General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Turbo Diesel Engines?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Diesel Engines?

So does anyone on here know much about Diesel Engines? I have the 22RE now and if possible I would like to swap it to for aTurbo Diesel. Does anyone know if this is possible and where I can get everything I need to do it.
If this is not a good idea I may want to swap in a Chev Turbo Diesel V8 or something. My goal is to use Bio Diesel that my friends father makes for $0.75 per gallon and have around 250-325 Foot Pounds (torque) to pull camping trailers and a boat. What do you all know about possibly converting my 22RE to Turbo Diesel, is it possible? Thanks guys

Last edited by Ryan; 08-24-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you will have to redo the entire drivetrain, but I would go with a Cummins 4BT or 6BT.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
I think you will have to redo the entire drivetrain, but I would go with a Cummins 4BT or 6BT.
Ya, that is a great swap but it looks like a lot of work and really expensive. Does anyone know anything about converting the 22re to diesel?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure about converting to Diesel, but I do know that Diesels are built very different. Much heavier internals, and heads (no spark plugs). You'd have to get rid of the stock intake or totally mod it so the throttle plate no longer exists and the gas pedal would have to control the fuel, which means a new fuel delivery system and injectors. Converting doesn't make sense to me, but it would be cool to see one thats been converted.

Converting to propane is much easier I've heard as you only need to mess with the fuel delivery.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by nv4runner
I'm not sure about converting to Diesel, but I do know that Diesels are built very different. Much heavier internals, and heads (no spark plugs). You'd have to get rid of the stock intake or totally mod it so the throttle plate no longer exists and the gas pedal would have to control the fuel, which means a new fuel delivery system and injectors. Converting doesn't make sense to me, but it would be cool to see one thats been converted.

Converting to propane is much easier I've heard as you only need to mess with the fuel delivery.
Well my Priorities are 1st to gain more power/tourqe, 2nd to use Bio Diesel, 3rd to have the fun of various boost levels with a Turbo. So if I can just double the power of this weak little 22RE then at least I can make it over the passes at more than 45mph with out risking the water temp getting too high. Is this common on all 22RE 4Runners to get so hot. I am afraid one day I will forget to watch the water temp and it over heats.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 AM

The heat problem sounds like your fan isn't working right, your radiator is clogged or the fins are damaged and not allowing air through, your thermostat is not functioning correctly, or any combination of these. I had a subaru wagon that ran hot until i replaced the radiator. Haven't had to do that with my 4runner yet but it is on the list.

I haven't heard of a way to double the power of a gas engine, but you can definitely increase it by doing a high flow/cold air intake, turbo/supercharge it, better flowing exhaust, different cam profiles, stand alone fuel management... so many ways to try to get more power. Most have been done or discussed here. I'm sure someone who's more familiar with the 22re will chime in.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 AM

You can't convert your 22RE to diesel, the metal used in the engine isn't strong enough to be able to withstand the heat required to burn diesel fuel, as it takes almost twice as much heat energy to burn diesel fuel compared to regular gasoline. If I were you, I would try to find a 2wd toyota diesel pickup and swap the engines.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 PM

You have a problem (obviously) with your cooling system on your existing engines.
These do NOT run hot.

Regarding the diesel swap, possible, yes, legal, no...

Fred
Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
Yea, the 6bt weighs roughly 900lbs without accessories. I don't really think thats an option in our puny Toyotas.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan
Ya, that is a great swap but it looks like a lot of work and really expensive. Does anyone know anything about converting the 22re to diesel?

ANY engine swap is going to be expensive and a lot of work. If your not willing to spend a lot of money and time, give up now.

If you want easy and cheap, buy a used 97-98 Ford F350 powerstroke.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by nv4runner
The heat problem sounds like your fan isn't working right, your radiator is clogged or the fins are damaged and not allowing air through, your thermostat is not functioning correctly, or any combination of these. I had a subaru wagon that ran hot until i replaced the radiator. Haven't had to do that with my 4runner yet but it is on the list.

