The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

89silverpu's Swing-Out Tailgate Tire Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89silverpu's Swing-Out Tailgate Tire Carrier

I decided to ditch my old idea for a swing out tire carrier addition on to my bumper in favor of replacing my whole tailgate and making a swing out tire carrier tailgate similar to the "Tiregate" which is commercially available. I am trying to build it out of the metal and other stuff I have laying around my garage and going to try and keep the build under $50 but we'll see if that's possible. I plan on cutting up the tail gate and incorporating the sheet metal as a "skin" and use the stock latch system. I am using all the stock holes from the latch mounts and tail gate mount holes so In the end it should be a "bolt on" system. I will also be cutting off the corner pieces I added to the bumper earlier for my old idea, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The first picture is a rough sketch of what the main tailgate will be like, more gusseting/support will be added, but you'll get the jist of the idea...

Beginning of the mounts:

That's all for today, hopefully tomorrow I'll get a little more work done and get a good start going this weekend.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
cool 89. I'll be keeping tabs on your progress. I have some fab work I'll be doing soon too.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribed. cant wait to see how it turns out!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
cool 89. I'll be keeping tabs on your progress. I have some fab work I'll be doing soon too.
Thanks man, did you ever get those duals installed??

Originally Posted by NorthBendneck
subscribed. cant wait to see how it turns out!
Might be a little slow, but I wanna get it done so hopefully I don't make you wait to long lol
Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
subscribed. nice project idea!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Thanks man, did you ever get those duals installed??

No I have not had the chance to install the T-case yet. I was going to do it this past summer, but life keeps getting in the way. Now I am fixing the suspension due to negative arch in the rear leaf springs. I am swapping in some 63" chevys. Along with the rear setup, I just received a blazeland LT kit two weeks ago. After I am done upgrading the suspension. I will be finally installing the T-case.

here is my build-thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-242432/
Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 PM

No I have not had the chance to install the T-case yet. I was going to do it this past summer, but life keeps getting in the way. Now I am fixing the suspension due to negative arch in the rear leaf springs. I am swapping in some 63" chevys. Along with the rear setup, I just received a blazeland LT kit two weeks ago. After I am done upgrading the suspension. I will be finally installing the T-case.

here is my build-thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-242432/
Sweet, I'll have to check that out!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 PM

I got some more done tonight. I got the driver side mount basically finished. This is the side that is going to bare most of the load, so everything on it is made with 3/8" plate. As I was making it, I decided to go for a rounded off kind of finish, I think it makes it look a little better. Using .035 interflux and the Lincoln 140HD turned all the way up, I got some very good penetration actually, I'm pretty stoked on this welder! Anyways, on to the pics, nothing too exciting

and one to show how far it sticks out...not too bad

Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 PM

looks pretty good so far. Nice a beefy. How well do you think the attachment will hold up? I fairly sure the body work will hold it own.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 PM

looks pretty good so far. Nice a beefy. How well do you think the attachment will hold up? I fairly sure the body work will hold it own.
Which attatcment are you talking about? If you are talking about the bolts holding it to the truck bed, there will be 4 bolts on each side utilizing the stock bolt holes for the latch, and the other two mounts for the tail gate (I only have two bolts holding it on right now just for mock up). On the other side to for closing the actual gate I will be using both the tail gate latches, using the handle portion from the tail gate to open and close it, so the load will be split between 4 points; however, the tire will be offset to the drivers side hence the heavy duty 3/8 plate.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
have you considered running a brace in the floor of the bed and one maybe along the top of the bed rail?

looks pretty good
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
have you considered running a brace in the floor of the bed and one maybe along the top of the bed rail?

