Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

installing fog lights on tacoma front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing fog lights on tacoma front bumper

hey guys, do you have a link on how to drill and mount lights on a bumber of a 2002 tacoma. i have noticed that some have you have. how hard is it and what extra stuff like stainless washers and etc would i need? thanks guys
Old 03-09-2007, 06:04 AM

anyone have a link or simple instructions??
Old 03-09-2007, 09:10 AM

come on guys i havent seen a post yet with some instruction on how and where to mount fog lights on a stock bumper - the plastic too on a 2002 tacoma.. anyone here with some info?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

umm...you already told yourself what to do and what to buy.

Step by step instructions....

Step 1: Drill two holes
Step 2: Mount them.
Step 3: Look at the end result.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

When I did mine, I measured it off center, so they were even, made sure that I wouldn't drill through the supports underneath (or the tabs for the front chrome) and drilled it out. I used larger washers top and bottom. Other than a slight loosening from time to time (coulda put lock-tite, but I didn't and I do wheel this thing) they work fine. Here's a pic of the front of mine:

Name:  PierceinFlagChelsskatingnewtires011.jpg
Views: 9137
Size:  66.1 KB
Old 03-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
When I did mine, I measured it off center, so they were even, made sure that I wouldn't drill through the supports underneath (or the tabs for the front chrome) and drilled it out. I used larger washers top and bottom. Other than a slight loosening from time to time (coulda put lock-tite, but I didn't and I do wheel this thing) they work fine. Here's a pic of the front of mine:

did you take the bumper off by chance to secure the bolts for the light mounts?? do you remember how far from center by chance?? just curious thanks man for the reply.. btw did you use the switch from toyota if so, how do you have it rigged? sorry for the questions man and thanks again
Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 AM

are those fog lights or drving? if fog how are they? to me they arent low enough.. jmo
Old 03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
are those fog lights or drving? if fog how are they? to me they arent low enough.. jmo
I live in the desert, dude. Don't see much fog here...

I use them for auxiliary off road lights. You can position them to point downward if you wanted to. You can also get smaller lights and mount them in the lower grill area, I have seen that done.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 AM

I live in the desert, dude. Don't see much fog here...

I use them for auxiliary off road lights. You can position them to point downward if you wanted to. You can also get smaller lights and mount them in the lower grill area, I have seen that done.

haha yeah i guess you dont have too much fog do ya lol.. didnt notice where you lived till your comment.. sorry......... to high for fogs, i would have to find some hella compact fog lights for the black part of the bumper. anyone know what will fit down there? the ff50's? ff75's fog lights by hella?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

did you take the bumper off by chance to secure the bolts for the light mounts?? do you remember how far from center by chance?? just curious thanks man for the reply.. btw did you use the switch from toyota if so, how do you have it rigged? sorry for the questions man and thanks again
I didn't take the bumper off. I just used a long extension. I don't remember what size exactly, but I wanna say it was a 18 or 19mm. I also don't remember how far off center. If you get under there, you can see what I was talking about as far as the "clips" that hold the chrome piece on. You wanna avoid those. I ended up actually catching the edge of one, which isn't a big deal, but in retrospect I would have moved in further in just slightly. I ran the wiring up through the front of the chassis and into the engine bay, past the battery and then through one of the rubber seals that goes into the cab. Once you get into it, you'll see what I mean. Under the dash, over to the center console where I used an aftermarket switch. Eventually I'll probably get a genuine Toyota fog switch, but the one I have works fine.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Check these out... these would fit, I think:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HELLA...99522448QQrdZ1
Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 AM

I didn't take the bumper off. I just used a long extension. I don't remember what size exactly, but I wanna say it was a 18 or 19mm. I also don't remember how far off center. If you get under there, you can see what I was talking about as far as the "clips" that hold the chrome piece on. You wanna avoid those. I ended up actually catching the edge of one, which isn't a big deal, but in retrospect I would have moved in further in just slightly. I ran the wiring up through the front of the chassis and into the engine bay, past the battery and then through one of the rubber seals that goes into the cab. Once you get into it, you'll see what I mean. Under the dash, over to the center console where I used an aftermarket switch. Eventually I'll probably get a genuine Toyota fog switch, but the one I have works fine.
thanks a bunch man.. did you rig it up like the instructions (straight to the battery and turn it on manually?)
Old 03-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

thanks a bunch man.. did you rig it up like the instructions (straight to the battery and turn it on manually?)
Yeah, I thought about tapping into the brights, but I wanted to be able to have control over them, so I just went to the battery and then into the cab.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Check these out... these would fit, I think:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HELLA...99522448QQrdZ1

not bad but you dont want a focused beam for fog lights. you want them spread out as far as possible... not bad for 40$ though.. any other ideas?? thanks again too
Old 03-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Yeah, I thought about tapping into the brights, but I wanted to be able to have control over them, so I just went to the battery and then into the cab.

thanks man
Old 03-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

not bad but you dont want a focused beam for fog lights. you want them spread out as far as possible... not bad for 40$ though.. any other ideas?? thanks again too
Well, you can do what I did, and just punch in "Hella fog" into the eBay search engine and see what comes up. If you're concerned about the light pattern, you can take the model number to the Hella website and see if it's what you need. That's what I'd do...
Old 03-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Well, you can do what I did, and just punch in "Hella fog" into the eBay search engine and see what comes up. If you're concerned about the light pattern, you can take the model number to the Hella website and see if it's what you need. That's what I'd do...
thanks one more time man!!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

thanks one more time man!!
No worries. Good luck with the install!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:54 AM

No worries. Good luck with the install!

yeah thanks i might be pm'ing you somtime for some pointers haha
Old 03-09-2007, 11:02 AM

I put some of these on my truck yesterday, they are a 17mm socket, and I had to take my bumper off, but I do have another gen!! I like them, I have mine facing somewhat down, because I dont see much offroad, just dark back roads!

Quick Reply: installing fog lights on tacoma front bumper