The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Dual T-case with custom 3 stick shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eat_at_Joes
well i started thinking about what you said, so i looked on the internet. some pictures that i found suggest that there is very little room between the tunnel and TC. i keep thinking of how to seal the shafts, machining, and ext.

it seems that i always get my best thinking done in the shower

anyways i had one of those.......uh......whats it called........an EPIPHANY or a eureka moment but rather than linkages on top or the sides, what i plan on doing is using control cables or push/pull cables.

all the mechanism will actually be in side the TC. once i get the solid-works dwg done ill post it if anyone cares to see what my blabbering is all about

but the cables will run to the shift levers still so i still will run a tri-stick setup. so long story short, cables takes place of linkages. the rear shifter assembly hopefully will only stick up about 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch. this might give me enough room not to cut the tunnel.

If you guys cant tell im excited for my idea, now whether it works or not thats a differnt story
There is plenty of room for a side linkage setup like mine. I would keep an eye out for a used twin stick or catch one on sale. Use the block and modify the shafts to drop down on the sides. My linkages were like $20. They are gocart aluminum tie rods. Build the front setup to just mount on top of the stock shifter.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by toy4whatever
There is plenty of room for a side linkage setup like mine. I would keep an eye out for a used twin stick or catch one on sale. Use the block and modify the shafts to drop down on the sides. My linkages were like $20. They are gocart aluminum tie rods. Build the front setup to just mount on top of the stock shifter.
did you have to cut the tunnel? and do you have a body lift? if not maybe any pics from underneath to show the clearance?

thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
camo I think you had to have the 8' bed option for those two piece shafts with the center support. Even the ext cabs were still short wheel base I believe.

Anyway, this project looks pretty cool. Have no clue when it comes to dual cases really, but still like learning.
I'm longbed, no center join on my driveshaft.
Extended cab/shortbeds have the same driveline as singlecab/long beds.
I think it was the body style change that implemented the new shaft. Dunno though.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Cables

well i started thinking about what you said, so i looked on the internet. some pictures that i found suggest that there is very little room between the tunnel and TC. i keep thinking of how to seal the shafts, machining, and ext.

it seems that i always get my best thinking done in the shower

anyways i had one of those.......uh......whats it called........an EPIPHANY or a eureka moment but rather than linkages on top or the sides, what i plan on doing is using control cables or push/pull cables.

all the mechanism will actually be in side the TC. once i get the solid-works dwg done ill post it if anyone cares to see what my blabbering is all about

but the cables will run to the shift levers still so i still will run a tri-stick setup. so long story short, cables takes place of linkages. the rear shifter assembly hopefully will only stick up about 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch. this might give me enough room not to cut the tunnel.

If you guys cant tell im excited for my idea, now whether it works or not thats a differnt story
I was looking at doing cables, but a good cable is expensive and you have to figure out how to run the cables underneath the cab. It's only 6+" from the rear case to the front one. Be neat to see pics of your setup. We all have different ideas and resources to make stuff. Carry on.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 PM

i appreciate all the tips and suggestions you guys have givin me thus far so heres some of my progress this far.
this is a design for shift rods and the groove that you see thats meant for o ring. what do you guys think?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Cool!!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM

well heres the cable shifter dwg that i came up with. i dont know exactly how i think of this yet so out of the two what does everyone think of each one. open to comments.

please let me know what you think
also note the holes in the front, this is where the cable will come in and they will get clamped by the shifting forks.

Last edited by Eat_at_Joes; 02-06-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work. My only question is whether the cable will be stiff enough to push the shift levers, especially for those who use heavy detent ball springs.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Cables

Your design show great merit.
So what's on the other end of the cables?
How long of cables? 6-7"
Are you just using steel wire wound rope(cable) and clamping them into the levers at each end?
Have you had the shifter out of your t-case yet and measured how far it is from the top of the shifter mounting surface to the shift forks in the t-case, it looks like your levers will stick too far into the t-case?
Not trying to bring you down, just brainstorming as I type. Carry on.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i LOVE solidworks and what you can do with it. i own it as well, great job!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
Nice work. My only question is whether the cable will be stiff enough to push the shift levers, especially for those who use heavy detent ball springs.
it all depends on the size of cable im going to use and also the type which will probly be solid core.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by R.DesJardin
Your design show great merit.
So what's on the other end of the cables?
How long of cables? 6-7"
Are you just using steel wire wound rope(cable) and clamping them into the levers at each end?
Have you had the shifter out of your t-case yet and measured how far it is from the top of the shifter mounting surface to the shift forks in the t-case, it looks like your levers will stick too far into the t-case?
Not trying to bring you down, just brainstorming as I type. Carry on.
well i would rather have potential flaws pointed out before i have to rip it out an do it again, so by all means continue. anyways, i thought that i would be able to find a control cable short enough to work but the shortest i can find is 2' so right now im up in the air again about this idea. another potential issue is the strength and reliability of this setup.

might have an idea thats a combination of the 2 setups so we'll see.......

stay tuned!!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 PM

well here is my latest design. the cable setup seemed to have to many issues and like i said i made a compromise of the 2.

the rods that come out will be bent into shape and both rods will go to the right so the shifter order is 2.27, 4.7, then 4wd. normally with a tri shift it would go 4.7, 2.27, then 4wd but having it this way would just annoy me.

once again lets hear the comments

and thanks for all that i have got!!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 PM

nothing at all?? well the dual case right now might be on back order but hopefully soon i can get it to actually start fabrication.

Dont know if i said this but the plates will be milled out of aluminum and everything else will be t1 steel.

Cheers
Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 AM

I think you are at the build it and see how it works phase. This is how we learn. If you would like me to design one for you it will cost $225.00.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 AM

thanks but no. i had a couple of ideas and just was wanting to see what everyone thought but i think im going to stick with this last design. just makes me mad that i will have to wait for the cases to arrive now
Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 AM

How about you pay $225 to me and ill give you my design
Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 AM

I'm glad you are doing this, it's good to see R&D online. Have you seen Dr. Smash's lever setup? Kind of the same idea but I don't think his were machined. Might want to check it out if you haven't. Oh, how are you going to seal the shafts so the oil doesn't seep out? Or dirt and water in?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 PM

well everything will be very tight tolerances but gasket maker will be between the 2 plates and a little will be put around the shafts. once its together move the shafts back and forth to help spread the gasket stuff, then as a added barrier, rubber strip with holes smaller than the rods to create a water tight seal on the outside.

if this sounds confusing let me know.

and after the gasket maker has dried free the rods by pushing and pulling to free the bond, however, if it goes according to plan i should have a great seal around the rods.

Last edited by Eat_at_Joes; 02-09-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Sealing

well everything will be very tight tolerances but gasket maker will be between the 2 plates and a little will be put around the shafts. once its together move the shafts back and forth to help spread the gasket stuff, then as a added barrier, rubber strip with holes smaller than the rods to create a water tight seal on the outside.

if this sounds confusing let me know.

and after the gasket maker has dried free the rods by pushing and pulling to free the bond, however, if it goes according to plan i should have a great seal around the rods.
So see if I understand correctly, you are going to smear silicone all over everything to seal it then when in dries beat on the rods so they slide. Then you are going to cut up an old inner tube and stretch it over the outside for a seal. Man I kill me I'm so funny.

Quick Reply: Dual T-case with custom 3 stick shifter