Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

bigger aftermarket oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bigger aftermarket oil filter

if you dont want to use a toyota oil filter but you want one with extra capacity, use:

purolator: 20195
fram: 3600

the intended app is 92 ford tempo v6

its the same diameter, thread, etc as the toy one, but nearly twice the length. i would post a pic but my digicam broke.

its wierd, the aftermarket filter companies have the same filter for the 22re and the tundra V8 when they already make a bigger filter that fits :confused:
Old 08-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

The problem with running a larger filter is, the flow of oil at start-up takes a bit longer and that's where most of the engine wear occurs. The engine is designed for a specific volume filter and you should stay within those specifications. Just change your oil and filter on a regular schedule.....
Old 08-10-2004, 11:24 PM

i use the purolator pureone, which has an check valve, so it stays full of oil.

the TRD filters that toyota sells are just rebaged tundra filters and are used for a lot of engines
Old 08-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Banned

i just got an oversized napa gold filter.. it has a nice construction to it... the general part number is ford motorcraft fl400 and this will fit on a ton of the toyotas it is also the equivalent to frams and fram makes part numbers of X-3600... the napa gold part number is 1516
Old 11-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Banned

bumping this back up with a question for you bruce.... most wear does occur on startup... however you say it takes longer to fill the filter up with oil before it delivers oil... where is it delivering oil to? and also, a lot of filters have anti drainback valves... emaning even on startup they are still full of oil... is this not acceptable then or what? i currently have a ford motorcraft fl1a which is huge and the size of a fram ph8a.... it bolts on and it fits in there.....

what about the filter relocation kits that use larger filters? wouldnt that be super horrible then as it would have to travel through lines then into the filter then back?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
bumping this back up with a question for you bruce.... most wear does occur on startup... however you say it takes longer to fill the filter up with oil before it delivers oil... where is it delivering oil to? and also, a lot of filters have anti drainback valves... emaning even on startup they are still full of oil... is this not acceptable then or what? i currently have a ford motorcraft fl1a which is huge and the size of a fram ph8a.... it bolts on and it fits in there.....

what about the filter relocation kits that use larger filters? wouldnt that be super horrible then as it would have to travel through lines then into the filter then back?

i use an oversized filter on my truck, right now i have a mobil 1... i think its the 301, anyway it is the same size as a ph8a which is about 2 times bigger than the stocker. for me, the more filter area the better, and longer lasting. i would like to get a double filter relocation kit for xtra capacity and xtra filtration. i dont know if i buy that whole "engineered" for a small filter. maybe because of fuel injection and tighter clearances they can get away with running a tiny filter on a comparatively internallly cleaner running engine. compared to the good ol days of carbs and what not. i like clean oil and i will do what i need to do, even if it bypasses the whole stick with the oem size for life. engines were made to be made better than stock. just a thought
Old 11-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by BruceTS
The problem with running a larger filter is, the flow of oil at start-up takes a bit longer and that's where most of the engine wear occurs. The engine is designed for a specific volume filter and you should stay within those specifications. Just change your oil and filter on a regular schedule.....