The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Look what I've bought- 89 hilux axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look what I've bought- 89 hilux axle

Hello,

I always dreamed to post something like that here but... Today is the day!

This axle is from a 89 Hilux, they're quite unusual in Spain because they weren't sold here but in the Canary Islands.

I've got it for 200$, I think it's the best price possible considering that I've only seen three double live-axle Hiluxes in Spain in my life...

It has 4.56 gears, perfect for me because now I've 4.10's and 31's, it's the same as 4.56's with 33's. Note that I've a turbo diesel! 4.56's with a 3.0TD is like 4.88 with a V6.

The axle will be getting dirt in my garage till I earn enought money to put under my truck, but now I can be sure that it will happen

Also note that this is a very difficult thing in Spain, because I'll have to pay another time the engineer to certificate my truck is safe, doing brake tests and so, but I'll do.

While I earn money I have plenty of time to think if I go leafs or coils... Leafs would be easier, just buying a SAS kit from the US and weld, but the shipping costs must be killer... So I think I'll take the coil (Non coilover) route, as my girlfriend's dad can give me DOM tubing for free (He's quality inspector in a huge tube company) and I can order custom coils to a Spanish brand.

David
Old 12-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Those hubs sure would look nice if you got em' PC'd!!! Like new! Now who do we know that could do that around here???
Old 12-14-2006, 01:29 PM

Haven't I said that I work for a powder coatings company?

I've only to choose the RAL color I want hehehe

Anyways is the less important thing!

David

PS: I love the new Taco, we don't have them in Spain
Old 12-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Blizzard
PS: I love the new Taco, we don't have them in Spain
Thanks! I love my beauty!!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:45 PM

Yes, Blizzard! I love your projects and your truck!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 PM

Oooh, this dude is jealous...
Old 12-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

Did you buy the rear 4.56 too, or are you going to swap in new gears later?

I suggest looking into coilover's for your suspension if you plan on doing a link set up, as they are much nicer. Also, be sure and research link geometry a ton before building it. It's tricky, and takes exact-length parts to make it work well.

I think it is really cool that you guys have to get stuff spec'd in spain to get the truck back on the road. Wish we had that here, considering some of the crap pile fabrication i see on a daily basis here in the states.

Good luck and congrats again on the purchase
Old 12-15-2006, 12:33 AM

I'll swap the rear gears to 4,56's to match the front and compensate the 33's I plan to put.

I've been doing numbers and I think that with the SAS + 33's my truck won't be over the 2 meters height. It's perfect because it's my DD and the most average garages in Barcelona are 2.10m.

Do you think is cool the inspections? I don't think so... I payed for legalizing this:

- Snorkel
- Custom front bumper
- Winch
- OME Shocks F
- Rancho Shocks R
- OME 901 coils
- Rocksliders
- 31's

Now I cannot put 33's because they aren't in my tech sheet, I have to pay another time an engineer to certificate this is safe, a lab must put a stamp... And then the inspections are a farce because sometimes you've the engineer and lab papers and they say no and no and no because the inspector doesn't like your face... Also there are inspections that pass things that need to be legalized and others don't... Very different criteries between ones and others...

I don't know yet how much would be my new project legalization but I expect 600$...

David

PD: Is there any problem with a front low pinion since I don't plan a huge lift?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

How big are the fines if you don't get it re-inspected?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:16 AM

The problem is not the fines, that are near 150$ for mod (Wheels, tires, bumpers, continue adding $$$) but the police can inmobilize your truck, plus if you've an accident the insurance company don't covers you or the injuries you've done...

The funny question is that my bumper without legalizing kills people, once I pay it becames legal and soft for pedestrians... It's pathetic!

David
Old 12-15-2006, 09:51 AM

nice find. glad to see you finally picked one up, i know you've been wanting to do the swap for a long time. as for coils vs. coilovers... the only reason most people don't run coils and shocks on yota is room on the axle for coil buckets and shock mounts. the mini truck axles are just so narrow. more power to you if you can pull it off. good luck with the build. also, if you havent heard about it, there's a 4-link calculator on pirate and othe places online. it's pretty helpful is getting your numbers right.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:10 AM

Hi Mike,

When I spoke of coils I was thinking in something like the 70 Series Land Cruiser.

I know you don't have in the US hehehe

They use the same axles that early Pick-Ups and 4Runners but some of them came with coils front and leaves rear of coils F&R.

The Aussie people are used to do swaps using the stock radius arms of those Land Cruisers. They're like the 80 Series LC ones but a bit smaller. The bad thing of that system is they give a poor flex, like in the stock Toyotas.

I'm a bit concerned about leaves being too much stiff, but I have a bumper, winch, an a diesel engine with 2 batteries...

I like a lot the Trail Gear stuff (Like the one you've), and I think is the route I'll take, I'm only a bit worried about the shipping costs... I've bought tons of stuff from the US (Lockers, lots of Aisin hubs, BJ Spacers...) but leaves are huge and weight a lot... This is the only complain I've against going leaves.

At least I've some months to think at while I earn money for the swap...

David
Old 12-15-2006, 10:41 AM

I can't believe they had to inspect your snorkel too! I also don't really understand why insurance comanies believe that a pedestrian getting hit at speed with a stock bumper verses an aftermarket one is going to be any different for the pedestrain. Either way, dude is getting messed up...
Old 12-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None of the rock crawling leaves from TG, Marlin, Allpro will be too stiff. They are really soft.

Low pinion/High pinion...if you want to use 4wd while going faster than 5mph you'll need a CV front driveshaft. CV driveshafts don't have the angular travel that a U jointed DS has so you'll end up binding your DS and blowing it up. I have a high pinion diff, single tcase and a CV and even then I only have about 3 inches of down travel before it binds. I use a limit strap to prevent too much downward travel.

So basically, if you're going with a CV driveshaft then you'll need a high pinion.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info Steve.

David
Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 PM

well cool. i had no idea there were factory setups with coils over there... nice. and as steve said, those springs are super soft. my TG 5" springs are too soft, IMO. also, try contacting Trail-Gear. they offer free shipping here, i'm sure they can work something out for you.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:02 PM

Thanks, I'll be writing them soon so I know how much time must I earn money hehehehe

I'd finish sooner if I'd win the lottery...

David
Old 12-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Congrats on your purchase, sounds like your headed in the right direction as far as planning goes and looks great! Again, congrats!!
Old 12-15-2006, 03:21 PM

I got a quick question that you might be able to answer for me:

Are the new SA fronts the same width as the pre 86 SA fronts offered here? (55.5")

And if so is the rear the narrow width found in these trucks here (55") or the wider rear axle found in the American IFS trucks built after 85? (58")
Old 12-16-2006, 02:44 PM

I don't have the axle still with me, but I'm sure that the Hiluxes with 2 live axles are like the US ones but with newer body.

This is from a friend of mine, same axle as mine:

David

Quick Reply: Look what I've bought- 89 hilux axle