Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help, timing belt marks does not line up with cam/crank pulley and engine marks

Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help, timing belt marks does not line up with cam/crank pulley and engine marks

I've been researching for an hour, but I cant find an answer. Please help me.

The lines on the timing belt do not line up with the cam and crank timing mark reference points after hand turning the engine several revolutions. In other words, the belt shifts, but the crank and cam pulleys still line up with the reference points on the engine. The crank pulley still lines up with the oil pump mark and the cams are lined up with the cam caps.

I start by aligning the crank, right and left hand cam pulley timing marks to the engine reference points. I then wrap the belt and align the timing mark on the belt with the points on the pulleys (crank and cam). Once everything is aligned, this is how I know the marks on the belt is good, I turn the engine using the crankshaft bolt. After several revolutions, the crank and cam points line up with the engine marks....however, the timing mark drawn on the belt itself skips a tooth to the left on the cam pulleys. This movement occurs if I turn the engine everytime to the same number of revolutions. The tensioner is not installed yet, but I dont feel it is jumping a tooth otherwise the cams would not line up in the end.

Thoughts? Can I reassemble my engine? Is this normal?

Last, after installing the tensioner and hoses, at what point can I start the engine to see if my installation went well? Do I need to hook up the fan, A/C, radiator, radiator belts, powersteering before I start the car. I just want to run the engine for a brief moment to check.

Thanks as always and enternaly grateful for you teaching me.

Ariel

Last edited by arielb1; 05-27-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't worry, it's prefectly normal. The white marks on the belt are only for initial setup, they will move with each revolution. I think eventually they'll line up again if you turn the engine enough times. As long as the marks on the pulleys line up it will be fine.

And as for starting the engine I would put the rad back and fill the cooling system up first. You don't need the fan or belts for a short run.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Thank you Eric-The-Red

I was so happy when I saw a posting from you. You are such a valuable member on this forum. Thank you so much. You put my mind at rest. I will continue with the assembly.

I see you live in BC. I wish you were closer I would like to buy you many drinks to show my appreciation. You have helped me learn so much from all you postings. I will throw in a dinner to boot.

Thank you again...and again.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, no need to hump his leg....

JK- glad you got it figured out.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Lol....sometimes the joy of a vehicle working is just too overwhelming, zlathim.

About the timing belt.....
Some of them don't even have marks, so it's not an issue even when trying to line things up. My replacement belt didn't have one on the last replacement, but the cam/crank alignment was right on. Like eric said, that's all that matters.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Lol....sometimes the joy of a vehicle working is just too overwhelming, zlathim.
yea, and sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut, but that rarely happens!!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

You guys bust me up.

This is my first timing belt. As you can tell, I am inexperienced and very afraid.

I do know how to hump one's leg though...

thanks again for the chimes..feeling warmer now.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by arielb1

I do know how to hump one's leg though...
So, do I! Hell...that's how I've made some of my best friends! It's a matter of trust, you see....

Anyway, everyone knows the feeling when you first start working on your own vehicle. Most will tell you (I will, definitely) that once you've done something it's no longer a big deal. And, I'm sure you'll find that out for yourself as you go along.

Congratulations on your first timing belt....
Old 05-27-2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by zlathim
yea, and sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut, but that rarely happens!!
Keep your mouth shut?! Now, don't go getting all boring on us....
Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Keep your mouth shut?! Now, don't go getting all boring on us....
Well, ok. I have to admit though, that's the first time anyone has not taken me up on an offer to shut up. Hmmmm, feels like bizaro world or something!

arielb1- Good job on the Timing Belt. You can be proud of yourself. You saved yourself a bunch of dough and probably learned a few things in the process. You can be confident in your abilities to do your own repairs, and there is no small measure of satisfaction in that. Thanks for taking my ribbing lightly, I just like to have a little fun from time to time.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just replaced timing belt on an 08 tundra. did not have cylinder #1 to TDC compression, however, all of the engine marks were aligned. installed belt and am unsure whether to start over. turned crank several several times did not align the belt marks with the engine, cam and crank marks. However, the engine marks aligned. what should I do?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by scheran
just replaced timing belt on an 08 tundra. did not have cylinder #1 to TDC compression, however, all of the engine marks were aligned. installed belt and am unsure whether to start over. turned crank several several times did not align the belt marks with the engine, cam and crank marks. However, the engine marks aligned. what should I do?
Could start with posting a new thread in the correct section. Then make sure your spark plugs are all in and double check that you did indeed align everything correctly. Double check valve lash. The basics.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
"all of the engine marks were aligned" ... with what? You just said it wasn't at TDC.

If your question is whether marks on the belt should line up with the sprockets after turning the crank several times, the answer is "no."

But I don't know anything about Tundras. Posting in the right place is sure to help.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
Don't worry, it's prefectly normal. The white marks on the belt are only for initial setup, they will move with each revolution. I think eventually they'll line up again if you turn the engine enough times. As long as the marks on the pulleys line up it will be fine.

And as for starting the engine I would put the rad back and fill the cooling system up first. You don't need the fan or belts for a short run.
Nice! Thank you I'm glad there's so many knowledgeable people on this site. I've been doing a head gasket on my gf's 93 pickup 3vze outside in -3C weather here in Nova Scotia. She actually got the truck in the okanagan when we lived in BC last year. Had to stop a sec and warm up in the car when I noticed my timing belt marks were jumping one tooth to the left every few rotations. Thank you I can continue working now!