Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Forward Swing Scout Steering Box For SAS?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forward Swing Scout Steering Box For SAS?

I have a 99 4Runner. After some research of different forward swing boxes (FJ80 and Fj60 and Scout Saginaw) I've decided to go with the Saginaw for simplicity and cost. The reason I'm going with a forward swing is b/c I plan to move the front axle forward around 8" (3 link front suspension with coilovers) and I doubt a regular rear facing pitman arm box would work.

However, this whole forward swing thing is new to me and I have some questions. Searching for "Forward Swing Steering Box" netted nothing.

My questions relate mostly to how these boxes work and the geometry of setting them up with relation to the tie rod and draglink as well as adding in hydro assist.

First: I'm assuming that forward swing boxes will work with the steering arms (and consequently the tie rod and draglink) being in front of the axle housing and not behind it. In other words, when I turn the steering wheel to the passenger side, the pitman arm moves toward the passenger side and makes the wheels turn passenger, right?

If the box was set up from the factory vehicle (in this case a Scout) with the steering arms in front of the axle, it should work this way.

If the box was set up from the factory with the arms behind the axle, and I move those arms to the front, then when I turn the wheel passenger, the pitman will actually move driver, correct?

I'm pretty sure the Scout Saginaw had the steering arms on the front side of the D44 front axle, but I'm looking for confirmation.

Next: When I set up the steering (for those of you using the Scout box....and hopefully, hydro assist)....do I want the draglink in front of the tie rod, or do I want the tie rod in front of the draglink? On conventional rear swing boxes with hydro assist, the draglink is in front of the tie rod and the hydro assist cylinder is between the diff cover and tie rod. If I set it up with the draglink in front of the tie rod, I can easily mount my hydro assist cylinder between the diff cover and tie rod, but the pitman arm will have to swing in its arc above the tie rod....possibly limiting uptravel substantially.

If I set it up the other way; with the tie rod in front of the drag link, obviously, the pitman arm will be clear of the tie rod, but the tie rod will be so far out in front of the axle housing, it may make mounting the assist cylinder very difficult.

What has everyone done with regard to these issues?

Oh, and if it matters, the front axle will be a Chevy Kingpin D60 (non-narrowed).

Thanks,
Sean