looks pretty good
I have been thinking a little about bracing, I was thinking of a basic 45 degree angle brace going from the inside of the tail gate opening area to the bed floor like many people have done when they take their tailgates off ...thats a good idea for the top of the bed rail. Like a J shape eighth inch plate bolted around the top of the bedside. As for the floor, are you suggesting just a strip going from one side of the bed to the other underneath or what? Thanks fort the input! Any help, suggestions, ideas, or criticism that helps is welcome!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Cool.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 AM

it looks solid for sure 89. My concern is for the fasteners them selves and how they attach to the body. Don't change your plans on our account just yet. Its a good idea and looks very simple. Simple is good. Plan it as you are, so we can all learn where the stresses maybe to much. If it works out and is solid enough over time. You won't need to brace it up further. I am sure you will get more impute as your work progresses.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 PM

it looks solid for sure 89. My concern is for the fasteners them selves and how they attach to the body. Don't change your plans on our account just yet. Its a good idea and looks very simple. Simple is good. Plan it as you are, so we can all learn where the stresses maybe to much. If it works out and is solid enough over time. You won't need to brace it up further. I am sure you will get more impute as your work progresses.
Gotcha, I see what you mean. I figured if the 4 bolts that held the actual tailgate on could support me and a buddy sitting on it (about 400 lbs) it could easily support a 100 lb tire/highlift jack combo. I guess we'll just have to see. I think with two more extra bolts holding it on, 8 total, it will be fine. As for the bracing, I think I am going to incorporate at least some moderate bracing off the bat especially since I trimmed the bottom skirt off the corner of the bed when I clearanced it for the bumper, and there was some decent structure to that. But like you said, I'll just find out as I go with what needs more bracing and what doesn't

Side note: I scored at the metal supplier I use, today I picked up 5 ft of 2"x.120 wall DOM tube, a 40"x18" sheet of 12 guage (decided I will use this to skin it rather than try and make the tailgate sheet work), and a 6"x40" sheet of eighth inch for a dirt cheap price of $16...I also picked up all of the mounting hardware I need for the whole set up for $13, so in total I have spent $29, All I have left is one more bushing for the "spindle".
Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Are the pivot points going to be double shear? Looks good so far.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
Are the pivot points going to be double shear? Looks good so far.

It should be...but as of right now it isn't going to be, but with the kind of pivot I am going to be using it wouldn't work too well (just using bushings in a piece of DOM with a 5/8 grade 8 bolt going through..cheap lol) it's gotta be tightened down pretty solid, smashing the bushing down, we'll see how it works out, I can always modify it later, just trying to make it with what i have right now.

Last edited by 89silverpu; 10-14-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
An extra tab at the top of each bushing shouldn't be that hard to add. It will be that much more solid. It'll still hold up just fine without it though, I'm sure.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
An extra tab at the top of each bushing shouldn't be that hard to add. It will be that much more solid. It'll still hold up just fine without it though, I'm sure.

Just my 2 cents.

I totally understand the idea of the tab on top, but with the poly bushing, it will have a lot of slop in it unless it is tightened down enough essentially taking all the slop out of it...and over time, it will have to be tightened down once the bushing wears out...so for now this is a far easier route rather than trying to make the tab clamp on the bushing enough...but like you said, adding a tab in the future wouldn't be too difficult if it comes to that...and eventually I may upgrade to some non-ghetto pivots lol but I don't plan on openning and closing it too often, I rarely opened my tailgate as it was.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Dang...just typed a bunch of stuff that got lost....

I really like where this is going. Might have to steal some ideas.

I'd suggest tying the left support into the bumper. At the bottom you're almost there if not already touching. Weld it and put a nice gusset on the left. For the top, I'd cap-over the top of the bed with a piece of 3/8 plate and leave enough of a "tail" to run a tube down to the side hoop.

That exta tube might not look the greatest but it would make it all damn strong and will definitely support the swingout without having to add much support on the passenger side. Remember, the tailgate gets strength from both sides at the same time, pulls on the bolts of the support arms in one direction only, and takes much of the weight on the swivel point at the bottom of the bed where it's strongest. Your swingout will pull heavily on the top rail of the bed, especially when it's unlatched and not open (cantilevered to pass side)

Quick Reply: 89silverpu's Swing-Out Tailgate Tire Carrier