Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

sub box ideals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sub box ideals?

What are your thoughts on this set-up.
I am getting 2-10” Orion XTR which are DVC (250w-rms/500w-max). (This is happening in a week, when I travel to Upstate NY) I am going to build my own boxes.

So for my box design I was thinking about building a box for one sub that is sealed and the other box as ported. The sealed box will also contain an Amp rack/mount. The boxes are going too built in stages; weather, money and/or time permitted.
First, the box I am going to build is the sealed on since it easier and my amp is only a 100x2 @ 2 ohms. Then over the summer build the ported box and save up some money to buy a 250x2 @ 2 ohms amp.

The box that I am going to base my boxes are off of this guy’s: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/547775/3
Old 12-14-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
honestly since you are buying 2 subs and have limited power, I would port both right now in the largest suggested size yet lowest tuning. This will give you the most output for your limited power.

Then when you step up in power, build a new ported box for both subs that is at the bottom of the recommended range for ported. With around a 30-33hz tuning...
Old 12-14-2004, 03:45 PM

I went to my local audio shop and talked them. I mentioned to him how I was going to build my boxes (one sealed and one ported). And I was mainly talking to him about being about to power the subs and here is what he said he would do:
Build the two boxes; sealed and ported, then buy two mono (class D) amps. He said that having a stereo amp (2 ch) will not sound as good with the left to right sounds, running mono would be better. Having one amp dedicated to a seal box and another for the ported would give you better sound then a 2 channel amp. He also said that with 2 separate amps and I'll be able to level the volumes. He showed me the Rockford Fosgate Punch 3001 and suggested that I use two of them.

So I think I now have a better plan and know what I am doing. What do you think about the new set-up?
Old 12-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

I dont understand building 2 boxes at all. If the vented enclosure is built right you would only need a single dual vented box for the subs.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:26 PM

I am building two boxes becuase, I don't want a box in the center behind the rear seats. I don't think there is enough space for a box with two subs on one side. So thats why I am building 2 boxes.
Each box will have a sub.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:09 PM

It's generally not a good idea to mix stuff up between multiple subs, as in one sealed and one ported. If you must them seperated, I'd try to do both sealed, or both ported. Basically you want them splitting the chore of making low end, each doing the EXACT same thing. It's like when people decide they are going to run 1 15 and two 10s..... they aren't matched and it ends up sounding like complete butt in the end. My $.02.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe I've talked to you on AIM. I concur either run them both sealed or both ported otherwise you will have limited output and poor sound quality as a result of destructive interfierence. I can prove it too....

As far as mono sounding better than 2 channels on 2 subs that's bull˟˟˟˟. He's just trying to sell you on that amp he has in stock. If you want power and a mono block I can get you a mtx 8001 for 379.99 that's an open box here at the sarasota circuit city....
Old 01-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned

ported boxes are better than sealed. The help to reduce static and help your sub reach its maximum potential and produce clearer, hard-hitting bass which I can prove. My friend and I both had the same set up, 2 15 inch subs (different brands)putting out the same power and we both had the same amp. I had a custom-made ported box and he had a sealed box. He played his cd in his car, then took it out and played it in mine. My set up was niticeably louder than his and had far less static
Old 01-14-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by red86
ported boxes are better than sealed
That's like saying Coke is better than Mountain Dew. Yes they're both carbonated beverages (box styles) but they do completely different things for the end user.

It's all dependant upon so many variables, including but not limited to:

available power (amps), equalization, crossovers, dampening of vehicle, quality of box construction, size of car/acoustics of car, and on and on.

What sounded 'louder' in your car ported could sound like a hamster beatboxing in mine.

Not trying to be a jerk...just don't want to perpetuate the misunderstanding that one box style is 'better' than another.

Besides, it's about listening preference after all. The best advice is to always try one and if you have the desire/time/curiosity build another and compare.

