The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

bobed bed, need trailer hitch, but factory wont work

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bobed bed, need trailer hitch, but factory wont work

so i have a 94 truck, with a bobbed bed. i need to put a hitch on so that i can do some towing, the most weight pulled would prob be my truck getting pulled out. i left the frame sticking out under the bobbed bed so i have about 6 inches of frame to work with. i need some suggestions, the local welding shop said they could get me all hooked up for the bargin of $825.

any suggetions, i may be able to get my hands on a welder if needed

Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM

just get good used normal square tow hitch and cut it to fit between the frame rails then weld the hitch/reciever section that you cut off the original tow package to the frame rails. you could add triangular braces for strength. thats what im doin to my bobbed yota. a used tow package you could pick up for like 40$ then just hack it down to size and weld it up.

800 somethin dollars is insane you shoulda ????? slapped the guy that said that.

Last edited by swapped89; 03-13-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 PM

I just got a hitch at a yard for $30.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 AM

here's a simplified description of what i have... a piece of 2x3x.25 c channel that caps the end of the frame. the reciever is welded to the c channel and extends down and out to clear the body. adding diagonals running back to the frame on each side will stiffen things up alot side to side. i've pulled a few trailers with it, and pulled out some very stuck full size trucks. one time i had to get extracted by a snow grooming machine [1000hp TD and 3'x18' tracks = traction] when the 4runner fell into a undersnow stream cavity. i was glad i added the lateral bracing, wish i had a picture of that one... long night, had to give that groomer some karma beers!

i'd say cap your frame with some 2x4 trimmed to the width of the body, add reciever tube in center and two diagonals running back to the frame. extras could include shackle hangers or reinforce frame with 0.25. do you want it to be weld on or bolt on? a light for the plate is about the only thing we didn't add

here's one on a friend of mine old truck, we didn't build it but we punished it. the bumper was build before the body lift [3"] and i think they cut to much of the frame, so it was built out with 2" tubing...

Last edited by rivercat; 03-14-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just did the C channel bumper on my buddy's tacoma. We extended it all the out to the entire width of the truck, instead of chopping it right at the width of the frame. We also ran diagonals inside and outside of the frame extending to the C channel on each side. Capped the ends for added strength. Cut out a square hole and welded in the hitch in the middle of the c channel. Inside diagonals attach to hitch female insert and c channel metal. I cant say we, because I only helped measure and drink the beer. It turned out good though. I think he spent $50 in material total, at the most. Hope you can picture what I am describing. If I get out to his house anytime soon I'll snap a pic.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:29 PM

x2 on what swaped89 said.. i did this on my 91 trail truck that was bobbed almost 18" cheap easy and stout
Old 03-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by rivercat
here's a simplified description of what i have... a piece of 2x3x.25 c channel that caps the end of the frame. the reciever is welded to the c channel and extends down and out to clear the body. adding diagonals running back to the frame on each side will stiffen things up alot side to side. i've pulled a few trailers with it, and pulled out some very stuck full size trucks. one time i had to get extracted by a snow grooming machine [1000hp TD and 3'x18' tracks = traction] when the 4runner fell into a undersnow stream cavity. i was glad i added the lateral bracing, wish i had a picture of that one... long night, had to give that groomer some karma beers!

i'd say cap your frame with some 2x4 trimmed to the width of the body, add reciever tube in center and two diagonals running back to the frame. extras could include shackle hangers or reinforce frame with 0.25. do you want it to be weld on or bolt on? a light for the plate is about the only thing we didn't add

here's one on a friend of mine old truck, we didn't build it but we punished it. the bumper was build before the body lift [3"] and i think they cut to much of the frame, so it was built out with 2" tubing...

that aint gonna do much for your departure angle, which is the reason for bobbing a bed
Old 03-15-2009, 04:25 PM

I used a DrawTite hitch for a Mitsubishi Montero, fits really nice and has bolt holes for plug welds to make it really strong, if you put it ontop of the frame the receiver is behind the license plate, it might just be easier to make your own though

http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/hitc...#result-anchor
Old 03-15-2009, 04:53 PM

you could do something like this.

this is mine.

2 inch square 1/4 inch wall

Old 03-15-2009, 05:04 PM

Or just buy yourself a MC bumper and trim it up to fit. Bobbed my bed 15", so I had to trim the sides as well as cut quite a bit of the mounts off. Ended up welding the bumper to the frame.

Last edited by 84YotaBuck; 03-15-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by swapped89
that aint gonna do much for your departure angle, which is the reason for bobbing a bed

no doubt bro, we'll let reason be on this one... actually didn't hang down much, like i said we didn't build it and it was avious they built the bumper BEFORE the bob and body lift. i have no idea why they extended the frame so much and placed the bumper so low [not my truck], shackles would hang up before the bumper. Anyway cheap easy beefy and home made. i'm sure we can make something better, i got a millermatic that can lend a hand...
Old 04-12-2009, 01:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking

With the bobbed truck you really don`t want to have a hitch sticking out but when you need it.

I had a problem on a Truck with a lift gate had to keep the receiver almost flush with the back of the frame for clearance . It can be a pain because the pin goes in behind the channel.

Picture a 4 inch channel with a 2 inch female receiver mounted with just the flange sticking out centered in the channel There are brackets welded to the sides giving you the option to bolt or weld . I hope that gives you some ideas.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Maybe just weld some 2-1/2" tube between the ends of the frame rails and put in a section of hitch receiver tube in the center:

Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rivercat

Ok i'm lost. Who bob the bed and not chop the frame as well?