Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Camo Painting

Old 11-30-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camo Painting

I have a 86 4Runner I'm building and want to paint it camo. How should I go about painting it. Post pics of camo 4Runner or pickups and different styles their to do. Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

THe key is breaking up the outlineof your car....pattern is not as important as breaking up the lines of the truck...unless of course you want to match a certain pattern (hunting - real tree) (army - woodland) (marine - digi camo) whichever.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 PM

Camo Paint

I'm not sure what you mean by breaking up the lines. What is the best looking camo and what is the eastest?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

This is the only pic I have found so far, its a 1999 Tacoma, but it looks airbrushed, which means very professional, and VERY exspensive.... let me keep looking. see if I can get some good examples for you.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:48 PM

That looks good but no much for me. This rig is going to be a trail truck so I dont want anything to expensive. Thanks Post some more pics when you can
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Okay after a little more looking around for you, this is what I got.

First Off, Classic Woodland Camo:

Next up is an example of realtree camo:

And then there is my least favorite Digi Camo: (This is the only decent example I could find)

okay, now for some trucks...

This is what I meant by breaking up lines, just change the siloutte of the truck, dont follow body lines or anything, this is desert camo, but same priciple appliesThis truck actually belongs to LOCKnGO her eon the boards.

Here is a pretty good Woodland look on Double Cab Taco

Here is Ryker's (1985 4Runner on the boards)Painted with Krylon from Wal Mart

Here is 91 4Runner's who may be on to the right idea, you may want to PM him to ask about those stencils....This is the base coat color that he painted the runner first.

Then he plans to stencil one of these three cmao patterns over it, again you may want to PM him to ask about the stencil, its a pretty slick idea...

There are many other ways to do it, and Im sure there are many tips and tricks, and probably even woodland camo stencils, or even painting kits out there for this kind of thing, I really don't know, but I hope this gives you some ideas....

~Chris
Old 11-30-2006, 01:52 PM
CH

Once the prep work is done - body work, remove all wax, sand old paint, etc.- it should be just a matter of applying a good automotive primer & start painting. Prep work is the key to a good paint job. There is a type of primer commonly referred to as "acid-etching" that can be very useful in painting an older vehicle where the surface is not perfect or there is the potential for rust that could not be eliminated.

As far as the pattern - don't make it symmetrical. The breakup of the vehicle outline is dependant upon the lack of an overall pattern. Some people who camo things themselves lay down a base (pick your color - OD green, brown, black, sand, etc) and then overlay the other colors on the base. You can even make cut outs of leaves branches, etc. from cardboard to assist instead of trying to free hand everything. One last thing - if you want to actually be able to hide it use a flat paint - do not use a clear coat or other layer that will make it shine. Things that shine are easily spotted.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 PM

I've used Wet Knole's Advantage Max-4 Real Tree HD vinel on a few truck. Very high quality stuff, looks great, cheaper than painting.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

lol, way toi be there swamp thing....and corvettelvr...there is always one other option....Kawasaki Green. lol.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:57 PM

I'm looking for something like that woodland thats on that Taco DC.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:00 PM

if its a trail rig, theres som good primer i used on an old jeep for camo at walmart....just be sure to sand the gloss, and lay down a good coat of primer first..good luck
Old 11-30-2006, 02:03 PM

The rig is all faded anyway but i'm still going to sand it. Do i have to sand it down to metal or just ruff up the paint.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

just ruff it up. I didnt see any woodland stencil kits looking around except for some that cost like $200, so forget that, I would just tape it off and go for it.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:23 PM

I heard that. I only payed 200 for the rig so i'm not scared about scerwing it up. HAHA
Old 11-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Home Depot sells rattle can camo paint. Not sure how it works, but it's supposed to come out of the can without getting all of the colors mixed. I bought some to paint a trailer I'm going to use for hauling my hunting gear around in, but I haven't had time to get it done. I'll post pics when I finally get around to it if it turns out o.k.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Follow along with this guy as he documents the best camo paint job I have ever seen.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...6&page=1&pp=30
Old 11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tiger Paw
Home Depot sells rattle can camo paint. Not sure how it works, but it's supposed to come out of the can without getting all of the colors mixed. I bought some to paint a trailer I'm going to use for hauling my hunting gear around in, but I haven't had time to get it done. I'll post pics when I finally get around to it if it turns out o.k.
That sounds a little sketchy...I'd like to see it when it's done.

Fink
Old 11-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
here's my buddys snow camo..
Old 11-30-2006, 04:54 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99% of the work is all prep and sanding, you can do a rattle can job and be fine, krylon sells camo paint thats very good stuff.

The entire point in making the pattern is (for woodland) start by painting everything black, then paint the entire truck olive drab green (or a similar green), 2-3 coats! With sanding in between since this is the base layer.

Then work out a pattern, look at military clothing and trucks to help, but the pattern is there isno real pattern-every truck is different. Basically you break up the outlines of the truck, everything rounded and square should get camo on it and it should look like you threw big blotches of paint on when you set it up.

Practice on a piece of wood first to get the fell of it.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:57 PM

http://tacomaterritory.com/forum/sho...highlight=camo

There you go...You could substitute any colors instead of what he chose, but I think this is the best write up on "how to". Next spring mine will follow a similar pattern but with desert camo! Cant wait!!!

Doug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camo Painting