I haven't heard of a way to double the power of a gas engine, but you can definitely increase it by doing a high flow/cold air intake, turbo/supercharge it, better flowing exhaust, different cam profiles, stand alone fuel management... so many ways to try to get more power. Most have been done or discussed here. I'm sure someone who's more familiar with the 22re will chime in.
Of course I checked out the thermostat, Fans, Radiator, and everything else. It all seems to be working just fine. If the fan was the problem, the water temp would get lower as I drive not higher, plus it seems to cool down to a normal temp when I come to a stop for a few minutes. Another thing to consider when trying to figure this out is that it only happens when it is above 100 degrees outside while on an incline on the freeway. I have driven the truck on level ground when it is 115 degrees out with no problems but as soon as I hit some of those 6% inclines over the passes on the way to Flagstaff, the water temp approaches the red line, but only when it is considerably hot out..

Originally Posted by FredTJ
You have a problem (obviously) with your cooling system on your existing engines.
These do NOT run hot.

Fred
What are you talking about being legal. There is nothing illegal about swapping a diesel engine, turbo diesel, or a turbo bio-diesel as long as the vehicle passes proper inspection and emissions. There are no Arizona Revised Statute Laws stating that it is illegal to swap engines in any vehicle, please share with us what your mean exactly. Thanks

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Yea, the 6bt weighs roughly 900lbs without accessories. I don't really think thats an option in our puny Toyotas.
This is true, however the 4TB is a common swap that a lot of companies are putting into older Land Cruisers. This is an expensive swap though and I would like to do a swap around $4500 or less.

Originally Posted by Adam F
ANY engine swap is going to be expensive and a lot of work. If your not willing to spend a lot of money and time, give up now.

If you want easy and cheap, buy a used 97-98 Ford F350 powerstroke.
I am looking for a cheap and easy solution I can do at home, but I am not looking for a Ford LOL. I like the Ford my buddy has because he too has a F250 Turbo Bio-Diesel with tons of upgrades. I would ideally just like a little more power. Maybe I can just do cam and headers for now while I decide what diesel engine to swap. What do you think a good cam upgrade is with out changing the valve train?

Last edited by Ryan; 08-24-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Fred
I believe he's referring to converting a gas to a diesel. If not, then I second the want of an explanation.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:00 AM

$4500 or less would be very difficult even if you were swapping a 3vz-e for a 5vz-fe, which is one of the most common and easy to do swaps.

The engines themselves are cheap compared to all the little parts you have to buy and the fabrication you'd have to pay for (if you weren't doing it yourself).
Old 08-24-2008, 12:01 AM

Oh, and as far as engine swaps. In CA it is only legal to swap an engine in that came from the same model vehicle of the same year or newer. It varies from state to state.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:14 AM

$4500 should be enough, considering that of course I can fab anything. CA has its pros and cons, good times and good weather, but I have never owned a car that would be legal there I guess. I am not a big fan of the 3vz-e but I agree they do have considerable more power. I had another 4runner a few years ago with one but love the reliability of the 22RE. I have a friend that has been trying to talk me into a Chev V8 Turbo Diesel. That should be a really easy swap considering all the after market support for V8s swaps in Toyota and the huge after market support for v8 Chev turbo Diesel parts.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:27 AM

looking looking at a 2lt hilux surf or a 3b 86 bj-70 the surf is turbo and drove like a dream.. the torque is unreal and it was quiter than my 22res are!!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:02 AM

Get an intake, header, exhaust, and a cam from http://www.engnbldr.com/ that should give you some more power.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Look at getting a 70's TOYOTA diesel. either from a Hilux, stout, BJ series LC.
No emissions have to be worried about, and your keeping with a TOYOTA brand name.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 AM

this 2lte hilux surf was sooo clean!!!and 108km has updated heads and the guy has babied it since 77km a year and half ago all hiway driveing to ottawa and bancroft

but something tells me to buy a rusty bj-70 with 3b and 300km
Old 08-24-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Couple thoughts: You can't "convert" a gas engine to a diesel engine. Well, in theory you could I suppose, with a lot of money. You can "swap" from a gas engine to a diesel engine.

For the life of me I can't see dropping a GM turbo diesel V8 into a Toyota. Too big, too heavy, too overkill.

You have an overheating issue that needs to be fixed before you do any mods to your current engine. A cam/turbo/whatever is only going to make your problem worse. Check your radiator cap, you might not be building enough pressure. Also, consider a 3 row radiator, pretty sure most of the 22RE's came stock with a 2 row, mine did. You have a flow issue, either water or air.

Lastly, and this is just my impression from talking to lots of people who have done them, but the words "engine swap", "cheap", "easy" are not synonomous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Diesel Engines?