Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

where to mount my amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to mount my amp

hello there,

I currently just have my amp laying beside my sub in the back, but im getting tired of worrying about it when i need to haul something, so i need a good place to mount it. I had it on the back seat but it didnt hold since its just cardboard.

so if anyone has any good ideas or pics that'd be great. Thanks!!

oh btw, its a 96 4runner
Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 AM

just mount it to your sub box, thats what i did.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Under the passenger seat
Old 06-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Under the driver's seat.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM

me and a buddy prepped his 64 impala for a car show that had (4) 15"s in the trunk and we wanted to make it real clean back there..
so we popped the subs out of the HUGE box he has, and we mounted them INSIDE the box. this also allows for ample power gains due to the amp only needing 6 inches of wire!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by eighty5yota
me and a buddy prepped his 64 impala for a car show that had (4) 15"s in the trunk and we wanted to make it real clean back there..
so we popped the subs out of the HUGE box he has, and we mounted them INSIDE the box. this also allows for ample power gains due to the amp only needing 6 inches of wire!
I have thought of doing this but wouldn't this damage the amp some way? Vibrations? I know cooling wouldn't be an issue if it was a ported box because of all the air its moving.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 AM

the box we did it on was a bandpass.. it was sealed and ported. but no there should be no issues.. as long as the amp is secured very well, youll have no problems. electricity doesnt get affected by vibrations. the only issue we had was the 12vHOT,neg and remote power wires needed there own ways to get in the box. we opted with two of the standard KICKER terminals with a +/- that we installed with a 3 inch hole-saw, since they dont make them in singles, one terminal will be neglected.( until we do the neon kit in the box and then well use that one) ran the power through one,the ground through the other and the remote wire through the third. marking them all very well so you dont switch polarity and fry everyting
Old 06-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Do you guys have pics of the amps mounted under the front seats? Seems like you'd be pretty limited in how big the amp could be. Do you still retain all controls and adjustments of the seat?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I zip-tied mine to the drive shaft. Makes a little noise but you get used to it.

Try this.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chop_suey
hello there,

I currently just have my amp laying beside my sub in the back, but im getting tired of worrying about it when i need to haul something, so i need a good place to mount it. I had it on the back seat but it didnt hold since its just cardboard.

so if anyone has any good ideas or pics that'd be great. Thanks!!

oh btw, its a 96 4runner
Love that pic of your puppy, very cute...

I was going to suggest fabing a bracket and mounting to the ceiling as an unusual location that could be good for show but it would be a headache to wire. Under front seat locations are a little limited in size more so if you have power seats.
Some installs have rebuilt the rear seat backs to a semi recessed amp design at the expense of some seat back plushness.
You could go for a behind the rear panel install that would be very stealthy and clean.

Originally Posted by eighty5yota
Originally Posted by elblako91
I have thought of doing this but wouldn't this damage the amp some way? Vibrations? I know cooling wouldn't be an issue if it was a ported box because of all the air its moving.
The vibrations could be an issue shaking the electronic components causing solders to fail and possibly breaking leads on caps and so forth particularly with cheaper low end amps.

Originally Posted by toylocost
I zip-tied mine to the drive shaft. Makes a little noise but you get used to it.

Try this.
Zip tied to the shaft? I don't care who you are, that's funny right there... I'm guessin' it was covered with moles too right?
Old 06-14-2009, 01:43 PM

Im not sure what size your amp is, but I mounted mine under the rear passenger side seat!

Old 06-14-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be worried about that overheating^^^
Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fireball
Do you guys have pics of the amps mounted under the front seats? Seems like you'd be pretty limited in how big the amp could be. Do you still retain all controls and adjustments of the seat?
No longer running an amp, but here was my old one...

Old 06-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, you can fit a decent sized amp under driver's seat. It's where mine will be going...

Old 06-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Nope, no problems with overheating.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:29 AM

What is your over all goal here. Functionality or appearance, both??. Also consider your budget. Am amp installed under the rear seat with no air is never recommended. Under the front seats is always good, but can be difficult to adjust the settings. A slim profile amp should not be an issue for power seats.

My buddy attached his amp to his box, but had a metal screen fabricated to fit over it. looked good, was cheap and functional.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 AM

mine is mounted underneath the drivers seat too
Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yep mines under the drivers seat makes it easier when u need to remove the box to haul stuff
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fireball
I have my 6 channel Phoenix Gold under the passenger seat and it is 15 1/4 long x 11 1/4 wide and have full access to the controls from the rear of the seat

I added two fans to keep the heat down one push's and one pull's so their is air moving over it all the time and I can run it as long as I want at any volume without issue , before the fans it would over hear after about 30 min's at 3/4 volume

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-11-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:42 AM

Rock slide and Rocket, any issues with the operation of your seats with those amps mounted under there?

If you know the height, could you please post that to help those of us who are going to be amp shopping in the future? Or just post the exact model and I can look it up.

I was considering this Kenwood unit to run the front components and a single 10" sub.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XR4S...elon+amp&ssi=0

Quick Reply: where to mount my amp