Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

passenger seat help "cable managment "

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passenger seat help "cable managment "

Was wondering if someone had a diagram or picture of how the cables run under the front passenger seat of a 86 4runner. The seat will tilt forward and back but not slide. I was going to just rig it with some bicycle brake cable but am unsure of how to run it. The driver side was so much easier, just a rigid piece of wire. Any help would be great.
On another note when I was replacing the fuel pump after 3 years of sitting, brake cable from a bicycle worked wonders for roto-rooting those tiny metal tubes with all the bends. It was the only thing we found that would twist and turn and still remain rigid.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 PM

it probealy doesnt have any way to do it, my SR5 cant slide, if you take the whole seat out(4 bolts and some trim), you should be able to figure it out or figure out you dont have it
Old 10-03-2008, 07:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The cable splits into a Y shape, one for the tilt and the other for the slide part. If you reach under the seat and pull on down on the lock part on the slide rail on the console side the seat will release and slide forward.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by shaun
Was wondering if someone had a diagram or picture of how the cables run under the front passenger seat of a 86 4runner. The seat will tilt forward and back but not slide. I was going to just rig it with some bicycle brake cable but am unsure of how to run it. The driver side was so much easier, just a rigid piece of wire. Any help would be great.
On another note when I was replacing the fuel pump after 3 years of sitting, brake cable from a bicycle worked wonders for roto-rooting those tiny metal tubes with all the bends. It was the only thing we found that would twist and turn and still remain rigid.
Take a look here. In the process of a repair of just this problem. http://www.ruralinternetservices.com/postpic
Old 10-04-2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by deserthound
Take a look here. In the process of a repair of just this problem. http://www.ruralinternetservices.com/postpic
are you going to do a write up on this once you are done?
I want to do this, but i dont know how
Old 10-04-2008, 12:46 PM

Nice, thanks. It looks like a old brake cable just wont do what I wanted it too.
I will have to figure something out.
Thanks for the pic!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by shaun
Nice, thanks. It looks like a old brake cable just wont do what I wanted it too.
I will have to figure something out.
Thanks for the pic!
If you still have the plastic cable routing assembly, but just broken wires, go to the hardware store and get steel picture frame wire rope. Get the largest that will fit easily through the plastic. Then get some aluminum crimp ons to put on the ends of the wires. Ace Hardware sells them here. One that Ace sells is a side by side crimp hold. Looking at the end of it it looks like a figure eight. Used to join 2 wires together. For this job, run the wire through one side and loop it back through the other. It'll give it much more support against slipping out of a single crimp. I had to redo mine several times until I found the combination that finally held and worked well. Ie: too small cable broke, crimps slipped loose, etc. But, it's still working fine now months later.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:10 PM

If you still have the plastic cable routing assembly, but just broken wires, go to the hardware store and get steel picture frame wire rope. Get the largest that will fit easily through the plastic. Then get some aluminum crimp ons to put on the ends of the wires. Ace Hardware sells them here. One that Ace sells is a side by side crimp hold. Looking at the end of it it looks like a figure eight. Used to join 2 wires together. For this job, run the wire through one side and loop it back through the other. It'll give it much more support against slipping out of a single crimp. I had to redo mine several times until I found the combination that finally held and worked well. Ie: too small cable broke, crimps slipped loose, etc. But, it's still working fine now months later.
The only thing under the seat was speaker wire from one side to the other. Had to reach under and pull on it to get it to slide.Will basically have to rebuild from scratch. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

i did that on my old '86 when it broke. i bought the cable from the stealer, cant remember the price but it put thing back to working order in less than an hour.

lee
Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Replacement cable runs about $35 counting tax and shipping.

You can order it at: http://1toyotaparts.com/

Part number is: 72210-89105