Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

match a sub to these specs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:41 AM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
single 12'' Image Dynamics IDQ in a ported box. image dynamics
Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the image dynamics look pretty nice. so do the kappas. about what price range are they in? the further under the 200 limit the more chance i have at picking up some serious wires to replace my o so lovely walmart wires. lol.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I run a complete PHOENIX GOLD SYSTEM in my 4runner and have nothing but good to say about them but outside of the westcoast they for some reason are not known. I moved out here to Maryland but lived not far from there plant in Portland thats how I have known about them for 10 years. I would highily recommend them to him but if your not west coast most peole have no clue about them and I seen JL Auido 10's on sale at Best buy or Circut city for like 150 a 10" and thats within his budget.

Ya...it seems that whoever has the biggest advertising budget is the best nowadays. That is one thing PG never really did too well. So what is your setup? (amps,speakers) I have all RSD speakers but will run all old school amps and eq/crossovers. Just have to pick through my pile in the basement and get it installed.

You could get the RSD 10 or 12 off Ebay for about $70 brand new. You wont regret it.

Jason
Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quick question, why should sony never be an option? my dad runs all sony and hes got one of the best systems in san diego. i prefer alpine over sony, yes, but sonys arent too bad.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
quick question, why should sony never be an option? my dad runs all sony and hes got one of the best systems in san diego. i prefer alpine over sony, yes, but sonys arent too bad.
That's an extremely bold statement. Mind telling us what your dad is running?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:21 AM

dunno the exact specs, but hes got a 800 dollar sony xplode stereo, 2 amps, and 2 15s all sony. it sounds better than almost anything ive heard in san diego. (the 800 dollar stereo coming from him, i have no idea if its actually 800 bucks but it sounds awesome)
Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
dunno the exact specs, but hes got a 800 dollar sony xplode stereo, 2 amps, and 2 15s all sony. it sounds better than almost anything ive heard in san diego. (the 800 dollar stereo coming from him, i have no idea if its actually 800 bucks but it sounds awesome)
Is his CD player a mulitmedia unit?
I'm by no means trying to be a pompous jerk with my previous comment. However, southern California is certainly the "tuner" capital of America and I know there are cars in San Diego with some seriously outrageous audio in them.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:31 PM

lol. if new york is any show of how big city audio works thats a bold statement indeed. however, i still dont like sony. they sound too much like the plastic they are. now im sure if i spent a couple thousand dollars i could have an alright sony system. however, on budget, i just dont like them. plastic and the dont play clean.

how experianced are you with the audio scene? cause just saying its the best you have ever heard isnt always saying much. i think the system in my truck is one of the cleanest ive ever heard. however, ive personally never been to a competition. id love to be able to hear some system that could totally blow mine out of the water, but as of yet, mines the best ive ever heard in florida. lol.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:37 PM

I am a huge fan of elemental design subs. www.edesignaudio.com affordable and hit hard and deep
Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Honestly man, i would go with an infinity sub. decent magnet size too.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:55 PM

rly im just lookin to upgrade from a p2 10" to something with more umphf. i need to find somewhere to go listen to some of these subs so i can make a better decision. lol. that and sell my old one so i can buy a new one.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dijlop
my view on alpines are pretty low. they might get loud, but its too bassy and doesnt have any feel for me. i just dont like how they sound.
Thats a shame. Theres a huge sound difference between the different series. Have you heard a Type-R Alpine? Its the only alpine sub i'd recemmend. They have a good balance of sounding clean and crisp while still pumping bass. Many people rate them better sounding than a Type-S or Type-X.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
Thats a shame. Theres a huge sound difference between the different series. Have you heard a Type-R Alpine? Its the only alpine sub i'd recemmend. They have a good balance of sounding clean and crisp while still pumping bass. Many people rate them better sounding than a Type-S or Type-X.
i know someone thats got 2 alpine r 12's. just dont like em. they dont sound near as nice as my 10 inch punch.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 PM

infinity and JBL are the same company some of there speakers are the same i don't know about subs tho. my next question is do you know any one that works at UPS b/c if you do you can get infinity and JBL cheap right now it looks like UPS employees get $50 off any of the infinity and JBL 12" subs
Old 10-07-2007, 07:01 PM

what i meant was it was one of the best ive heard.. oops. id much rather have an alpine or JBL or fosgate. frankly i dont care about how loud it is. i just want to be able to hear it, ya know? i know i could make my truck go BUMP BUMP quite easily, but why? i know a bit about sound systems, im just not a tech. i can install and wire speakers and stereos, and ive done an amp once. thats about it.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Contributing Member

i know someone thats got 2 alpine r 12's. just dont like em. they dont sound near as nice as my 10 inch punch.
Perhaps it's the amp's that make the diff. I've no complaints with my type-R. To each his own.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by yabedude
Perhaps it's the amp's that make the diff. I've no complaints with my type-R. To each his own.
certainly. if u like it good for u. it can get loud, but blah. i dont like the quality of them. just my taste. as far as the amp, hes runnin them off of an infinity amp. not sure about the exact specs, but its a really nice amp. hes blows his subs bout every 3 months tho. hes pretty much a loser. didnt do any of his install himself, doesnt know a power wire from speaker wire. sigh. idiot rich kids. he just got the r's cause they were the most expensive he saw. not even kidding.

as far as an update on sub choice, im still not at a conclusion cause i still havent been able to go out and listen to anything, but im thinkin along the lines of listening to some infinty subs, some jbl subs, possibly something from polk, and some more punch subs. im still kinda wanting to build my own box, but im deff going to need some info and help on that one. lol. the whole tuning a box makes no sense to me whatsoever. we shall see what the future holds.

keep the suggestions coming. i love it. lol
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 PM

alright guys. since the audio section is so droll, im gonna start throwin out random challenges and such. see if we cant jack up this section.

alpine mono amp, 450 watts rms. its going to be playing with 5x7 polk componets in front and 5x7 polks in back. head unit is a high class alpine, not completely sure of the type. im going to be listening to a lot of techno, bass music, rap, and rock, but i want a solid all around sub. something with serious bass, but something that can play clean with the speakers too.

any takers?
Hey man i ran two 10" JL W0 subs with the same amp but onl 350 watts. Sounded great
Old 10-23-2007, 05:00 AM

Profile AP1200 amp from Crutchfield. Clear & Powerful. 200 watts RMS X 2.
Only $170, but out of stock right now.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...9AP1200&tp=115

Pyle PL1090BL and build your own box. I have a set of Pyle Pro 1080w4 and they have an 80 oz. magnet 2.5" or 3" VC. Very tough, very hard hitting and very accurate.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail....model=PL1090BL

Buy Pyle here ==> http://www.qualitycaraudio.com/store...dproduct=17901

You can buy your Pyles for $80 and then pick up a 4'X8' sheet of MFD board for $20 and have an excellent subwoofer system for $100 that would other wise cost you four times as much for the quality of the sound and bass. You have to put a nice amp with it though. A crappy amp will make even a Velodyne sound like a turd. I am running the Profile AP1080 for the 4 full range speakers and the Profile AP1200 for the two 10" subs. It is very clear and shakes the car. You can see the amps and where I put them in my thread.

Osiris

Last edited by OSIRIS; 10-23-2007 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Heres a sick find for you guys...
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3415

Quick Reply: match a sub to these specs.