84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22r Carb/intake Manifold Upgrade And Emmissions Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r Carb/intake Manifold Upgrade And Emmissions Removal

Hello my name is Joseph. I have a 1984 4x4 pickup and I have already began to remove all rubber lines to include the carb. My goal is to get ride of all the junk emmissions lines and have something simple. I am going to buy a 32/36 webber with a aftermarket intake from summit racing part#6248-c single plane. I was told that LCE makes block off plates for the stock manifold, but if I get this intake do I still need this blockoff kit or not. Does anybody have any pics or better sugestions on what Im trying to accomplish.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jytuarte
Hello my name is Joseph. I have a 1984 4x4 pickup and I have already began to remove all rubber lines to include the carb. My goal is to get ride of all the junk emmissions lines and have something simple. I am going to buy a 32/36 webber with a aftermarket intake from summit racing part#6248-c single plane. I was told that LCE makes block off plates for the stock manifold, but if I get this intake do I still need this blockoff kit or not. Does anybody have any pics or better sugestions on what Im trying to accomplish.
Sorry, no photos or useful information on how to do what you're looking to, simply wanted to make you aware that you're subjecting yourself to a minimum $2500.00 fine if "caught", as you're breaking Federal law

Fred
Old 06-29-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you're making more work for yourself honestly. what your trying to do is exactly how my brothers 85 is. Previous owner had done that to the motor.

You will gain no performance by doing this. I hate his weber, and we're actually looking to put a stock carb back on it.

Sure it's simple, the only vacum lines coming off it go to the vac advance on the distrubutor but the webers themselves suck.

My truck, an 87 and the last 22r they put a carb on runs awesome and I've even decided to let my EFI conversion collect dust because I have no more complaints about the carb. Only thing I've done is eliminate the EGR on my motor because I got tired of fighting an exhaust leak on the EGR exhaust manifold.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:06 AM

correct me if I am wrong, but i am pretty sure that emmissions isn't required on a 25 year old car/truck, which it will be next year.

I too would like to see how to do this, as I am trying to clean up the engine bay, I dont really care if it doesn't "enhance" performance, I am just trying to clean up the mess of vacuum lines running all over the place on the passenger side.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by smorrison1
correct me if I am wrong, but i am pretty sure that emmissions isn't required on a 25 year old car/truck, which it will be next year.

I too would like to see how to do this, as I am trying to clean up the engine bay, I dont really care if it doesn't "enhance" performance, I am just trying to clean up the mess of vacuum lines running all over the place on the passenger side.
I'm not talking about whether or not your state requires an emissions check.
I'm talking about Federal law and it doesn't care about how old or not a vehicle is.

Fred
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM

1974 and older. it dose not change by the year
Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FredTJ
I'm talking about Federal law and it doesn't care about how old or not a vehicle is.

Fred
honestly bro if they really wanted to crack down on this bs nonsense they woulda already and 3/4 of the cars trucks and suvs would be taken off the road cause they have one thing or another illegal about them
unless u work for the federal law then i suggest u keep ur comments to urself and let them do what theyr gonnna do cause quite frankly it looks as is no one cares
Old 07-04-2008, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by 84socal
honestly bro if they really wanted to crack down on this bs nonsense they woulda already and 3/4 of the cars trucks and suvs would be taken off the road cause they have one thing or another illegal about them
unless u work for the federal law then i suggest u keep ur comments to urself and let them do what theyr gonnna do cause quite frankly it looks as is no one cares
I think you're the one that needs to chill. I'm guessing Fred doesn't care if they do this or not and I don't recall a statement in his comments saying not to do it. He was just pointing out what is apparently a fact so that they could then make their own decision.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:17 AM

Well back to topic, if you get that intake you should not need the LCE block off plate.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ

Fred

ah, ok, well thats why i said correct me if i am wrong! lol

thanks for clarifying, i guess ill just have to make the decision to not worry about it.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
You will gain no performance by doing this. I hate his weber, and we're actually looking to put a stock carb back on it.
I just pulled a carbed motor outa one of my 85 yotas. Guy said it has around 200,000 on it and "ran" when it was parked for parts. If thats true or not I have no idea but I have most of the parts still on and for the motor, including the carb, if your interested in anything let me know. shot me a PM.

I'll be posting alot of 84/85 pickup parts here in the next couple months after I get this cab swap done and time to list things.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 AM

Just FYI as well, you don't need to change intake manifolds to put a weber carb on. As for blockoff plates, if your brain is much more than jello they're not that hard to make, unless you want to shell out the cash for LCE ones for the bling factor.