Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Control Arm Bushings

Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Control Arm Bushings

While swapping a new 22re into my 86 4runner I noticed that the front bushing on my upper control arm was no where to be found. It makes sense why the 4runner has been squeeking when the front flexed lately. After looking it up on the forum it sounds like they are a major pain to change. I'm a little short on cash for the moment since I just bought a new engine for the 4runner so I'l have to fix it on the cheap.

My options are
-buying one bushing from Toyota, pulling the control arm and having a shop press it in ~$100
-buying a complete bushing kit from downey or energy suspension and buying a small 6 ton shop press from harbor freight and doing all of the bushings up front (it looks like they haven't been replace in 22 years 300,000 miles) ~$150
-just buying another control arm from the junkyard, but I'm not to set on the idea of putting in used bushings, how long will they last? ~$50

What would you do? Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you dont feel good about doing the job yourself check around online for a used complete arm (lots of people go SAS) i myself would get the poly ones and press them in.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you envision needing the press in the future then by all means, go buy it.
Otherwise, buy the bushings, pull the arms and find a machine shop to press them for you. last time I had a need for something like that, a local machine shop charged me around 10 bucks a bushing
Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can use a bench vise to press the old rubber bushings out, and to press the new polyurethane bushings in. they will squeak tho.. i can tell you how to help with the squeaking if you're interested.
...the polyurethane bushings from energy suspension dont come with the steel bushing sleeves.. you need to press the rubber out, and cut it off. there is no need to take it to a machine shop, because you should leave the outer steel sleeves pressed into the control arms while only pressing out the rubber part & inner steel sleve with a bench vise and a couple of big sockets/peices of wood cut up to work. its a pain in the ass... it helps to get all the rubber off if you have a wire wheel.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 AM

..i can guide you through the process step by step if you want... its a hard job, but a simple job, and you can do it with simple hand tools and a vise.. and it should cost less than $50.

Last edited by JCM4x89pu; 05-22-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:23 PM

I just bought a whole new control arm bushing kit and have no idea how to put them in. Could you give me a step by step procedure?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 PM

bump........................please update with that procedure anyone....
Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure if this will work in this application but when I removed the bushings from some old spring packs I used a Harbor Freight ball joint press. It was the grey one they had on sale for 20$ and it worked great. Just hook up an air impact and drive the bushings out, took about 2 minutes per spring.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 AM

Wow, I didn't know any every replied to this. I ended up just buying Poly bushings from Downey.

-I removed both Torsion bars
-unbolted the upper ball joint from the upper control arm
-drilled about a dozen holes in the old rubber bushings, then used a torch and razor blade to remove what ever was left
-I though I'd need a shop to press the new bushings in, but it turns out they pop right into place
-I installed the bushings and re-installed the control arm

I ordered both sets for the upper and lower control arm. I've only changed the upper bushings so far. If you only have to change the lower bushings I'd imagine you could do it without removing the torsion bars, but you will have to take note of the position of the cam bolts (I believe that's what they're called). I hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by strykersd
If you only have to change the lower bushings I'd imagine you could do it without removing the torsion bars, but you will have to take note of the position of the cam bolts (I believe that's what they're called). I hope this helps.
For others that may read this, there is also a good likelihood that the cam bolts and the sleeves they go through will be frozen together with rust. Fortunately mine came apart fine (one upside to the desert) but I have read more than a couple threads where they were impossible to seperate. I'm also not sure you ever get the alignment right by marking the cam bolts, but it's certainly worth a shot. I marked. It didn't work. But it also didn't cost me anything to try it.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 AM

I was leaning toward drilling and cutting. I am glad to know this works. I did pick up a harbor freight 12 ton shop press last night for about $100. I have to remove the frozen cut off stubs of bolts from my chevy springs, and I may want to re gear in the future. I had a 15% off cupon so i figured what the heck. Thanks for the tips I will feel more comfortable doing it now. for anyone that did presss theres, I think the service manual says press off the front first and then slide the shaft out and press the rear out. Wow that sounded bad with that wording. Anyway you get my drift, is that what you guys with a press have done?
I am definately ready to have the bushings and BJ spacers on here and take her for a spin. the PO had the t bars torqed and the ride was very harsh, I am hoping with spacers bushings, and OME shocks it will be a little more well mannered.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
im just wondering what happens if you dont get the cam bolts lined back up... and how you are supposed to do it...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:21 AM

