Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power Steering Info. 22R or 22RE

22R Power Steering
22RE Power Steering
Converting 22R to Power Steering
Adding Toyota OEM Power Steering

------------------------
Just throwing this out there incase someone finds it in a search.

As far as I know most Toyota's in the 80's with the 20R or 22R didn't come with power steering. LAME! However, its easy to add, though I'm surprised I've never found any information on it!

I have a 1987 Standard Cab, shortbed Pickup (IFS) with the Carbureted 22R motor.

I would imagine this would work on the 20R (depending if theres the same mounts for the Power Steering pump on the 20R head). And ofcourse the 22RE this works fine, well its my understanding most if not all 22RE's came with Power steering? PLEASE someone correct my assumption if its wrong. =)

I got an almost complete Power Steering setup off of a 1988 pickup with the 22RE.

I got:

1. Power Steering Box. 'PS Box'
2. Power Steering Pump. 'PS Pump'

The Air Valve on the PS Pump is used on the 22RE, the two vaccum lines hook into the EFI intake. However us folks with the 22R don't have this. Apparently the lines are to regulate how much support your steering gets depending upon how the engine is performing. I read somewhere when I was researching this that at highway speeds this valve makes the Power Steering less efficient and at low speeds it increases the power output.

I tried to find a bolt to plug the hole but gave up and just used two vaccumn caps (get them for a buck or two at a parts store) to cap the connections.

3. Power Steering Resevoir. *Picture Below*
4. High Pressure line from the PS Pump to the PS Box.
5. Line from the resevoir to the PS Pump.
6. Line from PS Box to the Resevoir (return line).
7. IFS Pitman Arm.
8. PS Pump and idler Pulley BRACKET (important).
9. LINE COOLER (mounts behind grill, infront of radiator).

The bracket mounts to the front of the head and to the side of the head. It has a idler pulley (used for tightening the belt).

What I didn't get and needed:

NUMBER 2 (No. 2) Crankshaft Pulley.
4 OEM bolts for the pulley.

$80 for the pulley and bolts from the dealership. I couldn't find the right bolts at any speciality bolt shop or any parts store or even in my bin of toyota bolts and misc parts I have going! .. They're only $0.86 from the dealer so just get em when you order the pulley!

The FSM refers to the pulley as the "No.2 Crankshaft Pulley" .. important when you tell the Dealership, it took them awhile to find it in the computer but I didn't let them give up! Though the guy was getting frustrated, hehe.

The pulley bolts to the existing crankshaft pulley, which has two pulleys. This third bolt on is needed to run the PS Pump.

The following pictures aren't very good at showing all the components but you may find them helpful as a reference. I had no idea where the resevoir went but if you look closely in your own truck you'll find the fender has indents where it fits.

This is to show how the lines hook to the PS Box. The FSM doesn't have a good picture, but the lines really only fit one way.

Installation is a breeze.

I had to remove the clutch fan to get to the crankshaft pulley to install the second pulley. Maybe you can fit a wrench around the fan, I didnt want to try. Besides with the fan out everything is easier to get to.

Drill 3 holes in the fender for the Resevoir. I got the bolts and washers from Home Depot to mount that. Like said earlier, there are indents in the fender where it fits.

My PS Box came with the pitman arm still on it, if you have to replace the arm you will need a pitman arm puller (get it at a tool supply store). Take the old Steering box off, put the new one on (no hoses connected).

Install PS Pump in the bracket (4 bolts, two infront, two in back) You dont need to remove the PS pump pulley, its a tight fit but the bolts will fit in there.

Hook up the hoses. The ends use a 17mm wrench.

Fill the resevoir with fluid (fill completely). Manually move the steering wheel completely to the left, then to the right. Repeat a few times. Fill the resevoir up again, keep doing this until the resevoir stops draining.

Start the truck, left right right left right left, fill as needed.

EDIT:

To fix the steering wheel so it sits level. you can pull the cover and undo the 19mm nut, pull the wheel out and move it a few teeth, fit it back on, tighten the bolt, replace the cover..done.

DONE. Enjoy.

Last edited by drew303; 01-29-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive got an 85 22r with power steering
Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 PM

Didn't say they didn't come with power steering. I know the 22R came with PS but it wasn't common. Not sure if the pump is different or not.

Can you take a picture of it? Post it here? For reference.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:49 PM

i have a 86 with ps and will post pic of it tomorow
Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you have an 87 w/ a carb? I've never seen one.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:08 AM

I couldn't imagine wheeling without power steering. Forget lifting weights.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by bob200587
How do you have an 87 w/ a carb? I've never seen one.
Now you have =)

We also have an '87 2wd 22R. Which is from Cali so it's "cali spec" with the emissions. Few more hoses running around. My 4wd was bought in Washington in 1987. Built October of 1986.

Last edited by drew303; 02-09-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drew303
Now you have =)

We also have an '87 2wd 22R. Which is from Cali so it's "cali spec" with the emissions. Few more hoses running around. My 4wd was bought in Washington in 1987. Built October of 1986.
interesting...
Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 AM

Ok so I'm missing ONE part in my addition of Power Steering.

There is a line cooler that mounts behind the grill infront of the radiator.

This is why I made this thread, because this isnt shown in the FSM and I wouldn't of known about this part (as I didnt get it off the parts truck i got the PS off as the truck was nearly completely torn down).

I went to a junkyard and peared into the hood of an older 22R and it had the deal. If I have time tomorrow I'll go take it off.

