Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stereo turns itself off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo turns itself off!

Yeah, so heres my latest problem 8) my stereo likes to shut off, well not actually turn off but the speakers all cut out, me and my friend did the install and wiring ourselves, and its all speakers at once, so do you guys think its just a loose wire on the back of the deck? it is an old deck, heh tape deck so it could just be dieing, but it only cuts out when i turn left and hit a bump, then i just hit it or put my fingers in the tape hole and push down to get it to work again. Any suggestions? and how do i take it off, my friend helped me last time, he just took two butterknives and had it all out in about 10 seconds, i dont know how he did it. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Stereo turns itself off!

Originally posted by nolongeraneqaddict
Yeah, so heres my latest problem 8) my stereo likes to shut off, well not actually turn off but the speakers all cut out, me and my friend did the install and wiring ourselves, and its all speakers at once, so do you guys think its just a loose wire on the back of the deck? it is an old deck, heh tape deck so it could just be dieing, but it only cuts out when i turn left and hit a bump, then i just hit it or put my fingers in the tape hole and push down to get it to work again. Any suggestions? and how do i take it off, my friend helped me last time, he just took two butterknives and had it all out in about 10 seconds, i dont know how he did it. Thanks in advance.
Which generation of 4runner do you have?

The first thing I would suggest doing is checking to make sure that the (+) and (-) terminals are securely fastened to the front battery. Then go from there downstream to the HU. You will find the problem somewhere along that line. I had a similar problem with my 2nd gen....

Does your digital clock konk out too? If so that IS the difinitive sign that the battery terminals are loose and need to be tightened.

It's also likely that a wire pulled out. How did you connect the wiring harness to the HU's harness? Did you silver soilder it or just use butt connectors?

You may also want to check the HU's own fuse. It will be in a white, opaque case on the Yellow wire coming from the HU.

Steve

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 08-03-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah i have a 2nd Gen to, but no the clock doesnt dissconnect, and i used Duct Tape to secure em *grin* always worked on my home stereo but i guess that doesnt get bumped around as much as my car, so ill have to take a look at that, thanks ill take a look at it in the morning 8) itll be nice to not have to beat the crap out of my stereo just to listen to something for once.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:03 AM

You have a grounded speaker wire.