The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Fillsrunner4.3 crawler (PART TWO) - pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Got a few more pics up.

So in an earlier post I momented about the header clearences. Seems to me like they didnt really have a block with sensors on it when they designed theses things Oh well no big deal. Nothing a grinder cant fix

Pass side

Another problem is that the headers run real close to a few different wires and sensors. I plan to paint them using a high temp paint and also gaurding off the spark plug wires and a few other wires in heat wrap to protect them some.

Theres a decent amount of space here to work with the exhaust.

Pass side with motor mount in progress (hope to get them in tomorrow and have the motor solidly mounted)

Also moved the power steering a few inches forward. The Allpro Hy-steer kit had a few clearaance issued between the drag ling and tierod. All fixed now and solid mounted to the frame along with some plating to reinforce.

Just look at how much less crap I have in front. I almost have it set up so that my tires are the farthest forward part of my truck. That time will come later

Oh yeah me likey

Hope the weather can hold some for me tomorrow. Lots of work still to go but one step closer I be

Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking good dude! so many stages... such a transformation... gotta love this hobby.

might want to plate both sides of the frame for that steering box, especially while it's that easy to get to. (come to think about it, i need to do the same... )
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Nice! So this is your second motor swap in how long?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
looking good dude! so many stages... such a transformation... gotta love this hobby.

might want to plate both sides of the frame for that steering box, especially while it's that easy to get to. (come to think about it, i need to do the same... )
It actualy is plated both sides with 1/4" and the top portion of the frame is also. Its not goin anywere

Oh yeah I love it

Originally Posted by YeloSub7
Nice! So this is your second motor swap in how long?
Lets just say you give me an hour while your alseep tonight and your motor will not be there when you wake

To many to short but its all good
Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Good stuff man, keep up the good work!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 PM

Good stuff man, keep up the good work!
Thanks dude!

Motors in right now ill get some pics up soon
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 PM

Motors in

Running???
Not yet but closer

New motor mounts. The motor drops and bolts right into place so easily its not even funny. The 4.3 fits perfectly!

Solid mounted and strong (strongs and understatment)

New steering linkage. Since I moved the steering box forward about 4" I had to lengthen the steering linkage.

the original piece of linkage fits in the tube about 3" both sides and if fully welded

Great clearance. The only problem is while removing and installing the header. the linkage makes it hard to get the header in and out(aiding to the hard removal is the two sensors that had the header flange problem). Its only 3 extra bolts to do the job so im not going to be to upset aspecialy with all the room I have to do it with.

One last pic. Look how far down the hood can go. Its going to help with the visual so much Not like the tall 3.4 at all
Looks kinda funny but its gonna look different when done

Helps alot with center of gravity alot too having the motor down so far!

I hope to do the exhaust work tomorrow and hope to have some parts coming this way soon so I can go wheelin again. So like always, More to come soon

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 08-01-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 PM

Got a bit more work done today. Not a whole lot but the exausht I got done about 95% Just a few more welds here and there and time to let the high temp paint dry. AA sells two different headers chrome and non plated. The chrome I believe are $217 and the non plated were only $179. So cheap for headers WOW the 3.4 downey ones I had were 3x's as much. I used the non plated headers not only to cut cost but because I would have painted them either way. The chrome if left alone will turn purple and other colors and it just didnt make sence to spend the money on chrome Ceramic would have been nice.

Used some black header paint!
I used the 4.3 y pipe off the stock exhaust to free up some space under the rig. Before I used a magnaflow ypipe that was really bulky. This Fits really well

So the list of things to do is getting shorter but today is the last day I have the ability to work on the rig at my place. Itll give me some time to do some research and save up some cash for the final purchases to get it running.

List includes to make run:
168 tooth Flywheel
Clutch
Pressure plate
Mini High torque starter
Slave cylinder off an FJ40
Copper tube for coolant lines
Custom spark plug wires
Intake
Wiring to dash and components

Anything else Oh yeah!

Sooooo close
Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

always great to see whatever your working on, sweet build...
Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 PM

always great to see whatever your working on, sweet build...

Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Back to post #81,

Phill, those plugs look like they will be a Pain in the arse to change!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Back to post #81,

Phill, those plugs look like they will be a Pain in the arse to change!

Most likely yes. :laugh the headers are real nice but do have quite a few design problems. Even if the header has to be removed to get to get the back ones it isnt going to be a very hard or long process. Good to have plenty of tools to chose from to help aid

Good point! I haven't really looked at that too much yet
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 PM

That looks about 100X more gay than the 3.0 plug design. None of them are fun to change! haha, thats definitly a problem, you should just drive out here and throw that baby into my 4runner, while you at it ill take the sas too!

We can leave my top alone though, not a big fan of the choppin.

So whats the updates?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 PM

I talked to a friend today and there is a wench that works perfect for it. The 3.0 is not even close to being easier than these Ugh I hated them

As for updates...

I ordered a flywheel and new FJ slave cylinder today. They should be in tomorrow. Going to sit front row at the M's game tomorrow so not to much else accomplished i bet Still need to order the new starter and clutch parts. Should be doing that and the coolant lines soon I hope.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Sick! So is the engine in already? and you just need to get the stuff around it?

Last edited by 904_runner; 08-05-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Sick! So is the engine in already?

Its been in and out already about 10 times but as it sits on my trailer right now the motor is in bolted up and just needs the clutch stuff, power and its running Takes about 10min to pull the motor in the state its in with the fenders off. Even once its caged should only take under 1 hour to pull out.

I tired to make it as easy as possible to take stuff in and out for simplicity and ease. Hope to have it actually fired up real soon.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM

very nice work glad to see it comin along
Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by john rumbo
very nice work glad to see it comin along
One day at a time
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM

How about a bump???????

Whats the status?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:23 PM

Not to much at the moment to really update with

Been a long few weeks with the loss of a loved one and other personal matters so havent really gotten a whole lot done sadly. Im just waiting to get the final clutch parts ordered pretty much

I got the new flywheel which is real heavy and the new Land cruiser slave cylinder. Just need the disk pressure plate and T/O bearing and should be just about ready to fire her up. Trucks stored at my buddys cause of the neighbors b*tching and till I get the other parts order I hope SOON its driving me crazy.

So since I dont have any updates right now Ill share some pics of this weekend. Didnt have my truck but my friend borrowed my chevy so I got his pickup

Of course

Ill get some more work on my truck soon. Its just time and money. As soon as I get more done Ill be sure to post up

Quick Reply: Fillsrunner4.3 crawler (PART TWO) - pic heavy!