I thought there was a thread about diy alignment. They told where to take measurements and use levels and stuff. I makes sense that putting new bushings in would change the alignment, because the last time it was aligned it was for the sagging suspension. Now with everything back where it belongs it will be different. With the cost of tires, anytime you do anything to the suspension it is probably worth getting everything back to proper alignment, not just return it to what it was before.
I may also be completely wrong, but it seems to make sense.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by trbizwiz
I was leaning toward drilling and cutting. I am glad to know this works. I did pick up a harbor freight 12 ton shop press last night for about $100. I have to remove the frozen cut off stubs of bolts from my chevy springs, and I may want to re gear in the future. I had a 15% off cupon so i figured what the heck. Thanks for the tips I will feel more comfortable doing it now. for anyone that did presss theres, I think the service manual says press off the front first and then slide the shaft out and press the rear out. Wow that sounded bad with that wording. Anyway you get my drift, is that what you guys with a press have done?
I am definately ready to have the bushings and BJ spacers on here and take her for a spin. the PO had the t bars torqed and the ride was very harsh, I am hoping with spacers bushings, and OME shocks it will be a little more well mannered.
About pressing it out, it depends if you're using factory bushings or aftermarket poly bushings. Factory bushings you'd want to push the whole piece out and replace it, but for poly bushings you have to reuse the stock sleeves, so It's probably better not to push the sleeve out.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Energy Suspensions bushings don't require you to press the shell out of the arm.
here's the installation instructions for both upper and lowers:
http://www.energysuspension.com/pdf_instruc/17019.PDF
Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 AM

I was thinking I would use a socket just smaller than the sleece and while I am using the press heat the sleeve with a torch to melt the outter portion of the factory bushing. I figured it would pop right out when it gets warm enough. I had planned on leaving the sleeve in there though. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:21 PM

helpful video

This video shows the best way to burn out an old bushing and how to press in a bushing sleeve without a press.
No, this doesn't directly apply to CA bushings, but the concept is very similar and applicable. I learned something.

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionpart...thout-a-press/
Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sticksnstones
This video shows the best way to burn out an old bushing and how to press in a bushing sleeve without a press.
No, this doesn't directly apply to CA bushings, but the concept is very similar and applicable. I learned something.

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionpart...thout-a-press/
In the video they recommend sanding the bushing housing before installing the new bushing. 1. Would you do this if you leave the outer sleeve in? 2. Doesn't this run the chance of enlarging the housing and making your bushing no longer fit snug?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:57 AM

Did my control arm bushings few years back with energy suspension.

Blowtorch, kind that screws onto the small propane can. get em burning good, plenty black smoke so be aware of your location. Use a wood dowel or similar and push em out. Finish up with rotary tool and barrel sander.

In hindsight I wish I would have gotten the factory rubber bushings and pressed em in.

Why: Im a squeak machine now. not terrible, but not sneaking up on anyone either (flow master and no cat doesn't help either, haha). And yes lubed the sh&t out of them on install, but thats the thing...you can only lube them when they're out. There may be a system that has a fitting to lube them, but IDK...
Im not a hard core crawler or high speed desert runner so I doubt I needed the heavy duty Poly bushings.

my $.02
Old 07-19-2016, 06:31 AM

can't find lower rear control arm bushings for my 92 toyota pu

Any ideas on where to find rear lower control arm bushings for my 92 Toyota PU. I have found poli and OEM for the front only. Do I need to change them? I have not been able to find any info on this either. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Jayc1958; 07-19-2016 at 06:34 AM. Reason: post placed in wrong area

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Control Arm Bushings