Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Hiding wires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiding wires?

1996 tacoma extra cab.

Wiring for the amp is running under the plastic piece by the door. The plastic piece doesn't sit right so it's always falling off. Any other ideas for where to run the wires?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 AM

push the wires further up under the carpet, instead of in the channel where the plate sits. there should be a spot where the factory wires are running, follow those wires.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

What gauge of wires are you feeding the amp with? are you trying to run the speaker wires along the same route? are you using shielded wires? how many channel amp are you running? what is it going to be hooked up to?

If you are feeding the amp with 12-10AWG you should be able to sneak along the same wire channel as the factory loom but if you are using 8AWG then you will have to rub it separately I would go along the tranny hump under the carpet/console protect it from chaffing with some heavy tape for the few inches between the console and the seat box and all will be well. I would run the speaker wires along a different route if you can to protect them from induced emf interference to maximize your sound quality. You can run the speaker wires along the same central route but keep them a few inches away from the power wires for the previously mentioned reason.

4ch amp you won't be able to run all the wires along the same route [unless you go the central route] there just isin't enough room all the speaker wire in one place.
2ch front amp may be able to run all speaker wires under door plate but will be tight and no room for power feed. I'd run the feed down the door sill and the signal/speaker wires under the console.
2ch rear amp should be able to get power and signal wires under door plate.
1ch bass amp - no worries

Remember wires that feed a motor ie fan/wiper may induce emf "noise" on speaker wires which you may hear as a buzz or humm so they need to be kept away from these if possible. If you need to run the wires under the carpet run them side by side flat not in one bunch to keep the installation stealthy. You can add some protection by creating a shallow valley along the central hump with some neoprene door seal tape on either side of the run. if you can tape the wires flat to the side of the hump they will be more protected from being stepped on by pax. or crushed by cargo.

Audiophile note: for maximum sound quality all speaker wires should be of equal length... ie front right/left equal and rear right/left equal this usually means in an auto install that one side has some extra wire loomed up some how along the route to the speaker. This equalizes the resistance of the wires and insures all signals arrive at both sides on time at full strength not delayed or weakened by resistance. Just don't coil up the extra wire this will induce emf for sure and lead to {you guessed it} noise. [best way is to just double the long side back on itself]
sorry for the long post hope this helps.

Last edited by aviator; 09-26-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:02 PM

I am running all the wires going to the amp (Xplode 1000 watt unfortunatly) right next to eachother. Im thinkin I want to run all of the wiring under the carpet now, not under the door plate. What would I have to remove to go under the carpet (Driver side)?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnToy
I am running all the wires going to the amp (Xplode 1000 watt unfortunatly) right next to eachother. Im thinkin I want to run all of the wiring under the carpet now, not under the door plate. What would I have to remove to go under the carpet (Driver side)?
Just any panels restricting it. Any other places, pull lightly on the carpet and it should come right up. :-)
Old 09-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Will do! Thanks!