The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

My Camping Trailer Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed! Good looking project. I have been considering the idea for a couple of years for the same reasons
Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, this is freaking sick so far! Can't wait to see this bad boy when it's done.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:45 PM

Done yet?? Let's go test it out on Blanca!! Nice little trailer J!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 PM

How long are you gonna make us wait for pictures of more progress?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 PM

Man this thread is total suspense! I keep seeing a new post added and hope to see some new pics!

love the build keep up the awesome work!

Chris
Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by LifterCatcher
Man this thread is total suspense! I keep seeing a new post added and hope to see some new pics!

love the build keep up the awesome work!

Chris

x2
this is sweet
Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Jeremiah, do you have any interest is spending Thanksgiving in Moab? We are going this year. We camp at a very out of the way campground about 30mi south of area BFE. I'm taking the whole family, but figured I would ask since Aaron mentioned you might be interested.

This place has Epic views from camp and has primitive bathrooms at least. It will be cold at night, but daytime temps should still be near 60*. Just figured I would ask.

We are leaving Tuesday afternoon when the wife and kids get out of school. Coming home Saturday morning.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Sorry guys, my computer has been down for a couple weeks and I have not had access to the internet.

Thanks for all the compliments! There has not been a whole lot progress but I got a few little things done, and it should be rolling after this weekend.

The stock tires in the first pictures were so dry rotted they would not hold any air. So I searched through our junk tire pile and found some wore out 15" tires that would hold air, some big old 205's . These will be used to roll the trailer around until i get the real tires and wheels later down the road.

I also got the gas tank skid plate sanded and painted.

Today I went to Ft. Collins and picked up the springs, they are the 4" Superlift springs that used to be on the truck. I gave them to a friend years ago and he never used them.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Volcom
Done yet?? Let's go test it out on Blanca!! Nice little trailer J!
Nope, not yet! I'd love to take it to Blanca next season! When can you go wheeling next?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Jeremiah, do you have any interest is spending Thanksgiving in Moab? We are going this year. We camp at a very out of the way campground about 30mi south of area BFE. I'm taking the whole family, but figured I would ask since Aaron mentioned you might be interested.

This place has Epic views from camp and has primitive bathrooms at least. It will be cold at night, but daytime temps should still be near 60*. Just figured I would ask.

We are leaving Tuesday afternoon when the wife and kids get out of school. Coming home Saturday morning.
Thanks for the invite, but I don't think I'll be able to make it. Thanksgiving is when things start to get crazy around work and I don't think I could get the time off. If something changes I'll let you know!

Your camping spot sounds awesome, do you have any plans to head out there this Spring? I need to get to Moab bad, but it looks like that won't happen until Spring.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 PM

Totally awesome build. The girlfriend saw the paint of what it should look like. My old reg. cab is rotting away in my pasture. Wanna build it into one for me?

But seriously, can't believe the detail and thought your putting into this! Abosolutely awesome...
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 250000_yota
Totally awesome build. The girlfriend saw the paint of what it should look like. My old reg. cab is rotting away in my pasture. Wanna build it into one for me?

But seriously, can't believe the detail and thought your putting into this! Abosolutely awesome...
I think I have enough of a project myself, thanks though! The challenging part is not spending a lot of money and using stuff that is cheap or free, it makes you think outside the box.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Finally some progress!

First I had to get it in the shop, I think I should leave it like this

Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM

First I picked up the springs that used to be on the truck. I gave them to a friend years ago and he never used them. They are 4" Superlift springs, and were stiff as hell back in the day, so I needed to pull a leaf or two to soften them up for the light trailer. The springs only have three leaves, plus the overload. I removed the overload and the middle spring from the pack.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 PM

Before I installed the leaf springs I added a little bracing to the stock spring hangers.

I got some 5" TG Shackles and installed the leaf springs.

The U-bolt plates that came with the U-bolts were too narrow for the larger truck leaf springs, so I had to make some new ones (I'm waiting to trim the U-bolts until I know the spring pack will work right).

Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 AM

man, i love it! are you gonna do an external tube cage?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:18 AM

Looking good. Your attention to detail and thought process are inspiring.

Your pictures show the details well. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by clydehatchet
man, i love it! are you gonna do an external tube cage?
Thanks! Most of the sheet metal/skin will be inside the frame work to protect it as much as possible and the fenders (which should see the most contact) will be made out of tubing. I have also been thinking about having removable sections to protect the tent from branches or the possible roll over.

Originally Posted by phildelfino
Looking good. Your attention to detail and thought process are inspiring.

Your pictures show the details well. Thanks.
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM

I officially have a trailer, it rolls and can be towed!

With the suspension figured out (for the most part), I started planning out the tongue length and configuration.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 PM

I knew the tongue needed to be cut down, so I wheeled the trailer outside and started taking some measurements. I had to be able to jackknife the trailer without it damaging the truck or itself, but I also didn't want it too long and to get caught on water bars, etc.

I wanted to be able to switch between a normal coupler and an off-road coupler, (I also wanted some extra theft protection) so I added a reciever to the tongue.

Quick Reply: My Camping Trailer Project