The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Rustproofing idea: airtight frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Waxoyl is in my list of rustproofing chemicals, of the variety that need touching up:

motor oil, chainsaw oil (same idea, but has paraffin that helps it stick), cosmoline, vaseline, various eastwood products (HD anti-rust, apparently a wax; internal frame spray), waxoyl, boiled linseed oil, corrosionx, fluid film, penetrol, fish oil, beeswax, dinitrol (dinol), bilt hamber, various michael sander products (grease, not wax)...

If I'm going to use something that needs maintenance, I'd rather it be free: used motor oil.

At this time, I got inspired by seeing some actual prices on hot-dipping & galvanizing the frame (on the order of $200-500), and I'm going to make some phonecalls to find out for sure. I also got a lot of Ben Moore Industrial Epoxy for free. If the stars align, I think I'm going to have the frame galvanized, then paint the outside with the epoxy, and pour oil into the inside.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by moroza
Thanks for the suggestion. Waxoyl is in my list of rustproofing chemicals, of the variety that need touching up:

motor oil, chainsaw oil (same idea, but has paraffin that helps it stick), cosmoline, vaseline, various eastwood products (HD anti-rust, apparently a wax; internal frame spray), waxoyl, boiled linseed oil, corrosionx, fluid film, penetrol, fish oil, beeswax, dinitrol (dinol), bilt hamber, various michael sander products (grease, not wax)...

If I'm going to use something that needs maintenance, I'd rather it be free: used motor oil.

At this time, I got inspired by seeing some actual prices on hot-dipping & galvanizing the frame (on the order of $200-500), and I'm going to make some phonecalls to find out for sure. I also got a lot of Ben Moore Industrial Epoxy for free. If the stars align, I think I'm going to have the frame galvanized, then paint the outside with the epoxy, and pour oil into the inside.
Galvanizing would be good if you can prep it right and get it done for cheap enough.

I'd just use Eastwood's internal frame coating or similar and then if you are worried just spray used motor oil in there every year with a hand pump weed-kill sprayer.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:37 AM

I don't want to use Eastwood's spray until I've seen some 5, 10-year longevity reports. If that stuff starts cracking and holding moisture after a few years, it'll be worse than nothing.

$850 to galvanize, around here. I'm thinking about it.