Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Box direction/sound dynamics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Box direction/sound dynamics.

I am curious if some could offer their thoughts on the sound dynamics of facing a sealed box in various directions in a vehicle. The main of course is facing forward, or, facing away (from the front of the vehicle). The backward direction from my understanding causes the sound to bounce off the back (tail) gate and into the rest of the cab. I was thinking of building a box for my brother (I think I could figure this out - doesn't look hard - just gotta get the right cuts and seat it properly). I'd have 2 JL Audio 6W0's facing forward and amplify them to produce the mid bass, and then have a single 12 (not sure what brand - he has an audiobahn though so probably that) facing backwards for the boom/pound/thump bass. Thoughts on this type of config? Has anyone ever tried building a box to this effect but with 2 12's (IE one facing forward, one backwards?). Note I know to keep each sub seperate in it's own individual box/space. How about direction with respect to not phasing subs out?

Last edited by CoedNaked; 07-11-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should ask this at sounddomain http://forum.sounddomain.com/ ... I'm sure you will get some really good answers there.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Banned

as i remeber it bass is non directional... emaning it doesnt matter where its coming from....
Old 07-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

But it would seem that if you had one forward and one back the sound would have a small (very small) delay as one must travel to the back then to the front.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:59 AM

As a generally accepted rule, firing a sub backwards increases the distance the sound wave has to travel. All subs have an inherent sound wave length that is nearly impossible to duplicate in-car, unless you drive a bus. Firing a 10 or 12" sub forward will yield tighter, punchier bass, where as firing it backwards will get you more low end response, ie lower bass...
Old 07-12-2004, 02:59 PM

You also have a chance to create standing waves (cancellation) or the opposite, which is a boosting effect at certain frequencies. Thats why firing subs at the hatchback glass was so popular.

Ive seen sume trucks that fire the subs at the back wall, but that ends up giving almost a bandpass effect.

Try it in the different positions and see which is easiest to EQ to an ear pleasing curve.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:58 PM

Hey coed,
first of all what kind of vehichle is this system going into? and what kind of music does your brother listen to the most?, if more rock or punchy music like that and he wants to really feel the bass then go for sealed...if he wants the best all aroung low bass but still punchy but not as much feeling then go for a slot ported box...slot port is my favorite...
Also do NOT make sone sub face the front and one back...it will cancel eachother out and you will sound horrible,
For direstion, face the subs straight up and if you want the ports facing the front at the bottom of the box...this will give you more feel the the bass,
well keep us posted
cody
Old 07-12-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the thoughts fellas - my brother currenty has a 92' Toyota Corolla but he is looking at 'runners right now. I was just worried about cancellation (not entirely knowledgeable about how this works - why I had to ask). I also dream up things and was just curious what some of you thought - thanks for your responses and any more you have to offer.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the LOUDEST and typically best sounding setup you will want to fire up and port back. (Remember a loud box will only have the subs partially moving therefore inducing less BL compression)

If you run sealed just fire backwards.

I have extensive box building experience with my 2nd gen....