Last edited by phoenix808; 01-14-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:57 AM

I built a single ported box. I am not liking it... the box does have the LOW LONG BASS drives, but doesn't have any quick punchy bass to it. Ported boxes sounds alot better with Rap music, i put my friends rap cd in and the box sounds good.
I listen to Heavy Metal and bass sounds really weird with the ported box, especially with bands that have a Double Bass drum or a really quick bass player. The snappy bass seem like they are lasting forever.

I am going to rebuild the box over spring break with a sealed box.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Im working on a fiberglass sealed enclosure similar to the one from Q-logic http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RUSrLqg...50&I=044CT4R63 . I should have it finished next week.I'll post some pics. This enclosure should give a tight low bass with out taking up too much space, or it will sound like crap and I'll be forced to use mdf and create a false floor box.

I'll probaly get a PG Titanium 600x2 for the sub or just a nice rockford fosgate 350x1.
And phoenix808, you couldn't be more right but coke is better.

Last edited by YodaRunner; 01-14-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by YodaRunner
Im working on a fiberglass sealed enclosure similar to the one from Q-logic http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RUSrLqg...50&I=044CT4R63 . I should have it finished next week.I'll post some pics. This enclosure should give a tight low bass with out taking up too much space, or it will sound like crap and I'll be forced to use mdf and create a false floor box.

I'll probaly get a PG Titanium 600x2 for the sub or just a nice rockford fosgate 350x1.
And phoenix808, you couldn't be more right but coke is better.
Hey let me know how it goes! Im here in WA and Im looking to replace my storagebox/sub box to gain more room.. I have 2 10" subs... I'd like to see how your setup sounds sometime mebbie if you get it all checked out you and I could meet up...
Old 01-15-2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Hey let me know how it goes! Im here in WA and Im looking to replace my storagebox/sub box to gain more room.. I have 2 10" subs... I'd like to see how your setup sounds sometime mebbie if you get it all checked out you and I could meet up...
I'll post pics when and if I finish. It might take longer than I thought. Making the mold was easy but turns out I suck as fiberglassing. if it turns out ok I'll let you check it out. I will email you when its done.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

i guess it all depends on wat kind of music you listen to.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:14 PM

Throw both 10"s in a bandpass enclosure (common ported and sealed) and benefit from both worlds. Also, in the end all you will have is a box with one hole in it.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by wvuviv30
I went to my local audio shop and talked them. I mentioned to him how I was going to build my boxes (one sealed and one ported). And I was mainly talking to him about being about to power the subs and here is what he said he would do:
Build the two boxes; sealed and ported, then buy two mono (class D) amps. He said that having a stereo amp (2 ch) will not sound as good with the left to right sounds, running mono would be better. Having one amp dedicated to a seal box and another for the ported would give you better sound then a 2 channel amp. He also said that with 2 separate amps and I'll be able to level the volumes. He showed me the Rockford Fosgate Punch 3001 and suggested that I use two of them.

So I think I now have a better plan and know what I am doing. What do you think about the new set-up?
why are you mixing two boxes? a properly built box, ported and tuned correctly will yield the best results with the amount of power you have.

also about the 2 amp idea thats straight up BS. When you have a pair of gains, being able to set the gain consistantly will be a problem. Now unless you have an oscilloscope, i wouldn't run the risk of having one sub with more power than the other, even if the differences was slight.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:49 PM
jw

yeah dude, that guy was just trying to sell you some amps. one amp can power both of those subs. what ohms are the subs? 2 channel amps bridged mono actually sound a little better than class-D amps. class-d amps are more efficient, put less strain on your alternator, but you sacrafice some sound quality, not much. not sure how much your'e looking to spend, but hifonics makes pretty good amps for their price range: http://sonicelectronix.com/item_365.html#
actually, the orion xtr 5002 would be perfect for those subs. i just saw one on ebay end at $100. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
the XTRs are killer amps. also, i would use that amp that you have now for your front speakers.

definitely build the boxes the same. sealed will give you punchier bass, typically more suited for those after sound quality. ported will be louder, somewhat boomier, but can still have great SQ if tuned properly.

hope it helps.