Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got a little more clearance, Clarence!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a little more clearance, Clarence!

Well, I got my 2" 4Crawler BL installed last weekend. I did it by myself, wasn't TOO hard... Had to make a few trips to Home Depot for some extra nuts and bolts, but all in all, it was very straightforward. Being that I did by myself, I didn't take pics of the install, but I just followed Roger's notes, anyway. I really like it, and other than a couple of minor adjustment issues left to resolve (AT linkage and gas lines), she's good. I'll be taking it out on the 31st for a real trail run, so we'll see how the extra clearance works out. I drove to Tuscon and back this week, and didn't notice any real change in handling even at highway speeds.

I wanna thank Ryan (Tanto) for blessing me with a sweet deal, and Roger for making a great product.

Here's some pics (I know, I know the trucks dirty, but it ain't no street queen, ok?)

Screwing around on a hill near the church:

Oh yeah, and I got the go ahead from me wifey to get some sliders as soon as we get the tax return back... WOO HOO!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Looking good! Surprising how much lift 2" really is! So, let me get this straight: you're getting a tax refund AND the wifey will let you spend it on off road toys??? You are ONE LUCKY MAN!!! I ain't got either, LOL.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:02 PM

truck looks prime...and that body lift makes it that much better. good work....and what the hell are you talking about with dirty...mine is way dirtier then that all the time!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:03 PM

WOW...your Taco looks SWEET! are the bumper's for your rig attached to the frame? I nothiced there wasn't any gap..the reason I ask is that I'm gonna do the same 4crawler bl lift later this month and on the 3rd gens it leaves a noticeable gap on the bumper and body. Did it mess with your center of gravity..you said it ran fine on the freeway? Thanks James
Old 03-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Looks great CJ!! Absolutely beautiful. What all do you have to extend/fab up when doing a BL as far as steering, and electrical wiring, and plumbing, things of that nature, I saw you mentioned the AT Linkage, what are you gonna do with that?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Looks great CJ!!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great. I love the front end, with the hellas and clears. Keep up the great work man.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jdizzydub
WOW...your Taco looks SWEET! are the bumper's for your rig attached to the frame? I nothiced there wasn't any gap..the reason I ask is that I'm gonna do the same 4crawler bl lift later this month and on the 3rd gens it leaves a noticeable gap on the bumper and body. Did it mess with your center of gravity..you said it ran fine on the freeway? Thanks James
Yeah, freeway was fine... I mean, you don't wanna try pulling a 90 degree turn doing 70, but it didn't feel squirrelly...

As far as the bumper goes, Ryan didn't have the bumper brackets that you can get from Roger, but after looking at Roger's site, I just made some from some flat steel stock I had. I'll get some pics of what I did in the next few days...

If you get the bumper brackets from Roger, you'll be golden.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
Looks great CJ!! Absolutely beautiful. What all do you have to extend/fab up when doing a BL as far as steering, and electrical wiring, and plumbing, things of that nature, I saw you mentioned the AT Linkage, what are you gonna do with that?
Chris, as far as the steering goes, you can (and need to, with the 2") get a steering linkage extender from Roger. Easy to put in. The gas lines are pretty tight, and I am going to get some fuel lines and extend everything to give it some slack, but even with things being tight, it's still ok. I didn't have any electrical issues. And with the AT linkage, there's enough adjustment on the stock linkage to put it where it needs to be. I just haven't done that yet. It shifts fine, but it's slightly off with the indicator (when it's in D, the red marker is halfway between "D" and "N". Again, it shifts fine, just the indicator's a little off. Roger has incredibly detailed instructions, and it really isn't that hard to to. Just take your time, and go slow. And get a friend to help. I did it by myself, but it would have gone a little easier with help. I just couldn't wait untill I had a friend with time off...
Old 03-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marc P
Looks great CJ!!
Thanks, dude... Just gotta get some sliders now, and we can go play on the rocks!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:32 PM

Looks good!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Lookin good CJ! Those bolts/nuts you picked up from Home Depot - are they the right grade? What are they for?

Just want you and the fam to stay safe...
Old 03-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Truck looks great CJ! Very nice!

BTW, did you strip the paint off of your factory skid plate? I've seen a few rigs on Yotatech with what appears to be a bare metal factory skid plate. I'm guessing this involves simply removing the factory black paint by brushing on paint stripper? Do tell, beacuse I like it.

Last edited by RR DIFF LOCK; 03-19-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Lookin good CJ! Those bolts/nuts you picked up from Home Depot - are they the right grade? What are they for?

Just want you and the fam to stay safe...
All Grade 8, my brutha! I got the good stuff...
Old 03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RR DIFF LOCK
Truck looks great CJ! Very nice!

BTW, did you strip the paint off of your factory skid plate? I've seen a few rigs on Yotatech with what appears to be a bare metal factory skid plate. I'm guessing this involves simply removing the factory black paint by brushing on paint stripper? Do tell, beacuse I like it.
Thanks, bud!

For the skid, I just did a little sanding, priming, and used Krylon Aluminum colored paint. A few coats, and it was good. I just touch it up periodically...
Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I likey!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM

its a beefcake now
Old 03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

CJ, all you have to do is put the tranny in park, remove the nut on the linkage and put the shifter into Park again, reattach the nut and linkage and that's it.

Yeah, I forgot to take the front bumper bracket off my bumper before I threw it out and I never raised my rear bumper....at the time I thought that a new rear bumper was going to be in my near future but that obviously never happened LOL
Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 AM

Nice job on the install bro!! Looks good!!

I'll be doing a 1.5" BL on my Runner in the next couple months, Just saving up for the Poly replacement Body mount bushings (so I can do both at once)
Old 03-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 97Limited
Nice job on the install bro!! Looks good!!

I'll be doing a 1.5" BL on my Runner in the next couple months, Just saving up for the Poly replacement Body mount bushings (so I can do both at once)
Thanks, man! That would be the best, doing both at the same time. It's not really hard, it's just time consuming loosening all the hardware and then getting it all dialed again. The hardest part was getting the old hardware off. Mine's only been on there for 4 years, and I live in the desert (very little moisture). Roger recommends soaking all the bolts with a lubricant for a few days prior to install. Lining up the bed and the cab was a little interesting, but again, not too huge of an issue. All in all, it want pretty well and straightforward. Making the bumper brackets took the most time out of everything.

Quick Reply: Got a little more clearance, Clarence!