FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Rock chips/broken windshields: FJ Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Rock chips/broken windshields: FJ Cruiser

I have read on many a forum that the near vertical windshield of the FJ Cruiser can be prone to both chips and cracks, which can lead to a full replacement.

Up to now, I have been lucky.
I did hear a "whack" at the start of the week coming home from work, have heard it a few times.

Today while dusting out the interior I noticed a chip about the size of a dime at the lower passenger side.

I can feel a slight indentation in it.
Called my insurance up to see how to get it fixed, and for me it is free.
They contract out, and the agent will come to my home to fix it, way cool.

If it had been bigger than a dollar bill, the crack would be considered for a full replacement.
These windshields I hear are up around $1,200?
Have not checked in awhile, and it is best to have a full replacement done at the Toyota dealership, as glass houses have screwed up the install and ruined the roof on a few rigs from what I have read.
My agent will even specify only Toyota glass to be used if I ever need a full replacement, and I can also get the work done at my dealership instead of another glass shop.

My deductible on my comprehensive is $250, but I also have a 7 year extended warranty (free engine replacement, anything that goes wrong after the standard Toyota 3 year warranty) so having the extended warranty through my insurance lowers that to only $50 for a full windshield replacement, that blew me away when they just told me that.

Anyone here have to have had a chip repair done yet or a full replacement?
On the chip repair, did it hide it entirely?

I had the 4Runner done many years ago for the same size chip, and I was not impressed with it.
Hopefully they have come along some and the technology is better and hides it more.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
our deductible on our insurance is 250, and the glass in my dad's f250, my mom's CRV, and my accord was all under 200, installed all factory glass. we never bothered with the insurance company.

i find it kind of hard to believe that the glass for an fj is 1200. maybe it will come down to the 200 level when they have been around for a few more years.

i have a huge crack in my 3rd gen's windshield. i figure ill get it replaced after i get stopped for it.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
the problem here isnt the chip, its your dusting. you wouldnt have to worry about this if you didnt start dusting
Old 03-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he he...
Gotta dust.
I was born with allergies, haaa, haaa, haaa choo!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

This guy was quoted $1,400 for a replacement.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/463

His chip is in the same place as mine, and looks about the same.

However...as I went to the grocery store this morning, mine spidered out during the night in two 4" long cracks.
I am not sure if they can fix it now, I may be getting a whole new one.

It is well documented over on fjcruiserforums.com about many having this problem.
Toyota needs to address the issue, but it may be hard since the windshield sits at near vertical.

They will just be replacing a lot of glass over the next several years.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:04 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Dusting?

Who needs a windshield anyway? Just wear a helmet with a bug shield.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:23 AM

I posted bacisically a warning to a few members who bought new Tacoma's.... I do know the FJ has more of a vertical windshield which makes it a bigger target, but I had problems with rocks chips with my paint and windshield.

I highly recommend PPG Glass as it is a few mm thicker and also recommend a "clear bra" made out of that 3M material for paint (front end).
Old 03-04-2007, 06:36 AM

here in ky if you have full coverage there is no deductible on glass.it is a considered a safety item-as are glass composite headlamps
Old 03-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

PPG glass, never heard of that.
I do have the 3M or equivalent stuff on the hood, lights, mirrors, door handles, ect.

Done the 2nd week I got the rig.
I may look into a bug shield.
Did not really want to put one on, I like the lines without it up there, but this really is a problem with the FJ.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...e-respond.html
Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
PPG glass, never heard of that.
I do have the 3M or equivalent stuff on the hood, lights, mirrors, door handles, ect.

Done the 2nd week I got the rig.
I may look into a bug shield.
Did not really want to put one on, I like the lines without it up there, but this really is a problem with the FJ.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...e-respond.html

http://corporate.ppg.com/PPG/SBU/Aut...ss/default.htm

Here is a link Corey..... Yeah, I wished I 3M'ed my truck, but didn't and learned the hard way. I did get a deflector from day one but it did not seem to help.

I was going to purchase a black front end cover, but ended up getting rid of it after a year. There are pro's/con's to front end covers on vehices for sure. I do not think even one is made for the FJ yet...?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:45 PM

I took a rock to windshield Thurs which put a pea sized chip in it.

I called State Farm and they put me with a mobile repairman who fixed my FJ the next day. He said he's had to fix a lot of FJ's since the showed up on the streets...

I'm just glad it didnt crack. but i do have a $0 dedutable on it so when it does, replacement is covered.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:14 PM

I just replaced the near vertical windshield of the 07' FJ Cruiser and the cost of the glass was $1325.. I have a $500 deductible.. Also the glass is not the only thing that will be needed, the windshield trim can not be reused..

Last edited by Riverhorse; 03-04-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I thought that was around the going price of the new windshield.
And I had read that you need to replace that top part trim too.

Calling me dealer today to see if they stock the trim and the windows.
I have a feeling when the chip repair guy shows up at my home Tuesday that it may be to far gone to fix.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:57 AM

My neighbor just had to replace the windshield on their FJ, I think they had to pay somewhere between 1500-2000 here is San Diego (ouch!). Yes the trim has to be replaced too, a design flaw if you ask me.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I am all setup.
The rock chip repair has been canceled for tomorrow, and the window is on order out of Portland, and should land at my dealer in a day or two.

The glass repair shop they deal with is right down the street less than a mile, so I will just jaunt in there after work one day this week to get it fixed.
New trim is on order too.

Out of pocket expence for me is a whoppin' $50, not to shabby since that window is a lotta of $$$.

The side crack is now around 6", it grew a bit on my commute into work this morning.

Toyota really needs to do something here, but what can they do?
Make it thicker, I do not know
Old 03-05-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That chip and cracks can be repaired...but its up to you I used to run a windshield repair and replacement business...I have fixed cracks up to 12-14 inches it just depends what your perogative is...
Old 03-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Plexiglass
Old 03-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by 1styota4X4
That chip and cracks can be repaired...but its up to you I used to run a windshield repair and replacement business...I have fixed cracks up to 12-14 inches it just depends what your perogative is...
The insurance will not foot the bill if the damage is bigger than a dollar bill, which it is now.

Since the rig is brand new almost, I would rather have new glass.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

Yeah I still haven't replaced mine, but I have my glass sitting at the shop. It is factory and it did cost just under $1200. Lukily my insurance only makes me pay a measly $500. For now I have been driving around waiting for the the glass to shatter. I figure I don't want to pay another $500 this year, and this windshield seems prone to being replaced.

Also... When I replace my windshield, I am going to have them put the registration sticker and inspection sticker along the top left (from the inside) of the windshiled. I don't like the blind spot the darn Texas stickers create at the pillar. I would much rather have a blind spot in the sky then the spot I am turning left into. I may get harrased by the cops about this one, but if that's the excuse they use to pull me over, then they were an asshole already.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

My new window came into the dealership, and they drove it over to the glass shop.
I have to wait until Thursday to get it done, they are busy.

The sideways crack was 6" long when I left for work this morning.
As I drove off, I watched it groooooooow.

It is now almost all the way over to the drivers side, so it is almost as wide as the whole window.
I could actualy see it growing as I drove, pretty freaky.

Quick Reply: Rock chips/broken windshields: FJ Cruiser