aren't EVEN CLOSE to the same thing. And therefore their miscibility is IRRELEVANT(NEVER mix brake fluid with ATF or PSF). That was THE dumbest thing I've heard come out of a certain someone's mouth(sorry dude, that was retarded, you should edit that post out of existence, I would). There's essentially 3 types of power steering fluid available. The type that meets GM, Chrysler, and Ford specs. Or the type that meets Honda specs. With the third type being those that don't state on the label that they meet any OEM specs, and are considered to be universal, as they will mix with any OEM type power steering fluid. But they really shouldn't be used for anything but topping off PS systems, where the desire would be to use strictly OEM PSF.

And, just because the stuff sold nowadays isn't licensed or regulated by GM as "official" Dexron III ATF, doesn't mean it's not equivalent to it. BTW, there's no other Dexron-type ATFs being sold aside from Dexron VI(and there's never been a Dexron IV or Dexron V). So your choice for a Dexron-type ATF is limited to III(equivalent) or VI. That's it, PERIOD. And YES, VI is back compatible with III, II, or original Dexron.

And YES, you can use PSF in your Toyota power steering system. Because the lack of red dye and friction modifiers means NOTHING to the power steering components. I've done it, and it didn't matter. I've mixed PSF and ATF and it didn't matter. Straight PSF actually made it operate quieter. Some people use motor oil without issues. Anecdotal evidence claiming that PSF causes leaks actually proves NOTHING. Those leaks were most likely pre-existing, bound to occur or worsen with the use of ATF or PSF, and/or unlikely to have been remedied by a continued use of ATF only. PS system seals will fail eventually REGARDLESS. And there's really nothing that's SIGNIFICANTLY different about a Toyota PS system that "requires" ATF vs. other OEM's PS systems(who recommend using PSF). That's what Toyota recommends because that's all there used to be, and the red dye and friction modifiers do no harm to the system. They, like many other engineers, also know not to change a succesful routine(or mode of operation) once it's established. Will they ever change their recommendation to use ATF in their PS systems(assuming they still do)? I doubt it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
thank u very much for clearing that up for me,why can't everyone be like u and just cut through all the b's. I have no idea how old this thread is all I know is I read about a hundred messages till I finally got to yours and u took the words out of my mouth,thanks again now I can get back to wrenching.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:44 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by 1tough4runner
thank u very much for clearing that up for me,why can't everyone be like u and just cut through all the b's. I have no idea how old this thread is all I know is I read about a hundred messages till I finally got to yours and u took the words out of my mouth,thanks again now I can get back to wrenching.
I would still be careful here. Just use what Toyota said to put in your power steering system. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Bottles labeled "Power Steering Fluid" are absolutely not the same as GM licensed Dexron or Dexron II Automatic Transmission fluid (Now long out of date, Dexron VI is the current GM licensed fluid and is backwards compatible with all previous versions of Dexron fluid).

Just because fluids have the same base oils does not make it the same thing. Throughout automotive history, engine oil and automatic transmission fluid used the same or similar base oils, but I don't remember people substituting engine oil, power steering fluid, automatic transmission fluid or gear oil for any system just because it happened to have the same base oils. The additives to the base oil make up a substantial portion of the characteristics of fluids. There is much more to fluid additives than simply friction modifiers. The science of fluid properties is complex.