Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

JBL Audio Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBL Audio Overhaul

'03 4Runner Limited with JBL 10 Speaker System-

As I tend to go overboard with everything, I am looking to gut all existing audio. I plan on using a Kenwood DD DVD/GPS unit (w/ surround sound), 6.5 components for the front and 6.5 2-ways for the read doors (Polk Audio front and back). That part is easy. The mod will be a custom fiberglass unit that will replace the lower passenger rear cabin molding to accommodate amps, capacitor and a 12" JL W6 sub (bumping out existing sub area for larger speaker).

Just not sure what to do in regards to the front speaker and the 2 rear pillar speakers. Crutchfield does not list the front dash speaker and notes there is no replacement for the real pillars.

Does anyone know what size and replacements I can use?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:43 AM

I was thinking about going with components in the rear doors, and just mount the tweeters in the pillars.. But that does not help the replacement of the single dash speaker..

Just trying to maximize on the surround sound technology and the available speaker points..
Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

I looked up the parts on www.toyodiy.com and the rear pillars appear to be stand alone tweets just like you're planning to replace with.
The two dash speakers appear to be standard toyota 4"ers, if you are refering to the centre dash speaker it's the same part # as the other two dash speakers so it would be a standard 4" as well.
The after market designation is a 4T which has slightly larger mouting tab then a standard 4" [and is only made by a few mfgs.] but you can use a standard 4" with no trouble provided you trim a couple of the tabs with tin snips and use washers on the two remaining.
Hope this helps...
Old 06-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jamanred
I was thinking about going with components in the rear doors, and just mount the tweeters in the pillars.. But that does not help the replacement of the single dash speaker..

Just trying to maximize on the surround sound technology and the available speaker points..
That could work if you are on a tight budget but the sound colour would be way off for the rear seat pax... the tweets are in the rear to balance the sub and provide some directionality in the rear channel.
IMO you'd be happier with a coaxial rear door and some stand alone tweets in the pillars albeit at a slightly higher cost... this would probably be the simplest install...
don't forget to dynamat or bquiet the doors at least or you won't get half as good a sound...
Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 AM

Awesome. Thanks. I never though of stand alone tweeters in the rear.. The cost of coaxial w/ additional tweeter set and a set of components is close.

What are your thoughts on amplifiers? The dash only has room for one speaker. I doubt I could go with a 4 channel, bridge 2 so I am only running 3 (dash and rear pillars). That would require a 2 ohm 4T. I could keep the gain down so I don't burn it up, but are there 2 ohm 4T speakers out there that you have seen?

I'm planning on 90watts/channel x4 and 1000 x1 on the sub.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Only 2ohms I've ever heard of are subs...
There should be 3 speakers in the dash the middle one and the two down by your knees in the standard position. If your HU allows for a centre channel why not run it direct of it and skip the amp on that channel? just use a bass blocker...sure you might loose a little power but I don't think it would be that noticeable... there are 5-channel amps avail. that might be an option as well...
You should get in touch with member NYChopshop he is a professional audio engineer and is building a kick butt set up in his runner he knows his stuff and can give you much better advice...
Texas91Runner is another member you might want to talk to.

Last edited by aviator; 07-01-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Just an update. I swapped out the door and pillar speakers for now using 6.5 components. What I found in wiring is that the rear pillars and dash center speakers are on the same pair coming out of the JBL amplifier. Also, the rear door speakers are 2 ohm speakers.

So, I terminated the JBL feeds to the pillars and installed the tweeters there from the rear components. The rear door speakers volume is much lower than the front. Had to fade the head unit in favor of the rear as a band aid.

Over all sound now is a punchier heavier bass from the sub (didn't expect that). But I am sure the stock sub won't hold out for any extended period.

Basically, unless you plan on gutting the whole system, one should let it be. Front door speakers can be easily replaced along with the sub from crutchfield. But not the read doors..