The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Help me modify my trail gear bumper to have a tyre carrier.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help me modify my trail gear bumper to have a tyre carrier.

I have a trail gear rear bumper that I need to build a tyre carrier for.

I have no idea where to start or what materials I need to get.

I have a welder so any advice would be great!

http://www.trail-gear.com/bumpers

It's model 2 or 4. Not sure which as it was installed by the last owner.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

How about some idea of what you want?/

Do you want it fast and quick and it does the job or lots of bling to impress the neighbors.
How big of tires you run also needs to be considered built for a stock size tire the huge ones may have clearance problems

Do you want it to swing to the right or left perhaps drop straight down.

Maybe just make a mount that slides into your receiver hitch . Pop it in pull it out when it is in the way

Are you always going into the back for something??

Do you off road alot where a mount that swings for you to open the back could be a pain. I know Roger had a cool one I would guess there is a thread or write up some place.

Bottom line you want it as close to the bumper as possible and as low as is practical

Flat plate attached to the bumper Bolt/ weld it is your vehicle .Some sort of swing mount can be 2 pieces of pipe or a huge strap hinge modified to work.You also want a way to hold this in the swung position as well as closed.

What I have used for other people then is another flat plate with a length of 4" black pipe(I need to double check the size) The pipe takes the weight off the bolts Then 2 M12x1.50 bolts so you can attach the wheel.

These bolts can be welded to the plate the 4" pipe is welded or you can make tabs and weld them to the pipe what ever is needed to make it work

I was always going to build one for my 1st gen 4Runner but i was going some place and needed a spare
ratchet strapped the spare to the Roll bar and it has been in there since.

Good luck this should get you at least thinking
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It needs to hold a 35" tyre. I have a trail gear bumper on there already which is just bolted in. I will need to make it level again as I bent it upwards a bit finding off something. I want a swing out from the side and it would need to miss the tail lights. I am a scaffolder so have a good idea of load transfer. That said i would like to tie it to the frame and perhaps to the rock sliders i have coming.

I don't know where to start on materials at all though like a hinge or some way of keeping it closed. I have access to a tube bender at the wrecker in town which is handy. It will have to be tube as my bumper already is a tube style already.

I would like it to not ruin departure angle but still be strong. I would also like to carry a jerry can or two.

How much tube should i get? Where can i find materials? I live in gar north Canada so most if not all will have to be an internet order.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

First you need to figure just How you want to build this.

Take some measurements draw it out on paper.

Look at as many different swinging tire carriers as you can find on line.

It might just be easier to sell this bumper and design and build one to include a swing out tire carrier instead of trying to add one to the bumper you have now.

It is hard to design things without being up close and personal with projects like this.

Being on the East Coast of The US I have no idea of what vendors ship to your area.

Good Luck