Anyways

LINE COOLER ... missing part in my original post.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:46 PM

pic of 86 p.s

i hope this helps some , i know s couple are fuzzy but you still can get a look at the brackets ect...Name:  truck020.jpg
Views: 11920
Size:  71.2 KBName:  truck024.jpg
Views: 12585
Size:  64.4 KBName:  truck025.jpg
Views: 16659
Size:  86.9 KB
Old 02-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Thats one CLEAN engine bay! nice =)
Old 02-10-2007, 12:02 AM

i own a pressure washer lol and yes it does get used
Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 PM

since I'm the noob here, I guess I'll jack this thread. after reading through the search on 22r motors and ps pumps, I'm now certain that my problem is the truck needs a three pulley harmonic balancer as opposed to the two pulley that's on there. I have an 84, just bought with a few problems to work through. lately the power steering pump has been pushing foamy fluid back up through the resivor. on closer inspection, the belt for the pump is cock eyed and running off of a two pulley system. I called the dealership and they said they didn't know, but the parts only showed two balancer's, one with air pump and one with out. I'm guessing I need to get the one with? Help the new guy
Old 05-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Ok so I'm missing ONE part in my addition of Power Steering.

There is a line cooler that mounts behind the grill infront of the radiator.

This is why I made this thread, because this isnt shown in the FSM and I wouldn't of known about this part (as I didnt get it off the parts truck i got the PS off as the truck was nearly completely torn down).

I went to a junkyard and peared into the hood of an older 22R and it had the deal. If I have time tomorrow I'll go take it off.

Anyways

LINE COOLER ... missing part in my original post.

I *just* upgraded my 22R to power steering, much like you did here. I also didn't know about the line cooler. The steering seems to be working, but the line cooler sounds like it'll make a big difference. Can you take a couple pictures of yours so I can see the hookups for it?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by dansyota
since I'm the noob here, I guess I'll jack this thread. after reading through the search on 22r motors and ps pumps, I'm now certain that my problem is the truck needs a three pulley harmonic balancer as opposed to the two pulley that's on there. I have an 84, just bought with a few problems to work through. lately the power steering pump has been pushing foamy fluid back up through the resivor. on closer inspection, the belt for the pump is cock eyed and running off of a two pulley system. I called the dealership and they said they didn't know, but the parts only showed two balancer's, one with air pump and one with out. I'm guessing I need to get the one with? Help the new guy
Thats setup WRONG.

Someone added PS without putting the extra pulley on. The pulley is like $70 at the dealership. as stated above its the #2 pulley.

or go to a junkyard with a few wrenches and get it real cheap. =)
Old 05-02-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by TMIB
I *just* upgraded my 22R to power steering, much like you did here. I also didn't know about the line cooler. The steering seems to be working, but the line cooler sounds like it'll make a big difference. Can you take a couple pictures of yours so I can see the hookups for it?

Thanks!
I still haven't gotten around to adding one. My PS has been working fine since I installed it. The few times ive checked the temp of the fluid (just touching the lines) I could hold them in my hand. They've only gotten 'warm' tho with summer going i might want to get that line cooler =)
Old 05-03-2007, 03:15 AM

Thats setup WRONG.

Someone added PS without putting the extra pulley on. The pulley is like $70 at the dealership. as stated above its the #2 pulley.

or go to a junkyard with a few wrenches and get it real cheap. =)
thanks Drew, I called a junk yard and they told me it was an accesory pully that bolted to the two already on there. 20 bucks, and they pulled for me. I'm going to pick it up today after work

nice forum ya'll have here. I'm sure I'll be coming back frequently as my little four by has a couple of ghosts that need sorting
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Sorry for the necropost on this (and as far as I read in the rules it seemed cool). I recently stumbled upon this post and have been using it to help myself ad power steering to my '86.

The cooling line is attached to the return inlet on the reservoir. I'll post pics as soon as I get off my butt and finish it up.

Question though, did you have to have to press the pitman arm onto the part of the suspension part (sorry for my lack of technical term - I'm still new to the game) - the part that is treaded with the crown nut? I had one hell of a time trying to get it off at the Pick-N-Pull (wound up hack sawing it and busting up my hand in the process).

I'm going to wind up adding power steering for about $100 (I'm hoping this is on average with everyone else).

~Thanks all
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Barbarossa
Sorry for the necropost on this (and as far as I read in the rules it seemed cool). I recently stumbled upon this post and have been using it to help myself ad power steering to my '86.

The cooling line is attached to the return inlet on the reservoir. I'll post pics as soon as I get off my butt and finish it up.

Question though, did you have to have to press the pitman arm onto the part of the suspension part (sorry for my lack of technical term - I'm still new to the game) - the part that is treaded with the crown nut? I had one hell of a time trying to get it off at the Pick-N-Pull (wound up hack sawing it and busting up my hand in the process).

I'm going to wind up adding power steering for about $100 (I'm hoping this is on average with everyone else).

~Thanks all
The pitman arm isn't pressed on to the steering (yea even i dont know what you call that)... But the bolt or whatever u wanna call it is tapered which is why its so hard to get off.

Now... where the pitman arm attaches to the steering linkage the balljoint is PART of the pitman arm (it doesnt come out).. but the tapered end of it slides into a hole in the steering linkage and a nut holds it from coming off.. That shoudl come off with a pry bar or hammer...

For the pitman arm, you usually need a puller to get it off the steering box.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I also added power steering to my 85 4x4 with a 22r, i got everything i needed off an 89 two wheel drive truck at pic n pull. Everything was a bolt on and what a big improvement it made driving the truck. I did get lucky though, when i got my truck it already had the second pulley needed for the power steering pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Info. 22R or 22RE